LegacyGT.com

Well, the LGT sure does crash well...

Sounds like I might be the first!

Hit some black ice, fishtailed like crazy, spun around, plowed through a light pole, hit a ditch, cartwheeled a few times...

My only complaint, and it's a biggie - the driver's side (head) airbag did not deploy, yet the passenger side did (I was the only occupant). If my side airbag had deployed, it probably would have saved me a nice lump on my nugget, as well as the partial loss of vision in my left eye. CAT scan shows negative for a concussion, but the spots I'm seeing are from a bruised occular nerve (from the impact). I also received 4 stitches on the top of my right hand, and I think that about sums up my injuries.

No, I don't have pics. The car was very smashed up, but the passenger compartment was fine. It was 1.5 weeks old, 700 miles. I'm not an inexperienced driver, with 200,000 miles in other AWD cars- I almost pulled myself out of this spin, but couldn't. I'm wondering what stability control could have done...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man... 'Ouch' is the only word that comes to mind. That really sucks. I'm glad you are ok though. That just goes to show that the Legacy is a safe car in an accident. That thing with the airbags is a concern.... that is a lawsuit right there.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Sorry to hear that bro...

One thing I have learned when driving an AWD car is that it is not a FWD car... The worst thing you can do when fishtailing is let off the power or hit the brakes. Just ease onto the power to get some weight onto the back end and let the wheels pull you through.

But I understand theres some things that you couldent avoid. i would like to know more about the situation so that we can prevent such problems in the future.

As much as I have faith in the subbie AWD system I would like to comment that a VSC system could have helped in this situation. A computer will always be better than a human in terms of unexpected corrections because it can instantaneously apply the most aggressive course of action slowing you down quickly and safely. It may not be the fastest way around a track but it is definately the safest.

Wether it would have helped here is another story. It depends on how much ice was on the road. Sometimes theres nothing anybody or anything can do.

It IS a horrible tire. Not saying that it caused the accident... but the reason why alot of us complain about it is because they genuinely SUCK objectively and subjectively. Nearly everybody who has had the tire on any model line complains about them. Im just saying when enough people start complaing about somthing, that somthing just MIGHT be wrong...

my 0.02 cents.

Umm Subaru? Fix the damn airbags already! Lawsuit might do them good to fix things once and for all. Glad you are okay considering what happened!

I think a few days after a snowstorm are the worst for driving. Roads are clear, but if there is any freezing/thawing going on, runoff from snowbanks can turn into black ice.

-B

Glad you are ok! sorry to here about the car. Will you get another Subie?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Jared, when did this happen? Not today I'm assuming? Damn dude, that sucks.

And you are definitely deserving the name Crash, and I'm never riding in a car with you :). Some people just attract bad luck, you seem like you might be one of those ;).

I'm guessing you are fully insured and won't be taking a hit on this.

Sorry to hear about the crash. I changed to dedicted winter tires within a week of owning the car. All seasons just don't cut it when it comes to ice. My tires are not the greatest winter tires, but they are light years ahead of the stock all seasons

Yokohama AVS winter

http://www.wardphotography.net/lgt/IMG_1081.JPG

the driver's side (head) airbag did not deploy, yet the passenger side did (I was the only occupant). If my side airbag had deployed, it probably would have saved me a nice lump on my nugget, as well as the partial loss of vision in my left eye.

I think when you cart-wheeled, you crushed the passenger side front bumper and rear bumper sensors, and didnt really touch or moved the left front. The side curtains usually activate when a side impact occurs. The SRS sensor for the passenger seat is for side impact airbag (although it should also be wired up for the passenger head-on air bag as well).

Glad you are ok, sucks to go into a spin doesnt it?

Keefe

Keefe

Jared, when did this happen? Not today I'm assuming? Damn dude, that sucks.

And you are definitely deserving the name Crash, and I'm never riding in a car with you :). Some people just attract bad luck, you seem like you might be one of those ;).

I'm guessing you are fully insured and won't be taking a hit on this.

Happened Monday, during that little blizzard we had. Except the sun was shining where I was, further leading to the formation of black ice!

Archived