LegacyGT.com

High compression build

Not that I know of, most of us want to go with the EJ22 and swap the EJ25D heads on to make a lower compression hybrid, We will then turbo those lower compression engines... I believe there was one person who was thinking about doing it awhile back but ended up scrapping the project.

To answer your question, many also do the HI-compression build, known as the 'frankenstein / franken-engine' build, which is the 2.5 short block w/the 2.2 heads. Good low-end torque and mid-range; not so much up top. 10.5+ CR. That w/some Delta Cams can get you close to a low-end boosted setup.

BTW, did you do the #'s on your build to deteremine you final CR?

TD

• 2 months later...
I support this. I'll have enough spare parts to build the ej25d/ej22e high compression frankenstein and already have the correct cometic headgasket, but mine will be a spare motor and hopefully spend most of it's life on a stand.

Lol mine is for my offroad project car.

Why not just deck the block? It's an old school hot rodder thing to have the mating surface (where the heads meet the block) milled away so that the piston comes up closer to flush with the mating surface? I've seen it done on tons of older motors but never on a subaru... maybe for good reason.

I did one with EJ251 block (pistons don't clear the deck, and have smaller valve indentations), thin cometic HGs, and DOHC heads. Worked out well. Definitely felt more responsive/torquey compared to the stock EJ25D. Spun a bearing though so I'm EG33 swapping this Spring.

• 3 weeks later...

Highest compression fusion for our cars:

1997-1999 EJ25D heads.

1996 EJ25D block.

Instant 11:1 compression ratio and no need to customize too much or get custom head gaskets to get it to work.

Your current fusion isn't bad. It should be just shy from 11:1, but still much more compression than any stock N/A EJ25.

Archived