LegacyGT.com

2001 Legacy supercharger

Me and my dad made a deal that if I get good grades in college, he would buy me a different vehicle. Well, the time has been coming, and we've been chatting.

He won't buy me a performance vehicle, but says if I want to add performance parts to my Legacy, he would be all for that because it would save him money (he said we could add high intake heads, turbo, etc).

I think this would be an awesome summer project: I love my car, and I'd love to make it faster.

Today, I ran across this supercharger:

http://www.raptorsc.com.au/kits.php?id=20

and noticed it was for the EJ25 2.5L Impreza RS. My question is this: Will this fit my Legacy, since it has the same engine? (I believe mine is a EJ251).

In addition to the supercharger, I'd like to add some performance headers/exhaust and lightweight pulleys. My dad mention swapping out the heads, but it might be cheaper to get my current ones ported and polished.

The only problem I have is that my transmission is auto, I'd really like to have a manual but the swap could be too expensive to be worth it.

My dad is extremely mechanically inclined and car savvy (and I'm eager to learn), so we would most/all of this ourselves.

Me and my dad made a deal that if I get good grades in college, he would buy me a different vehicle. Well, the time has been coming, and we've been chatting.

He won't buy me a performance vehicle, but says if I want to add performance parts to my Legacy, he would be all for that because it would save him money (he said we could add high intake heads, turbo, etc).

I'd love this, I love my car, and I'd love to make it faster. I ran across this supercharger:

http://www.raptorsc.com.au/kits.php?id=20

and noticed it was for the EJ25 2.5L Impreza RS. Will this fit my Legacy, since it has the same engine? (I believe mine in a EJ254).

In addition to the supercharger, I'd like to add some performance headers/exhaust and lightweight pulleys. My dad mention swapping out the heads, but it might be cheaper to get my current ones ported and polished.

The only problem I have is that my transmission is auto, I'd really like to have a manual but the swap could be too expensive to be worth it.

My dad is extremely mechanically inclined and car savvy (and I'm eager to learn), so we would most/all of this ourselves.

^Sounds like what your dad really wants is to spend time with his son modding a car.

I have no experience with supercharged subies. Where are you located? If in the USA try to find a vendor stateside because going back and forth to AUS shipping and calling can be a pain :lol:

It would be a cool project and looking at the psi it seems conservative enough not to grenate a motor too fast but still enough to make a big difference.

^Sounds like what your dad really wants is to spend time with his son modding a car.

I have no experience with supercharged subies. Where are you located? If in the USA try to find a vendor stateside because going back and forth to AUS shipping and calling can be a pain :lol:

It would be a cool project and looking at the psi it seems conservative enough not to grenate a motor too fast but still enough to make a big difference.

I agree with you, I think he wants some father-son time. He used to work a lot- he wasn't really available on the weekdays, and I was always off on the weekends. He just retired, so he has time now.

I am in Michigan. I am almost curious if it is cheaper to get a custom supercharger setup with ~7 PSI than order this thing (there are no stateside vendors :icon_cry: ). If it doesn't fit my car anyway, I will have to look into aftermarket turbos or centrifugal superchargers.

look for a guy called tradewinds hes the north american dealer of the raptor kit. he'd have all the details.

good luck boosting most n/a subies can be a hassle

Is that his name on this forum, or the name of his shop? Or what?

Are they reputable? It would be hard for me to hand over $4,000 to this company for that SC, especially over PayPal...

Why? Paypal is an additional layer of protection. ALWAYS slave your paypal to your c/card and NOT your account for additional protection.

I have no problem letting my c/card company fight whomever to get my money back. It is way easier than small claims court:lol:

Just learn what your consumer rights are and how to protect yourself and you will have no issues.

Why? Paypal is an additional layer of protection. ALWAYS slave your paypal to your c/card and NOT your account for additional protection.

I have no problem letting my c/card company fight whomever to get my money back. It is way easier than small claims court:lol:

Just learn what your consumer rights are and how to protect yourself and you will have no issues.

YES Credit card are good for one thing and that is fraud if you link your Debit and or Checking account you can count on getting shafted one day while eShopping. :)

Yea arkanos theyre pretty reputable. They make a few custom parts for subarus, and their shop is one of the best in the gta.

I havn't had any personal experiences with them, but I'll be going to them soon for work to be done.

If you're really interested in it, id contact them, or maybe check nasioc or rs25, id think there would be some talk of it there.

Most good sales websites have the funds/resources to have an integrated payment system, the fact they use PayPal just shows they are small-time. Not necessarily a bad thing, just makes me hesitant.

I want to call them but they only provide an email for contact information.

Most good sales websites have the funds/resources to have an integrated payment system, the fact they use PayPal just shows they are small-time. Not necessarily a bad thing, just makes me hesitant.

I want to call them but they only provide an email for contact information.

All using paypal shows is that they choose to accept payment in the way that millions of transactions are made in what is considered an acceptable, low-hassle online manner. Major mfr and retailers also use paypal. Maybe it works for them?

If a shop like this had the phone number out I bet they would have to hire someone specifically to sit on the phone all day long. Try emailing them and I am sure you will have more interaction with them by phone before you are done. It sounds like you don't like their business model and want something more mainstream.

All using paypal shows is that they choose to accept payment in the way that millions of transactions are made in what is considered an acceptable, low-hassle online manner. Major mfr and retailers also use paypal. Maybe it works for them?

If a shop like this had the phone number out I bet they would have to hire someone specifically to sit on the phone all day long. Try emailing them and I am sure you will have more interaction with them by phone before you are done. It sounds like you don't like their business model and want something more mainstream.

I don't like their cheap website and the fact I can't talk to someone directly. If I am going to drop $4k on a product I want some front-end to interact with and people to talk to. This is not unreasonable.

I finally got an email back from the Raptor Australian site. They referred me to the Canadian Group A website and said there was a kit that fit my model year. If I go through with this, I will start a new thread and keep everyone update.

Why has no one stated the obvious sti conversion, would it not work? A full sti powertrain with six speed could be the ticket. I am still learning a lot on here but after reading a bit that was the first thing that came to my mind. Of course I am assuming that being a 2.5 it can easily be done and maybe be more reliable and potent. Or am I offbase here...

Ok I was looking on forester.org and legacy.org and there are some that have done the sti swap it seemed like it didn't cost too much more than the supercharger kit you are looking at. That would also depend on what sti motor you were getting, but anywho thought I would throw that out there.

it is crazy expensive to upgrade to an sti engine and drivetrain...everything has to be replaced including the ecu...not sure about the wiring harness though

Not to start a flame war or anything just want to know, wouldn't he need a new ecu or piggy back to run the supercharger anyway I can understand the difference in wiring but that is also dependent on the year of the sti donor. IMO it is crazy expensive to do any of the power upgrades but if I was gonna drop $3-4k on any poweradder I would want a motor built for it.

Ok I was looking on forester.org and legacy.org and there are some that have done the sti swap it seemed like it didn't cost too much more than the supercharger kit you are looking at. That would also depend on what sti motor you were getting, but anywho thought I would throw that out there.

Not to start a flame war or anything just want to know, wouldn't he need a new ecu or piggy back to run the supercharger anyway I can understand the difference in wiring but that is also dependent on the year of the sti donor. IMO it is crazy expensive to do any of the power upgrades but if I was gonna drop $3-4k on any poweradder I would want a motor built for it.

The supercharger kit comes with a piggyback ECU, and I am going to build the engine up (to a point). I'm not throwing a supercharger on a bare stock engine.

I totally understand your point, which is completely valid, but it's not what I want to do. I would also have to do an entire engine/trans swap because I have a 4spd auto. While it would be neat to have the power of an STi in a Legacy, that's just not what I'm looking for.

I am all for your build I would like to see the end results as well, I was just offering a solution for your original post that noone had pointed to yet. But the idea that it was to expensive didn't sit right considering the cost of a supercharger and associated modifications to make it work.

I definitely see where you are going with your build and it should be a great project and hopefully a powerful one. FYI i have read on several threads on forester.org that the 4eat is plenty capable of handling power if it is setup correctly, maybe it would need a reworked valve body or better torque converter. Just throwing that out there, I haven't seen the auto take as many tongue lashings on the other forums as on this one. There are many forester turbos with the auto holding up very well on forester.org there is also a lot of good info and some helpful guys there as well.

I am all for your build I would like to see the end results as well, I was just offering a solution for your original post that noone had pointed to yet. But the idea that it was to expensive didn't sit right considering the cost of a supercharger and associated modifications to make it work.

I definitely see where you are going with your build and it should be a great project and hopefully a powerful one. FYI i have read on several threads on forester.org that the 4eat is plenty capable of handling power if it is setup correctly, maybe it would need a reworked valve body or better torque converter. Just throwing that out there, I haven't seen the auto take as many tongue lashings on the other forums as on this one. There are many forester turbos with the auto holding up very well on forester.org there is also a lot of good info and some helpful guys there as well.

I have been researching the trans more, apparently large amounts of power doesn't kill it, heat does. If I throw a trans cooler on their I should be fine.

Archived