LegacyGT.com

flooring vs downshift on the 5EAT?

Dont know if this is a good thing, but I usually floor my car when I quickly need to pass some car instead of using the buttons on the steering wheel or the autostick. Would this hurt the engine/tranny over the time?

I doubt it'd hurt the transmission. I personally just downshift to get my rpms higher and bam I'm gone. I think the way I do it is probably more stressful to the tranny though rather than letting the car shift it. :icon_bigg

I always drop to 3rd from 5th to pass people using the buttons, I seldom change the amount of pedal I'm using until after its downshifted. I love manumatic mode, fun when I'm not on the phone or in bumper to bumper, but not annoying like a manual can be in such situations.

if I'm on the phone or something and only have 1 hand free, I will give it a bit more gas, but I never really "stomp" on it. it responds as see_obxt said, to the speed you increase pedal so.. its pretty reasonable, best auto tranny I've had to date!

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Thanks for your responses.. in the past I downshifted from 5th to 4th - that didnt seem to respond well - now that you shift to 3rd instead, makes more sense. I need to play around with my car a little more.

I will give it a bit more gas, but I never really "stomp" on it.

I, myself, am addicted to the "stomp". I thought the addiction would wear off after awhile...but I still have it after 17 months.

Thanks for your responses.. in the past I downshifted from 5th to 4th - that didnt seem to respond well - now that you shift to 3rd instead, makes more sense. I need to play around with my car a little more.

Play with your foot...

My experience so far with this throttle by wire is that it doesn't like to be floor'd.........IMO

Got Torque ?

yea, I know on GM vehicles at least they have this thing called "torque management" which basically means the TB does whatever it feels like and tkes your foot as recommendations of throttle position.. most performance GM guys have this programmed out of their ECU.

I have a friend with a 5MT that has counceled me on how to drive as if I were in a manual lol, the only problem is you can't go directly to 3rd from 5th, you have to step through 4th, but thats easy, just bump the stick 2 times quickly or hit the buttons. 4th seems a little boggy when trying to pass people, 3rd is just right at speeds above 40.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

It's an auto if you let the car shift itself or you press the buttons. Being prepared in the right gear might give you the best immediate acceleration but if you are unsure which is the optimal gear for power just let the car decide.

I find the buttons work well for Highway type passing. Drop it to 3rd with the buttons at about 75 - 80 and let her rip.

On a twisty backroad though the buttons and the floor shifter are more of a challenge due to the delay in the actual shift. Basically I find that I have to keep the car at a speed that allows driving from 3500 - 5500 rpm and shift on the straighways if they are long enough to allow the shift to take place.

I've found that the "auto stick" type transmissions are best suited for holding a gear to keep the car's balance through turns. WOT acceleration is the same as if you just stomp the accelerator so why not let the car do it?

I find that flooring the accelerator pedal does not cause that same result in my LGT as in many other cars I have driven. It seems as though the "happy spot" is 2/3 to 3/4 of full pedal travel. Anyone else notice that? I'm thinking it's due to the drive-by-wire throttle.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

I find that flooring the accelerator pedal does not cause that same result in my LGT as in many other cars I have driven. It seems as though the "happy spot" is 2/3 to 3/4 of full pedal travel. Anyone else notice that? I'm thinking it's due to the drive-by-wire throttle.

Mines an H6, but still 5AT and drive-by-wire. Same here - a sharp stab to 1/2 way seems to meet with a nicer response than straight to the floor - like the system back off to protect itself from the maniac behind the wheel. Also notice this from standstill. Mash the throttle and there is a second's delay. Press it halfway and it takes off more sharply :iam:

Hrmm..this could explain why the transmission of the auto LGT I test drove felt so incredibly slow to downshift. "Incredibly slow" meaning it made a 2002 Camry's auto feel pretty quick to react, and that just doesn't seem right.

Yeah i also have the 5eat and i have wondered how using the buttons/manumatic shifter puts stress on the transmission. I usually put it in sportmode and use the buttons. I find myself shifting down for power rather then giving a lot more throttle. Yeah the auto in regular mode is kinda sluggish but in manual mode its really pretty fun even tho its usually delayed 500 rpm.

I also sometimes have myself wondering if i have it in the right gear. I usually just shift at 3k then let the rpms hover around 2500-2800 in a gear. Does anyone know how durable this autotrans is with the sport mode?

Archived