LegacyGT.com

Need help on tire pressures

Hey guys, I'm heading down to Medford to meet a group for a run to Crater Lake on Saturday.

I'm bone stock and this will be the first time since I got the car(900 miles) that I will push it a little.

What advice do you guys have on tire pressures for the stock tires?? The temps on Saturday will be in the 60s if that helps.

Any other advice will be accepted :lol:

I'm on stock tires as well... If you want to get any sort of performance or predictability out of them - you've got to go HIGH.

If you were looking for recomendations for taking your car out autoX-ing, then you've really got to worry about your sidewalls rolling over on the sharp sudden turns. In that case i've always run around 48psi in the front (after the tires have warmed up a bit) and 45psi in the back.

Since you wont be hitting the turns quite as hard on your canyon runs --- you could probably go a bit a lower and still get good, predicatble responses and handling.

i'd probably shoot for 42/40psi front/back and see how that feels..

of course, just my opinion...

I'm on stock tires as well... If you want to get any sort of performance or predictability out of them - you've got to go HIGH.

If you were looking for recomendations for taking your car out autoX-ing, then you've really got to worry about your sidewalls rolling over on the sharp sudden turns. In that case i've always run around 48psi in the front (after the tires have warmed up a bit) and 45psi in the back.

Since you wont be hitting the turns quite as hard on your canyon runs --- you could probably go a bit a lower and still get good, predicatble responses and handling.

i'd probably shoot for 42/40psi front/back and see how that feels..

of course, just my opinion...

Thanks Bro, anyone else wanna chime in??

not quite.. there's a bigger variable to adjust than the tire pressures.. it's the driver.

You're turning too much and cutting the wheel too hard ;) position the car first so that you make the biggest radius possible. Over inflating the tires will actually lessen your contact patch.. remember, tire pressures #1 priority is to keep a good contact patch, try not to make it a big priority on tire-rollover. Change your driving habits.. eventually you'll start to autocross effiecently, smoother, and faster and less tire damage.

Actually, he's spending more time during a turn which WILL warm up the tires a lot more than just autoxing would. Start with a lower psi so that you dont balloon the tires up during your drive.

Keefe

What if you about to roadtrip with 5-7 hours straight highway around 85mph? I generally have kept them around 35/33 cold, I was wondering how high I can crank the stockers without risking blowout d/t pressure under those conditions.

Yeah, with 39/37 the car was so tail happy, but now with the PX4s even at 36/34 it sticks like a lawyer to an ambulance that I need either bigger anti-sway bars or stiffer springs to curb the body roll, which is gonna happen in eleventyb1llon yrs. :(
I keed I keeed

Hey guys, I'm heading down to Medford to meet a group for a run to Crater Lake on Saturday.

I'm bone stock and this will be the first time since I got the car(900 miles) that I will push it a little.

What advice do you guys have on tire pressures for the stock tires?? The temps on Saturday will be in the 60s if that helps.

Any other advice will be accepted :lol:

Keep in mind that whatever PSI you set your tires to in Portland will increase a couple PSI at much higher altitude Crater Lake. I set mine to 35/32 (cold, per the manual) in the Seattle area before a trip to NM (7000+ ft). When I checked them in NM (also cold, and roughly the same air temp as in Seattle) they were 3 psi higher. I plan to add a couple psi in the fronts based on what I've read in this thread, I'm interested to see what the differences in steering response will be.

Being playing with my pressures for sometime too and have found that to have the same pressure in all tyres works for me. I really really really really dislike the sound of tyre squel when taking corners hard, just looks so common. So I run between 32 and 34 psi depending on the weather (and if I have checked my all around pressures).

I usually check my pressures every 4th or 5th fuel, so that equates to I suppose 2K kilometres or 1.5K in the old money.

Ada///M.

Just checked mine today, leaving on a short road trip in the morning, put them at 38/36 F/R. Will see how that does on combo of interstate and some two-lane highways. Felt a little firm on the ride home from work, but I can live with it.

I had 38f/36r per the advice of another LGT member and that worked well.

Be careful, I was up at Crater lake a few weeks ago and there is ice on the roads in the shade in the morning.

Thanks for the heads up on that. We'll be up there after noon so we should be alright.

Archived