LegacyGT.com

Considering getting a Legacy GT or GTO...few questions

gunslash

Hello!

First to introduce myself. I'm a car enthusiast and I appreciate ALL types of cars(or trucks) domestic or import,

4,5,6,8,10,12 cylinder...na or fi matters not.

My past vehicles include a 1998 Grand Prix GTP, 2000 Nissan Altima,

and I currently still own a 97 GTP. None were stock of course, the current GTP is the fastest, but I haven't had a chance

to run it at the track due to my current deployment overseas.

I did a bit of research, but the internet here is slow and irregular, so I don't get 2 second results, and plenty of time outs.

So please don't pounce on me too hard please as I know these questions have been asked before....

I plan on getting "a car" when I get back, and my options were a 05/06 GTO, WRX, Legacy GT. I knocked the WRX off the list

because I feel like I'm a little bit too old/grown up for that, and if I go on a date or something I don't want her to

remember the rowdy ride lol. So now I'm left with two choices, a 4at GTO or a manual LGT. Both have the obvious upsides in my mind.

GTO: much faster, nicer interior, sounds good, good reliability, mod friendly

LGT: fast, good interior(never sat in 1 though), AWD, FI, better mpg, mod friendly, better handling, sleeper factor

I live in NYC so AWD is a good thing, though I plan to make a move to Vegas sometime in 2008.

Now I don't want this to become a gto vs lgt thread please. I am just doing some reasearch still.

My goals if I get a LGT modwise is Top Mount Intercooler (how much more efficient is it then factory, really though?), intake, hi flow catted downpipe,high 12s

maybe headers (though I haven't seen much results with them on lgt?), and obviously a quality tune. I want roughly a car that can trap about

106-107mph at the strip. I'd say my performance budget is about $2500 or so and then another $1000 or so tops on suspension.

I am just afraid to do the downpipe/exhaust work if the car's going to get unbearably loud...are there any factory quiet options (besides stock lol)

for aftermarket exhaust work?

My goal is to have a "grown up car", that handles and pulls like a kid's car without the rattles and obnoxious

exhaust burps. Of course I realise some compromises will be made for performance.

How has the reliability been with the LGT in general, I've read a long term review of motor trend's LGT and they seemed to have a lot

of issues, but mostly it seems that subarus always had a good track record with reliability it seems to me.

I've never really driven a manual car before, how hard is the legacy transmission/shifter to get along with for a relatively

new manual driver. I've driven my friend's manual car around a parking lot before and I've driven a "deuce and a half" aka

a big old army cargo truck with a m/t for a few hours before...

Think my goals are reasonable, anything to change?

If I go the legacy route I'll get a used one since they seem to depreciate nicely and make for a good used value.

Thank you!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello!

First to introduce myself. I'm a car enthusiast and I appreciate ALL types of cars(or trucks) domestic or import, 4,5,6,8,10,12 cylinder...na or fi matters not.

My past vehicles include a 1998 Grand Prix GTP, 2000 Nissan Altima,

and I currently still own a 97 GTP. None were stock of course, the current GTP is the fastest, but I haven't had a chance to run it at the track due to my current deployment overseas. I did a bit of research, but the internet here is slow and irregular, so I don't get 2 second results, and plenty of time outs. So please don't pounce on me too hard please as I know these questions have been asked before....

I plan on getting "a car" when I get back, and my options were a 05/06 GTO, WRX, Legacy GT. I knocked the WRX off the listbecause I feel like I'm a little bit too old/grown up for that, and if I go on a date or something I don't want her to remember the rowdy ride lol. So now I'm left with two choices, a 4at GTO or a manual LGT. Both have the obvious upsides in my mind.

GTO: much faster, nicer interior, sounds good, good reliability, mod friendly

LGT: fast, good interior(never sat in 1 though), AWD, FI, better mpg, mod friendly, better handling, sleeper factor

I live in NYC so AWD is a good thing, though I plan to make a move to Vegas sometime in 2008. Now I don't want this to become a gto vs lgt thread please. I am just doing some reasearch still.

My goals if I get a LGT modwise is Top Mount Intercooler (how much more efficient is it then factory, really though?), intake, hi flow catted downpipe,high 12s maybe headers (though I haven't seen much results with them on lgt?), and obviously a quality tune. I want roughly a car that can trap about 106-107mph at the strip. I'd say my performance budget is about $2500 or so and then another $1000 or so tops on suspension.

I am just afraid to do the downpipe/exhaust work if the car's going to get unbearably loud...are there any factory quiet options (besides stock lol)

for aftermarket exhaust work?

My goal is to have a "grown up car", that handles and pulls like a kid's car without the rattles and obnoxious

exhaust burps. Of course I realise some compromises will be made for performance.

How has the reliability been with the LGT in general, I've read a long term review of motor trend's LGT and they seemed to have a lot

of issues, but mostly it seems that subarus always had a good track record with reliability it seems to me.

I've never really driven a manual car before, how hard is the legacy transmission/shifter to get along with for a relatively new manual driver. I've driven my friend's manual car around a parking lot before and I've driven a "deuce and a half" aka a big old army cargo truck with a m/t for a few hours before...

Think my goals are reasonable, anything to change?

If I go the legacy route I'll get a used one since they seem to depreciate nicely and make for a good used value.

Thank you!

obviously, these are two very different cars. I have heard many many great things about the GTO and i hear it's a great car for the price - thats what they say about the LGT too. The LGT is just as mod friendly as the GTO is and i'd say they both have a big sleeper factor.

From what i have heard the TMIC that is on the LGT is actually pretty efficient, more so than the one in the <08 WRX, as they are using the (smaller) LGT TMIC in the new WRX. I don't have any mod work done so i don't know what the sound differences are like, the turbo is a natural sound dampener though - i don't know how big a difference it makes.

Subaru's are quite reliable, i've have read the motor trend article in question and disagree with it, i think they just got unlucky or something wrong; who knows.

I'd say the legacy would be a pretty unforgiving car to try and learn manual on, the clutch is kind of a sensitive soul. It would be possible to learn, maybe just a little harder.

Best of luck with your choice and test drives and everything, pick the one you like best [that means the legacy ;)]. Finally, paragraphs please!

Why no T56 GTO?

I looked at both cars when I was shopping and I ended up with a LGT (obviously). The main reason was the LGT is fun, but can also be practical all year round. If I lived further south I would be on a GTO forum right now.

The GTO was a great bang for the buck car when they first came out, but now that they are rotting away on dealer lots I think they are an even better deal. The LS-2 is a nice motor stock and it will also give great results from moding. If you want crazy power go with a maggie or if you want something a little less over the top you can just go bolt ons.

In the end you pretty much need to test drive both and figure out what works best for you.

I'll tell you what, the GTO is a dying breed. I just bought a 2007 Impala SS and with about $1000 in mods I can run mid 13 quarters.

On the flipside we are buying the wife an 08 Legacy because of the comfort factor.

It will be tough. A few things to consider though, they both take premium; they both have mod potential, but the Subie will get better mileage after you mod it.

^^ Impala SS, WWD.

The GTO is a whole different kind of animal. The interior looks nice, but I've heard it's too plasticky. It's more of a straight-line car though. I could not have seen myself in one because it seems like too much of a brute, whereas the Legacy seems a little bit more sedate.

The Legacy is an awesome car when you compare it to the GTO. A few thousand in mods and you'll have a car that can drag with the best of them and also put up a fight in the turns. It's also really comfortable, and pretty damn nice inside. The build quality is nothing like a Lexus, but it's decent (all the more so if you're comparing to a Pontiac).

In the end, you have to drive it and see. They're different cars for different people, and you can't make the wrong decision if its the car you wanted.

^^ Impala SS, WWD.

WWD????

You are right they are totally different monsters. The GTO is a torquey monster. . . i love that feeling, but if you want to go fast in any weather perhaps the Legacy is a better choice. I think jay hit it right on .. .test drive them both see what you think. . . I have a Subaru/Porsche Dealer here, they have a pontiac dealer right next door. . .can't much beat a set up like that. Last time I checked they had quite a few GTOs on the lot, and that would be the tough car to find.

I had considered a GTO myself (can't beat the power for the price!). However, the interior sucked compared to the LGT (nice seats though), but for me (and it may seem lame), the incredibly small trunk turned me away.

eddie....How is that tq steer in your Impala??

Drove a 07 Pontiac Grand prix GXP & it was pretty bad.....

As far as the GTO/LGT

Drive them both.....why no MT in the GTO??

It's actually a very nice MT alot better than the LGT....:hide:

If it were me & I had no kids I'd be driving a 06 GTO right now. I happen to think the interior is very nice & the seats are close to perfect.

You can still get leftover 06 GTO's for about the same price as a 07 LGT limited.

For a family vehicle though the GTO just cannot work for me right now:(:(

Go give them both a drive & do not rule out the GTO 6MT;)

Not trying to push you away from the LGT, it's a great car & I really like mine.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Gunslash;

I was in the same boat as you last July. I was going to buy a legacy gt (5eat) or gto (4eat). I test drove the cars and eventually got the lgt. Here are my opinions;

I didn't buy the gto because of :joke of a trunk, lack of features that a $30k car should have (heated seats, auto climate control), v-8 fuel economy, 4spd auto is a big step down from the 6spd tremec, brakes do not impress, too heavy (you will feel it when you drive the car), lack of all weather ability, short warranty, higher insurance.

I bought the lgt because it is more practical, more reliable, did not have the gto's downfalls and is a true sleeper.

Honestly, it is hard to compare a full size rwd v8 coupe with a midsize awd turbo sedan. Both of these cars aim for different people. Just buy the car that you enjoy to drive the most and don't look back.

eddie....How is that tq steer in your Impala??

Drove a 07 Pontiac Grand prix GXP & it was pretty bad.....

I have almost no torque steer. The GXPs are crap; they have ugly interiors and the tap shifiting just increases pressure in the trans lines, and booooom goes the trans. They also use super soft brakes which go out after about 20K.

Really though, only time it has torque steer is when it is wet outside. You can't just mash and go with it, you won't go anywhere, playing with the throttle nicely I can run about a 14.8 quarter mile, at over 100mph and I only have a catback exhaust. There are a few guys with catback, intake, tune, and 1.8 rockers and pushrods that are running mid 13s; not bad for $1000.

Not here to bash, but the Legacy interior puts the GTO interior to shame. Of course, my opinion after sitting in both.

How do you like to drive? Do you like the twisties or straight line speed? Do you want something a little more classy or is that even important to you? I can't say much about the GTO, I know it's fast and I agree, it is a sleeper just like the LGT.

As others have said, spend time at both dealerships and test drive both back-to-back. Make sure you do this the same day! Good luck and keep us posted with your decision.

I was not impressed when I drove the GTO at GM's test drive event. It was much slower than I expected (like the new vette). The interior wasn't nice (can't remember specifics, it was like 2 years ago). Nothing gave me a bigger grin than the first time I drove my WRX and the first time I drove a LGT. There's just something about having 4 doors and boost up the wazzu. Also, mod potential is huuuuge for the LGT.

Maybe I'm biased though, I find it hard to like american muscle in general.

I was not impressed when I drove the GTO at GM's test drive event. It was much slower than I expected (like the new vette). The interior wasn't nice (can't remember specifics, it was like 2 years ago). Nothing gave me a bigger grin than the first time I drove my WRX and the first time I drove a LGT. There's just something about having 4 doors and boost up the wazzu. Also, mod potential is huuuuge for the LGT.

yours is a very biased opinion indeed.

1. LGT interior not really that much more luxurious/opulent than the GTO interior, ive sat in both, they're different but one isnt clearly better than the other.

2. mod potential is huge of the LGT, but how small an aftermarket do you think there is for the LS2 engine or C5 Corvette platform?

and as far as sleeper quality goes, the GTO is a very classy sleeper as far as american muscle cars goes, it really falls under the radar until you hear it.

I'll agree with the sleeper part. The GTO doesn't look very flashy at all. Perhaps I was blinded by the "quality" of the LGT interior because I drove a STi not minutes before.

I guess it's just not my cup of tea. I need to have 4 doors if it's my only car.

I was not impressed when I drove the GTO at GM's test drive event. It was much slower than I expected (like the new vette).

Are you insane????? I can't remember the last time I considered an 11 second quarter mile car slow. . . . .

Is it hard to like:

http://www.motortrend.com/av/112_0606_sf_2006_chevrolet_corvette_z06_video

Eddiemoney: WWD -- Wrong Wheel Drive. lol. FWD cars with a V8 just aren't for me I guess. But they would beat me at the strip.

The GTO does have it's strong points. It is pretty mod-friendly and I happen to love the sound of a V8. I like the styling (it's generic, but that's odd now-a-days), the power, and even the exclusivity. I don't see too many driving around here. You may have to be careful in the wet, but no RWD car is fun in the rain. Unless you know how to drift :rolleyes:

True but spend that 1k on the GTO

The LS series responds very well to mods for a very small amount of money;)

Diablosport EM......350.00

Catback.................650.00

385-390whp/405-410ftlb

As many of you guys have mentioned the GTO is nose heavy but can be made into a pretty good handling car.

So which way are you leaning........GTO or LGT??

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Archived