LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

What's going on with your old wagon?

Bofh cars are in the shop. Currently searching for 3 years of "I'll put this here and remember I did" lost parts. Then I'll finish putting them on the car and start driving it again.

The racecar motor is delayed until I sell a car. Or pull the motor from the parts car.

Have started selling parts off tbe parts car. Need to get a pile on the for sale section soon. Turbo back oem sedan exhaust system, doors, glass, trim, brakes, oem sedan suspension, etc

come on, you can't whistle for the vultures and then leave them in a holding pattern all day long...

well, you can. but you'll end up with a bunch of hangry vultures. :)

Bring it on... your audience (em race funders) awaits. :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wa-boxkitas-part-out-thread-262197.html

Have to find the vin and pictures. Will be adding pictures and more parts as I clean out the garage.

The race car has found a new home. Sorry, not Gex's garage. :p

In the garage with the TPE lucky dog car and the part-out car.

Have 2 weeks off and off to a roaring start. It's 11am on the left coast and I'm just getting going after a late night party. I'm renting a truck to haul all the wagon parts to the garage. If you have parts you don't want, I'll stop by and pick them up for free. :lol:

Learning from lessons not learned. I'll be taking pics before I start ripping things off. Still need to make a gopro mount that's out of the way but still has a good view.

WagonFaceOff.thumb.jpg.540e628b347ef4f0acfa3d2872a29153.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A bit o news on this otherwise languishing thread.

MagnusonSubie stopped by the garage yesterday for aero testing the Mach V wing. The racecar has the same wing. I've been curious as to how effective it really was. You can guess all you want, but eventually you'll have to yarn up and test.

Yarning up (goto local yarn shop and buy floppiest yarn you can find, then get a roll of painters tape, then get a couple of coat hangers) involves taping pieces of yarn all over your car. If you're lucky, you'll have a certified engineer involved. He'll wait until you're done with the random taping and suggest a less scattergun approach. Took a few attempts, then we started learning.

Top of the wagon is really aero efficient. The bottom string on the aerial is 1 inch above the roof. Top string is 7 inches.

This is the same location as the roof mounted wing on the racecar. Which explains why Sgt.Gator found it so effective in limiting top speed on the straight (said the Ridge was 3-5 mph slower on the straight than without the wing).

25mph.jpg.4657b4713241621d7953b1f7a3293ee4.jpg

35mph.jpg.06fe3bb09847a734bb060a918aa5df61.jpg

60mph.jpg.1fb520e4dbb00acc0315d0065054f4b8.jpg

faster.jpg.1948185d23480a82c8085673382d7608.jpg

fastest.jpg.5989281ffe89f39b4226290102005f24.jpg

Looking at the Mach V wing/spoiler was tough because we couldn't get the camera into a position to see the top and the bottom at the same time without disrupting airflow.

So we yarned one side and set the gopro on the other side. I should have put another camera inside to view the yarns on the back window and coming off the back of the spoiler. Next time...

So this is 0 mph to 60 mph. We picked up a curious truck just before starting on the on-ramp. Still, photos are informative.

Notice the big gap between the end of the roof and the spoiler? The spoiler edge is actually higher than the roof. The gap is also bigger than the stock spoiler gap. Magnusonsubie says this is because the Mach V wing was designed for the JDM market and the rear of the wagon roof matches correctly. The wing was adjusted by hand to match the USDM wagons. Which explains the less than smooth contour of the wing. Stay tuned...working on a fix with a shop.

The gap also causes the yarns on the wing to be less straight because the air is a bit more disturbed there (in video).

The yarns at the trailing edge were mostly hanging over the edge and in some cases curled under the wing, even as speed.

AtRestAfterTestRun.thumb.jpg.aa6f132021c8d41b9f81e6482dfdea17.jpg

40mph.thumb.jpg.bb8a8d64d969847a0e18aa324b6981b3.jpg

60mph.thumb.jpg.40696359028ab2b45f0cff083ed3129d.jpg

Nice, thanks for sharing. I'm not ready to do anything yet but I've been wondering how airflow is in the area at just a few inches off the roof. Thinking about fabbing up some sort of small spoiler that comes off easily and mounts to a thin blade style cross bar that spans and attaches between the roof rails, (similar to a cross bars on a bike rack) Since I'll probably never do a massive front splitter, but still something more conservative, I'm wondering if doing "a little up front and a little out back" might give me some benefits down the road

After finding small things to change on the top, we looked at the side to see what's really going on.

It's somewhat hard to see from the angle (inside the car would have been better for this test), however, the aerials fly free and straight above the spoiler - which you can see in the pics from the top. There is low pressure on the back window, the trailing edge of the spoiler and just past the rear window seam.

We got a decent set of speeds to check so data is more better.

One of the more interesting tidbits had to do with the wing shape. The outside portion that matches the roof rails has a really smooth transition line as well as the arc of the spoiler is flatter than the center section. You can see the yarn on the outer edge is much smoother. The yarns toward the center are all over the place (video shows them flapping wildly).

AtRest.thumb.jpg.e81c61ceb8afe5340c5b09d91ff3d702.jpg

35mph.thumb.jpg.fd7cade0e859857ff58e96ec8c3afe19.jpg

50mph.thumb.jpg.251d36a4fdba3c91d4916e4020ec7217.jpg

75mph.thumb.jpg.c0a2538a1fe06840a48bb895dbd9dacf.jpg

Nice, thanks for sharing. I'm not ready to do anything yet but I've been wondering how airflow is in the area at just a few inches off the roof. Thinking about fabbing up some sort of small spoiler that comes off easily and mounts to a thin blade style cross bar that spans and attaches between the roof rails, (similar to a cross bars on a bike rack) Since I'll probably never do a massive front splitter, but still something more conservative, I'm wondering if doing "a little up front and a little out back" might give me some benefits down the road

The pictures in the first series indicate a little goes a long ways on the top. Once I get the pictures uploaded, I'll start stitching the videos together. The video for the roof mounted aerial shows the string are parallel (I call it laminar) very quickly...less than 10 mph.

I started with alot of guesses and strongly held beliefs based on a bunch you-tube videos and books. Most of the beliefs went out the window by the 2nd video.

We ran out of time (magnusonsubie provided his car and time for more than 3 hours for this) to try more stuff. The desire to put a junkyard motor in the racecar is strong now. Just to try stuff like this.

In the series the car is legal for, I'm limited on aero. Splitter no more than 6 inches out from the front bumper, aero can be no wider than 3 inches out from the side of the car (even wings), at the rear I get a box starting at the centerline of the rear wheel, going up 8 inches, back to 6 inches past the rear bumper, and down to the ground. In 2 years, the car is legal for LuckyDog racing in which all aero is legal.

This testing shows a wing mounted more than 1 inch off the roof would be effective.

As for front vs rear, start with this:

rear wings on fwd cars -

What does rear wing placement do for aerodynamics -

How does aero balancing work -

Without back to back testing, it'd be hard to feel the differences. Maybe not. Sgt.Gator noticed a speed difference with the wing...