LegacyGT.com

What do you guys think of these wheels?

Driver72

They are 18 x 7.5 with a 50mm offset. Weight is 19 pounds. [url]http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/findWheelDetail.do?rc=CSCINT&yr=2004&wd=18&c=1&pc=60605&rw=&bp=&vid=008269[/url] I'm thinking of these with the lightweight (20 pounds each) yet high rated Falken Ziex Ze-512 all season Ultra High Performance tires. Oh, and since I'm not very good at computer work, nor do I have photoshop, is it easy for anybody to photoshop these wheels onto the Silver LGT sedan? Thanks.

Guest *Jedimaster*
No, I wasn't asking for $- I just think the way to ask is to do the GIS and then ask. I'm not about to photochop something for someone if I even have to go searching for the pictures :p

It's a very nice rim.. not as lightweight as I hoped for when I was looking for specs about 2 years ago on these rims. They have come down in price. Have you thought about Toyo Proxes4? That's another good tire to go with.. I happend to like them because of the durability of them (the compound is spectactular! they just last, including hard spirited driving). Keefe
Keefe

Keefe, A friend recommended these rims, and I do like the look of them. Though the MSRP at Discount is $238 each, I can get them (mounted and balanced too) for $199 each. 19 pounds for a 18 x 7.5 wheel is not that bad. That's what the stock 17 x 7 wheel approximately weighs. Stock tire is 23 pounds according to Bridgestone. If you can recommend another good looking wheel that's under 19 pounds in the 18 x 7.5 size for around $200 each, I'd be interested in taking a look. As for the Tires. The Falkens are rated really high in many areas, and the double edge sword is that they weigh only 20 pounds each. That's 3 pounds less than stock and since it's on the OUTSIDE of the wheel/tire diameter, that's reducing rotational mass by a significant amount...which of course increases HP/TQ to the ground. And they are pretty cheap...$105 each mounted. The Toyo Proxes4 are also rated high in most areas, but they are more expensive and weigh (I know it's minor) 1 pound more each. The Toyo's also cost more too. So given that they are both rated high in all areas, what swayed me to the Falken's were the lighter weight (hence more power to the ground) and the lower price. Out of curiousity, anybody know where the Falken and Toyo tires are made?

[quote name='Driver72']Keefe, A friend recommended these rims, and I do like the look of them. Though the MSRP at Discount is $238 each, I can get them (mounted and balanced too) for $199 each. 19 pounds for a 18 x 7.5 wheel is not that bad. That's what the stock 17 x 7 wheel approximately weighs. Stock tire is 23 pounds according to Bridgestone. If you can recommend another good looking wheel that's under 19 pounds in the 18 x 7.5 size for around $200 each, I'd be interested in taking a look. As for the Tires. The Falkens are rated really high in many areas, and the double edge sword is that they weigh only 20 pounds each. That's 3 pounds less than stock and since it's on the OUTSIDE of the wheel/tire diameter, that's reducing rotational mass by a significant amount...which of course increases HP/TQ to the ground. And they are pretty cheap...$105 each mounted. The Toyo Proxes4 are also rated high in most areas, but they are more expensive and weigh (I know it's minor) 1 pound more each. The Toyo's also cost more too. So given that they are both rated high in all areas, what swayed me to the Falken's were the lighter weight (hence more power to the ground) and the lower price. Out of curiousity, anybody know where the Falken and Toyo tires are made?[/QUOTE] There's quite a bit out there that are around that price, but in terms of weight, you're right, it's not that close to come by.. my R1-Racing GTR-9s (also $200/rim) are just 1 lb heavier than the Enkei you are looking at. I bought these cuz of the polished lip while the Enkei didnt. I also opted for the GTR-9 because of the dual-drilled bolt pattern, it's easier to sell these wheels to a Honda or Toyota owner. You'll be suprised of some of the knock-offs wheels are catching up in terms of quality and strength, not to mention the weight. The mesh design is by far the strongest design for a rim (since it disperses the force to many spokes while in rotation). I have heard many of my very-often-spirited-driver friends that they like the Toyos over the Falkens. My guess is the compound difference. As for the weight and torque issue, you'll get more torque by going with a shorter tire than trying to save weight off the tire. It's unfortunate that Subaru designed this car with a 215/45/17 as their base tire and wheel, otherwise I would have used a 16" rim with a 205/40/16 for autocrossing use just to put down the torque.. but the gearing in the tranny doesnt like to reach 60 mph on 2nd gear, so I opted to change my driving style and went with a taller tire to make sure that 2nd gear hit pass 60mph. The lighter rim will help, but it's really about moment calculations (as explained on other threads in this forum). Keefe
Keefe

[url]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545342[/url] [url]http://www.ninosautoaccessories.com/[/url] and a direct link to the rims: [url]http://www.ninosautoaccessories.com/product_info.php?products_id=124[/url] [img]http://www.ninosautoaccessories.com/images/rpm2.jpg[/img] I am sure if you talk to them they can swing $200/rim. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Those are one of my favorite wheels.. I have been considering a set for a while now. Can you divuldge where you can get them for $200 apiece?[/QUOTE] Sure, my buddy here in my area works for Discount Tire. He also owns a 05 LGT. So he was able to knock a bit off the price for me. That $199 price included mounting/balancing as well, again 18 x 7.5 inch size. Total price with them and the Falkens with the tire warranty and tax came to about $1450....not too shabby I'm thinking. Just go into your local Discount Tire company and tell the manager you had a friend that got this price at another store in another state and ask him if he'll match it. I'm sure he will. Keefe your link reminded me of another question.... Silver or Hyper Black for a Silver LGT? What do you guys think?

[quote name='gtguy']Nice-looking wheels, but good luck cleaning them! :lol: Kevin[/QUOTE] Exactly. You know, one great thing about the GT Stock wheel is they are the easiest wheel to clean (next to the wheels on my 1999 SAAB Viggen). I like a wheel that (at least on the rear) I can get my hand back into the inside to clean it out good. Rob

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Driver72']Ahh, what's an extra minute or so cleaning each wheel?[/QUOTE] It's 4 minutes you never get back.

Lazy bums :p And here I am swapping rims all the time.. I clean my wheels off the car, and store them clean, and I roll out the other set and mount my other clean wheels.. I always have a rotating stock of clean rims. I do this because it gives me a chance to check over the treadwear, look for nails and all that sort of stuff. Nevertheless, I still spend some time cleaning my rims. It's no different than cleaning the door jambs and the engine bay. If cleaning was such a problem, get a smaller car, so you can cut down on the washing, cleaning, vaccumming, and waxing/polishing time. :lol: Keefe
Keefe

it's your typical cast, it's not the MAT system rolling extruding cast that their racing rims offer. Click on "MAT Technology" for info on that.. if the rim doesnt say "MAT" for it, then it's just your typical pressure cast. Keefe
Keefe

Archived