LegacyGT.com

97 Legacy GT manual transmission shudder

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this is one of those topics that has been beaten to death already. I did try the search and did not find anything that pertained to my specific situation.

We just bought this wagon and I noticed that when pulling away from a stop in 1st gear if you apply too much gas or not enough clutch there is a violent shaking or shudder vibrating through the car.

The clutch does not slip at all and actually feels pretty good still. I am not sure when or if it was replaced. So I was hoping you guys could tell me where to start looking for what's going on.

It could be engine or transmission mounts but this is my first Subaru and thought I would ask the pro's first. Also, When I drive the car the battery and brake light kinda flashes. almost like there is a bad switch somewhere. These lights do not go an and of like a blinker but kinda flashes like there could be a short somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like your first gear is about to blow. If it doesn't do it in any other gear, it pretty much seems like someone's been having a good old time screaming off in first. To your elec's, sounds like a short somewhere. May be a bit of water leaking in somewhere.

You're describing clutch chatter.

Oil on the flywheel or clutch can cause clutch chatter, if there's oil at the bottom of the back of the motor your oil separator plate (common leak on these cars) or rear main (uncommon) has a leak. Weak or damaged pressure plate, worn pilot bearing, or hot spots could all cause clutch chatter as well. Mine does it with a brand new clutch, sometimes subarus don't play nice with resurfaced flywheels for some reason.

Bad mounts can cause a similar feeling, so it doesn't hurt to check those too.

You're describing clutch chatter.

this. i had similar things happening with my dodge truck, replaced the clutch and it all went away. i didnt change the clutch because of that, i lost (grenaded) the TB in traffic. but it stopped making the shudder after that.

Archived