LegacyGT.com

Which Powered Sub?

ExRex

I decided not to get the factory sub, but I miss my bass and want to do the install myself. I don't have any experience with car audio installs, so I am trying to keep this simple. I've narrowed it down to the Infinity BassLink and the Kenwood "WooX." It seems like the BassLink is better regarded, but I'm really interested in putting a sub under the passenger seat (a la WRX) and I don't think the BassLink would come close to fitting. What do you guys think? I'm a little lost here...

I've been following the "rear deck sub" discussion, and from what I can gather, I would have to use either a free air sub or custom design a seal box to mount under the deck. Is this right? Nobody seems to have a lot of faith that a free air sub would sound that great in the Legacy's trunk, and a custom box sounds like biting off more than I can chew... If I'm worng and it is a lot easier than that, I would be interested in that idea.

[quote name='rao']The Basslink will not fit under the passenger's seat. I have one in my car and I like it a lot.[/QUOTE] So I am assuming you've got it in the trunk (rather than in a rear passenger footwell). How much space does it take up, and did you do the install yourself? Some of the reviews I've read of the BassLink suggested that it wouldn't do too well in the trunk and might sound too muffled if not in the passenger compartment. Is that a problem in the Legacy?

It is in the trunk. I installed myself (is there any other way :) ) I have used the a Basslink in a few cars and have always been happy with them. I have also used sub boxes and amps and have been happy with those as welll. I have also never had a problem with a sub in the trunk of a sedan sounding bad. I thought about using the stock mounting location in the rear deck, but getting a free air sub to sound as good as even the most mediocre sub box would be a pain and I didn't want to cut up the rear deck (or any other part of the car).

[quote name='ExRex']Thanks Rao, you've sold me on the BassLink! Now to decide between the Infinity 6002si two ways or the Infinity 6000cs components...[/QUOTE] I hope I get my cut from Infinity :) Make sure you install the remote gain control, it is an excellent feature. Also, I would hold off on the speakers, you may find that you do not need them.

Yeah I have heard the BassLink and it's pretty good for those who want a little more thump and not the extra weight. The Legacys trunk looks like it might make a good "enclosure" in itself for a small sub to be mounted in that rear deck. Also, it might behave more like an infinite baffle setup with the rear deck than free air. A friend of mine has an 8" sub that he might not be using, so if I get the chance in a couple months, maybe I'll see how it sounds. You still might want to add better component speakers along with the BassLink. Might as well improve the mids and highs, and also sound deaden the door panels, since I personally have noticed a little bit of rattle and better speakers might cause more rattle.

Alright, now I'm confused... Went to Circuit City after work to check out the BassLink. Started talking to the "Audio Guy." He's telling me the BassLink only works with RCA inputs and that I have to install a LOC at the headunit, then run the RCAs to the trunk for the BassLink. I'd also need to run a power line to the battery (ok) and another line to the ignition (?). Is this the way to do this or is this guy making things more complicated than they need to be? BTW, that sucks that the WooX doesn't fit under the powered seats. [sigh] maybe the factory subwoofer is the way to go...

I have the OEM subwoofer under the drivers seat and a Basslink in the trunk. I purchased the basslink because I wanted a bit more bass, but wanted to have a nice "stock" sounding stereo. With the Basslink you get some excellent bass, however it is not too boomy, you barely feel it unless you want to. I recommend it highly.

Is there anyone here with a Wagon that's put a sub in it? I would like to add a little bass to my music, but I don't want a sub box bouncing around in the back of my car. What are some options, other than the OEM Sub? Will the BaseLink fit under the seat?

the Basslink will not fit under the seat, but i had one in my WRX, and although it's not the kind of bass 2 12's will give you, it's a very clean sounding bass that really adds to the existing stereo. i highly recommend the Basslink, and in fact, i have one to sell with all the mounting feet and wiring. anyone interested?

There are two basslinks. The newer Basslink T is shallower than the original basslink but much wider. Also more powerful. I'm thinking of some kind of quick-release mounting for my wagon attached to the back of the rear seat. http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='BASSLINK+T'&Ser=BSL&Cat=PSU

I would try to see if they can do the instal at the dealership as not to void the warnty. i want subs and i am thinking of having a pair of 8' mounted under the front seats, they may not make too much boom but mounted under the seats would compensate for that. plus if you put on som techno death metal or rap your seat becomes a heated message chair great for road trips. :D

Archived