LegacyGT.com

Will trip computer in the cubby work with Spec. B nav wiring harness

Rushin

It's easy to wire in though. The wires you need for it are in the NAV harness.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Funny -- another 2008 spec.B owner asked me this same question last week.

There are two different clock modules. You'll need to find the correct one that corresponds to your combination meter (instrument cluster). It's possible that cars with the OEM nav system have a different combination meter that neither of the clocks will work with. You'll have to do a little research.

The 2008 wiring diagrams show these two varieties of clocks:

• "With fuel gauge ambient air temperature residual driven display"

and

• "Only clock display (with illumination control)"

Both need:

• +12V Battery (constant)
  • +12V Accessory (key switched)
  • Ground

The first clock (with temp, etc.) also needs Illumination (+12V when lights on -- the violet wire).

The simple clock also connects to the Body Integrated Unit (the black/white dimmer wire), and to +12V Ignition (on/run).

(It seems odd that both clocks don't get both illumination and dimmer wires. I wonder if there's an omission on the diagrams?)

All of the above are available on the nav display harness (the 16-pin harness i119).

However, both clocks also connect to the combination meter (harness i10), each type to a different pin --

• Clock with temp to pin A18 (on combination meter type "normal meter")
  • Simple clock to pin A13 (on combination meter type "multi meter")

Neither of those signals are shown on any of the nav's harnesses. The nav screen connects to the BIU via CAN bus (twisted pair of wires), which also talks to the combination meter.

So you may have to add a pin/wire to the combination meter harness. Or if a stub wire already exists, you'll need to tap into it.

I'm the other owner :)

The clock I saw was the one with temperature/fuel comsump/others, I saw that in an Outback 3.0R 2007 that my friend was trying out...

Looking in the used vehicles listings, I saw this one: http://www.autohebdo.net/a/Subaru/Outback/KITCHENER/Ontario/5_10125300_ON20080331102352937/

It has SI-Drive and a clock, and the cluster looks like it has the advanced combination meter, so that clock should work. Looks like it has only a clock in there though, I wanted the clock + secondary display :(

I guess I will have to buy one and try it out!

The 'advanced' clock is shown with the "normal meter." The 'simple' clock is shown with the "multi meter."

The two meter styles have significantly different pin-outs. So you can't, for example, connect a simple clock to the normal meter's pin 13.

Which combination meter does your spec.B have? The first thing to do would be to check with a Subaru parts dept. and see if your meter has the same part number as that same style of meter in a 2008 non-nav LGT. Then get the part number of the corresponding clock (and see which years/models use that same clock).

• 4 months later...

Alright, I did try some things here.

I got a clock display with MPG/Temp display from a car in Israel, only place I could find it. Exact same body style as 2008-2009 in North America.

I got the clock working, it needs 12V constant, 12V Accessory switched and ground only. I also hooked up illumination, which only turns on the back light on the "DISP" button - no brightness change on the clock.

The temp/etc display is turned on by the ignition switched pin, and is looking for data signal on pin 5 which goes to the cluster. I tried hooking that up to both pin A18 and pin A13 of the cluster, but all I get is an Err message on the display. So my thinking is either pin isn't provisioned on our Spec B clusters.

End result for now, I got a clock! And since the cluster clock on the Spec B gets it's clock display from the NAV, since that link is broken I don't have a clock anymore on the Multi Displays (is that the right name?). That is fine since I don't need it anymore, I can see it at all times on my right anyway :) All the timed functions (E/T time, is there others?) run fine too.

So looking at the diagrams, my understanding is that the Navigation system gets it's mileage/fuel averages etc from Canbus as I don't see any connections to the combination meter. So the next step would be to "listen" on the Canbus for the information and output it to the clock using those formats: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/trip-meter-hacking-thread-79982.html?t=79982 Little electronics project to come at some point!

That is all for now... really happy to have the cubby actually useful :) (some people call me nuts for removing a factory nav though!)

Archived