LegacyGT.com

spec b clutch

reborngarcia1985

There are about 62 threads about this.

From my research, I'm going with the stock STi Flywheel and the fx300 clutch.

I had an exedy stage 1 HD(reused stock FW) installed a few months ago, and I don't like it. Heavy pedal, shudders in 1st and noisy on decel.

From what I understand any STi FW and clutch combo works as the transmissions are essentially the same besides gearing and the center diff.

I've been doing the same, trying to find reviews for ACT and Clutchmasters and even OEM STi. But as usual, forum posts swing wildly. "This one is great, quiet, smooth, holds a million torques!" and then the next post some guy says "its noisy on decel and chatters in first".....

But seeing as a vast majority of people here and on nasioc are using the fx300...I don't know. The only downside to kevlar is overheating it and ruining it, which is somewhat true for any I suppose but far worse for kevlar. Might just get an OEM STi clutch kit if it is suitable for a daily driver with a vf52.

I swapped my OEM clutch and flywheel for a new OEM STi flywheel and STi ACT HDSS clutch. ACT makes a spec.B specific clutch.

I've read that the STi and spec.B flywheels are within milimeters of each other. I didn't notice any difference between the two, but didn't measure. There is a member on this site running the OEM spec.B flywheel with an STi clutch (not sure which make). I didn't do that because I didn't want to wait for my flywheel to be resurfaced.

I'm sure when my 09 Spec B needs a clutch I'll get a Spec 2 clutch, like I have in my 05 wagon. For some reason I have great luck with Spec clutches.

Edit, I'd go with a Spec 2+ my Spec 2 last 45,000 miles at 21psi, the wagon now a Spec 2+ clutch.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I didn't measure flywheel surface diameter when I did the swap either, but I have heard/read that they are different sizes. My oem clutch gave out at 280ftlbs at the wheels

But I'm running sti clutch, flywheel, pressure plate with 360ft-lbs at the wheels with no issues. The pressure plate makes things noticeably stiffer but nothing outrageous... its feels just like an sti clutch now (surprise, surprise lol)

lol

I didn't measure flywheel surface diameter when I did the swap either, but I have heard/read that they are different sizes. My oem clutch gave out at 280ftlbs at the wheels

But I'm running sti clutch, flywheel, pressure plate with 360ft-lbs at the wheels with no issues. The pressure plate makes things noticeably stiffer but nothing outrageous... its feels just like an sti clutch now (surprise, surprise lol)

I remember in my thread from a couple months ago you told me a little about your move to the STI clutch. I've got another question for ya...

How does it grab in "launch-like" situations. My only gripe with the stock spec.B clutch is that mine seems to have no initial bite. If I try to take off aggressively, it doesn't want to grab at all, just slips like crazy with the the pedal completely released. But once I let off and it grabs, it doesn't slip at all at WOT in any gear.

/threadjack

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I remember in my thread from a couple months ago you told me a little about your move to the STI clutch. I've got another question for ya...

How does it grab in "launch-like" situations. My only gripe with the stock spec.B clutch is that mine seems to have no initial bite. If I try to take off aggressively, it doesn't want to grab at all, just slips like crazy with the the pedal completely released. But once I let off and it grabs, it doesn't slip at all at WOT in any gear.

/threadjack

To be honest I haven't tried to launch like that since I put the clutch in. That scenario is always going to be dependent on how much power/torque you have, though. With 350+ wtq, I'd expect the same reaction from the sti clutch. If you're down in the sub 300 wtq range, you'd probably get some pretty good bite. But if you plan to launch like that on a regular basis, I'd suggest going to a beefier clutch made for that kind of driving.

tl;dr - i don't really have enough experience with sti clutch to answer that question :lol:

lol

I didn't have the greatest luck with my Spec, however I really beat it up pretty bad. I went with an ACT HD-SS and I like it. However, if you can spend 1200.00 bucks on a clutch (minus the flywheel!) the FX300 is amazing. I installed one yesterday and I was blown away at the light pedal effort and smoothness of engagement.

I am having a ACT HD-SS installed in my 08 Spec B on the 29th of this month. The plan is to resurface the stock flywheel and reuse it.

I can post up a little review once I get it installed and broken in.

does your car not have a dual mass fly wheel ? If it does I am looking forward to your review

does your car not have a dual mass fly wheel ? If it does I am looking forward to your review

No, it doesn't have a dual mass. At least according to the research I have done as well as IAG and Subaru it doesn't.

But there is a lot of confusion on this subject. Subaru lists a lot of different part numbers for the SpecB flywheel and from what we could see my 08 has a regular single mass flywheel and its the same one that is used on the STi.

Of course that could all change when we tear it down on Monday. :spin:

I will keep you updated on what I find out.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the ACT clutch was installed yesterday and I am happy to have my car back running and putting all it's power down to the ground instead of my slipping clutch.

My car did not in fact have a dual mass flywheel, but I had to upgrade to an STi flywheel in order to use the STi sized clutch. The STi clutch would not work with the stock Spec B flywheel, it was too small. But for the $100 extra they charged me for the STi flywheel I was not too upset about it.

So far I love the way the new clutch feels. I still have a little shudder but that will pass after it gets broken in. I will let you know how it feels after break in, but so far I really like it. :)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
I know this thread hasn't been used in a while... If anyone is still watching, I'm wondering what the opinion is on implementing a stage 2 clutch to replace the OEM on a 2007 spec.b. I'm looking on exedy for clutches.

I just updated my post above.

I recommend a Spec 2+. I had underdog get it for me. Great price.

When I replace the OEM clutch in my Spec B this spring it will get a Spec 2+ from underdog.

I have over 2000 miles on the Spec 2+ and it still has lighter pedal feel then the stock clutch in my Spec B. But grabs real nice. Easy on your left leg.

The 2+ like the Spec 2 before has never shuddered.

I spent time talking with Jeremy at Spec Clutch about the old Spec 2. Great customer service.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived