LegacyGT.com

Engine and Turbo Blew

I just took my car in to the dealer to see what was up with it making some weird noise. They say my oil was too black and that I didn't change my oil on time. They say it voids my warranty! Not sure what to do, it only has 38,000 miles on it. Not sure if I should look for a used one or have Subaru fix it. Any Ideas! I feel like I'm getting robbed, whats the point of the power train warranty? I'm not even that far over on my oill change either. Needs new turbo too!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a probably a thousand over but they cant prove that. They say I have to keep all records or the warranty in void. Who the **** keeps oil change records? Well I guess I will now! They say my oil was really dirty and thats what caused the turbo to blow!

I am a probably a thousand over but they cant prove that. They say I have to keep all records or the warranty in void. Who the **** keeps oil change records? Well I guess I will now! They say my oil was really dirty and thats what caused the turbo to blow!

1,000 miles over will not kill a turbo. Who's keeps records? Most people with new cars and many people who do their own maintenance. Record keeping aside, something doesn't add up here.

Up to this point, 38K, you have no maintenance records in reference to oil changes?

ignore him, he'll go away.

Who the **** keeps oil change records? Well I guess I will now!

Consider this a good lesson - always, always, ALWAYS keep records of everything. This is why I have the dealership do all maintenance so that if something like that does come up, you don't have to deal with the finger pointing game.

Ya know, I do all my own oil changes (and other maintenece for that matter) and I write them down in the little book that comes with the owners manual. Does this count as "records" as far as the dealer is conserned? I hope I don't have any problems, but if I did am I SOL?

BTW, I bet a lot of people here do the same thing.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Ya know, I do all my own oil changes (and other maintenece for that matter) and I write them down in the little book that comes with the owners manual. Does this count as "records" as far as the dealer is conserned? I hope I don't have any problems, but if I did am I SOL?

just keep receipts of your oil and filter purchases (where ever you buy them from)

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Don't get me wrong - it's perfectly legal to do things on your own or use your own preferred shop. But for peace of mind and not wanting any legal mess should something arise, this is what I choose to do. It's purely out of convenience in the event of a disaster with the car.

Take them to court and make them prove it was engine failure due to lubrication failure. Get an oil analysis done.

Oh yeah and change your oil on time, don't let it go 8,500 miles between changes for cryin' out loud.

Good luck, personally I think youre screwed. I fought them for a tranny they ruined, and the best I got was them to cover half. BTW half was 2000 dollars. I feel your nightmare. Call SOA and talk very nicely, and then pray to god. Get yourself an attorney ASAP.

First step: get an oil analysis done

Second step: if comes clean, you're all set with proof in hand and you can fight subaru. if oil is bad, learn your lesson and change your oil.

My parents do the same thing. They don't know a single thing when it comes to car maintenance. I'm anal about these things and ALWAYS and RELIGIOUSLY change my synthetic oil every 4-5k.

Don't get me wrong - it's perfectly legal to do things on your own or use your own preferred shop. But for peace of mind and not wanting any legal mess should something arise, this is what I choose to do. It's purely out of convenience in the event of a disaster with the car.

That's what the dealer wants you to think as they're bending you over the service counter for oil changes. :lol:

My Subaru dealer sells an "oil change package" consisting of an OEM Subaru filter, crush washer and 4.4L of 5W30 oil for $19.99. It's the same place I take my car for service so it works out well.

First step: get an oil analysis done

Second step: if comes clean, you're all set with proof in hand and you can fight subaru. if oil is bad, learn your lesson and change your oil.

Good plan!

On the issue of keeping records;

I record my activities on my.subaru.com. I realize it means as much as a little book....but at least the date you entered the information is noted. Receipts don't mean so much when you buy in bulk like me. I bought a case of filters and tend to buy enough oil for multiple changes.

Good luck, personally I think youre screwed. I fought them for a tranny they ruined, and the best I got was them to cover half. BTW half was 2000 dollars. I feel your nightmare. Call SOA and talk very nicely, and then pray to god. Get yourself an attorney ASAP.

+1

How many miles took you anyway between now and the last oil change?

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

05 is the only year the turbo itself is covered under the subaru powertrain warranty. For 08 model year subaru calls for a mandatory 3850 mile oil change interval on all turbo cars or else you void the warranty. The turbo is the hottest part of the engine and really cooks the oil. I know there have been many turbo failures attributed to the 7500 mile oil change. This long of exposure to those types of temps make the oil start to sludge. The tech at the subaru dealer recommended that anyone with a modded suby motor run 10w-40 oil during warmer months. He said they saw a guy cook his turbo on a mooded wrx because the 10w-30 sludged up and plugged up the turbo lines (where that bango bolt filter is)

It doesn't sound like you went that far over at all.. hope this is true for your previous changes or else I would say you had it coming

Hope everything works out though, I would let the dealer try and source you a new motor/turbo.

Couple questions...

How was the previous oil change done? Did you do it yourself or did you take it somewhere? If you took it somewhere, they might be able to help you out as they keep records as to when you had the oil changed and at how many miles.

If you did it yourself, how did you pay for it? Did you use some sort of credit/debit card where you can get the date of the transaction? This will help you in determining how many miles went since the previous change.

Bottom line, you're getting screwed and it is a bunch of bullshit. But get ready for the BOHICA factor.

Archived