LegacyGT.com

Suspension recommendations

uncle humjaba

Hi all

I'm looking at getting some suspension under my 05 Legacy. 57k miles on the factory setup, which is not blown, but rather squishy (I'm sure it came this way from the factory, but I just bought the car). I am concerned with handling first, and last. As far as appearance, I think it looks just fine at stock ride height, and as a daily driver / canyon blaster I'm a fan of suspension travel. Not opposed to lowering, but I'm not at all concerned with the appearance aspect. I'm coming from the Miata world, where the key to grip and stability on real roads is well damped compliance. What would you recommend for this purpose?

My own research has me leaning towards koni sport inserts with swift springs. However I have heard horror stories (personal friend) of the bottom bolt on the insert working its way loose though - do any of you have any experience with this? I've heard good things about epic springs, but I have no interest in a raked stance - the car is already nose heavy.

So many options :spin:

Thanks

I would go with the Koni inserts. I haven't heard of any issues with the bottom bolt coming loose with proper install. If you wanted to keep all the travel and have a very comfy ride maybe do Koni's with oem springs and aftermarket sway bars?

If you want the springs to be a bit stiffer then you'll need aftermarket ones, but then the car will be lower and you'll loose a bit of travel. I've never ridden in a car with just Koni's and oem springs, but I'd imagine it would be better than the factory specB suspension.

You shouldn't mix and match JDM style springs with USDM top hats. The Swifts are JDM springs and, thus, the rated front drop is based on the use of a Bilstein-style top hat. If you use the Koni inserts w/ your stock KYB style top hats (which is what is required for Konis), be prepared for the front end to be even lower (approximately 1/2 to 5/8 inch more drop) than rated.

If you want to use Swifts, pinks, or other JDM style springs, you should use a front strut that uses the JDM/Spec B top hat, such as Bilsteins or Tokicos. If you want to use Konis, pair them up with a spring with a rated drop based on the use of USDM top hats, such as Epics, Eibachs, Rallitek, Cobb, etc.

My personal recommendation for lowest drop and better dampers is Bilstein HDs with pinks. Run the wagon pinks in the rear so you don't get a saggy butt.

^ I knew the top hats were different, but was unaware of which springs were compatible with which top hats. Thanks for that info. I had Eibach pro-kit springs on my Mustang and they were awful - looked good, but way too soft in the front and too stiff in the rear. Are the progressive rates any good for the legacy?

You can mix and match JDM springs w/ KYB-style top hats and USDM springs w/ Bilstein-style top hats, but your front ride height won't reflect the rated drop for that spring. That's why people who mount pinks or Swifts on stock struts or Konis complain that they are slammed in the front and why people who mount Eibachs or Ralliteks on Bilsteins complain that the front end didn't get lowered at all.

I have no exerience with the Eibachs, but several people have had success with them on stock struts. I believe that the Eibachs, Epics, and Ralliteks are essentially the same spring, i.e., a modest drop (approximately -0.9") progressive spring made by Eibach under three different names, but I could be mistaken.

Archived