LegacyGT.com

AEM CAI Oil analysis results!

edmundu

Well, I got my oil analysis back yesterday....

Si = 11ppm

For those unfamiliar with these anaylsis'... the Si = Silicone, which equals dirt suspended in the oil. Pretty much the only way for Si to get into the engine is thru the air filter media. My previous 4-5 oil analysis' with both the AVO panel filter, and oem paper filter were:

AVO panel

Si = 8 & 13ppm

OEM paper

Si = 7, 8 & 11ppm

So this AEM dry filter is doing a very good job(as did the Avo), and there is absolutely no need to fear you are giving up filtration/longevity for performance.

Another note: This was on GC 0w30, and I also had a TBN test, which basically determines how long you can keep the oil in the engine. Mine read 6.3, with 6.1k miles on it! What this means is it could easily go 7.5k, and likely closer to 9k miles between changes...and this on a 400+ bhp engine to boot! I don't like taking the oil that far out, even if the #'s say I can, so I usually do 7-7.5k OCI's.

The rest of the analysis showed the engine to be in great health, and in fact actually has equal and in some areas lower ppm wear metals than universal averages for this engine:icon_bigg !

Edmundu,

If you have an oil analysis done on an 'unkown' oil can they tell you its viscosity and make-up? I ask because the blower on my truck uses a 'proprietary oil' that the manufacturer way overcharges for and will not release the details of what it is. Thus they have you 'by the balls'

Edmundu,

If you have an oil analysis done on an 'unkown' oil can they tell you its viscosity and make-up? I ask because the blower on my truck uses a 'proprietary oil' that the manufacturer way overcharges for and will not release the details of what it is. Thus they have you 'by the balls'

With a virgin oil analysis, and Terry Dyson looking at it, they might be able to discern the majority of the concoction. Some things they won't be able to tell, viscosity is easy.

If it really is expensive, then it would be worth the $$ to have it tested.

Good info!

That's a lot of oil analyses! Volume discount? 8^)

I just got my first kit. I'll try an analysis at my next oil change.

Yeah, volume discount(still only about $3 savings), and I even have the vacuum pump! So much easier to draw samples, not to mention more consistently.

Thank you! Although I figured AEM would use a good filter your definitive words mean a lot, as usual.

I just ordered a test kit from Blackstone Labs so that I may also KNOW my engine's truth.

Searching revealed what I figured, I waste a lot of good oil changing it too often "just to make sure." Perhaps once I get an oil analysis of my own I can change the interval.

Truth is, there is a small element of worry that I might find out something I don't want to know.

I had elevated Si at around 15k miles. Blackstone said it was likely from the engne block casting process. Said it should taper of with mileage.

I haven't tested since. I change the AF element every 15k miles to be on the safe side.

There is silicone all in your engine. Gaskets, valve seals, sealant goop on the covers, sand left in cracks from the sand casting process, crank and cam seals, etc.

Why would you think an oil analysis of Si content would have anything to do with an air filter??

Have you ever taken an engine apart?? The tiny amount of blow-by could not possible affect the oil enough to analyze how efficient the air filter is. Never heard of your style experiment. Why not just test the filter all by itself?

Intake air and oil never come in direct contact with each other.

Your oil is too thin. Do you kow anything about setting up main/rod bearing clearences when building an engine? Our engine is built for a certian oil, for a reason. Unless you have closed up your bearing clearence, I would go back to the OEM viscosity. Just my 2cents.??

Typical engineer, overthinking, mis-informed, and completely off track.

(just bust'n your ballz)

There is silicone all in your engine. Gaskets, valve seals, sealant goop on the covers, sand left in cracks from the sand casting process, crank and cam seals, etc.

Well of course there is, when fresh built or recently opened up. But if you have elevated silicone after 67k miles, trust me YOU HAVE excess dirt getting past the air filter. It is well known that Silicone = dirt, not sure why you would think otherwise...

Why would you think an oil analysis of Si content would have anything to do with an air filter??

This isn't my own test, it is an industry std. One which many thousand's of commercial trucking co's use to judge their fleets health. Not to mention the oil junkies over on BITOG. This BTW, is not just an Si test, but an complete oil analysis.

They have way, way, way more knowledge than you or I when it comes to oil and lubrication, so I think I'll follow their thoughts/opinions rather than yours.

Have you ever taken an engine apart?? The tiny amount of blow-by could not possible affect the oil enough to analyze how efficient the air filter is. Never heard of your style experiment. Why not just test the filter all by itself?

I have disassembled a few engines, and am keenly aware of how much blowby is seen on average past the rings. If you feel that 5-7% blowby over 6k miles of operation doesn't contribute to oil contamination, you are pretty much all alone, and in direct contrast to actual oil experts.

You would do yourself a huge favor in conversing with Terry Dyson, as he can pretty much tell you the engines life story from just a couple of analysis'. Until I had the LGT, I had never heard about oil analysis' either, but they do exist, and they are extremely valuable in monitoring the overall health of one's engine. The data doesn't lie.

Testing the filter itself does not compare to real world testing under actual driving conditions/environment. Not to mention a fair amount more expensive than a few oil analysis'.

Intake air and oil never come in direct contact with each other.

:orly: ....You would be dead wrong on that too! They indeed do. Guess you're not familiar with the PCV system's operation? Have YOU looked into your turbo or IC to check for residual oil? How do you suppose it got there?

Your oil is too thin. Do you kow anything about setting up main/rod bearing clearences when building an engine? Our engine is built for a certian oil, for a reason. Unless you have closed up your bearing clearence, I would go back to the OEM viscosity. Just my 2cents.??

Typical engineer, overthinking, mis-informed, and completely off track.

(just bust'n your ballz)

MY oil is too thin?:lol: You have pretty much confirmed my general suspicions of your limited oil knowledge with that statement. GC 0w30 is 12.2cst @100* celsius, practically a 40w, but with excellent cold flow characteristics. Hardly considered thin...:rolleyes:

I do have some knowledge on bearing assembly/tolerances, mostly with ford 5.0's, and other detriot iron, but somehow I doubt it would be much different on JDM or EDM designed motor's. On the contrary, I think I'll stick with my GC or similar oil, as it is superior to just about any otc oil available.

I figured as long as we were adding pennies, I would throw mine in as well:icon_wink .

And since I wasn't quite sure about how to interpret your last comment...IF you were just pullin' my chain, then disregard what I wrote above, otherwise I firmly stand behind it.

Turbo2nr... someone sh!t in your cornflakes this morning?:)

Actually,

I caught my son talking about weed and cigs last night on AIM. Looked at a previous log of conversation. Long story, had stuff stolen from my garage recently including a laptop. Local kids driving me nutz!~!~ They break in and steal my cigarettes. I know I should not smoke.

I am pissed and tired. Sorry guys.

Some aftermarket filter // AI kits // replacements for OEM // are known contributors to 'engine gravel'.

There's a popular one out there, I think it's K and N, that's claims HP increases due to greater air flow. Of course greater AF commonly means less filtering. There's tons of doc for this out there on the web. BITOG comes to mind, Nosaic too.

• 8 months later...
GC = German Castrol. Available only sporadically (and perhaps not at all anymore) from Autozone only. The whole "German" part simply refers to the made in Germany 0W30 weight. There is a made in the USA 0W30 and it is not the same thing. GC is a very good oil.

Another note: This was on GC 0w30, and I also had a TBN test, which basically determines how long you can keep the oil in the engine. Mine read 6.3, with 6.1k miles on it! What this means is it could easily go 7.5k, and likely closer to 9k miles between changes...and this on a 400+ bhp engine to boot! I don't like taking the oil that far out, even if the #'s say I can, so I usually do 7-7.5k OCI's.

don't do it.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1359864

Thanks, but I trust my oil analysis', rather than some blanket CYA statement by SOA. Not to mention, how the engine runs on a daily basis. There is simply NO TRUTH to having to change oil at such short intervals on all cars, under all conditions. Under some, yes, but most do not require such short OCI's.

I have over 80k miles, half of which pushing alky injection on a bigger turbo, and the other stg1/2+, car still runs very strong. I generally run 6k OCI's, particularly now that I have mostly city driving miles.

Do you know that color does not have much in common with oil life.

Krzys

Yes I do, but I'm an old timer around here. If it's black and it stinks, out it goes....I really don't care how much the oil costs.

Gee, when I read that back to myself I feel like I am devulging my sexual preferences with A/Americian women:lol:

• 1 month later...
Thanks, but I trust my oil analysis', rather than some blanket CYA statement by SOA. Not to mention, how the engine runs on a daily basis. There is simply NO TRUTH to having to change oil at such short intervals on all cars, under all conditions. Under some, yes, but most do not require such short OCI's.

I have over 80k miles, half of which pushing alky injection on a bigger turbo, and the other stg1/2+, car still runs very strong. I generally run 6k OCI's, particularly now that I have mostly city driving miles.

Edmundu

Are you using any oil at all between changes?

Archived