LegacyGT.com

SS 5MT Turbo trans vs. regular 5MT

I found a good SS 5MT w/matching 3.9 LSD rear diff. I'm probably going to purchase it. The reason is I have a 22T longblock that I would like to rebuild and swap it to my second gen w/EJ22E. My second gen currently has a 5MT but I want to swap in the SS 5MT when I do the engine swap because I know that my stock trans might not last too long with the increased HP.

Anyway, I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. I am wondering how the SS 5MT compares to my second gen stock leggy 5MT. Is the SS 5MT significantly stronger? If so why?

BTW, my 22T rebuild isn't going to be super crazy. I plan on keeping all the stock internals. installing an 06-07 tmic and TD04 and using either a 22T or 20G ecu (hopefully robtuned). I also plan on keeping the stock heads unless I come across some good 20G heads. It will be close to what sqc151 has going on with his SS.

Also, can I use my existing pedal assembly or should I pick up an SS pedal assembly? What other trans related parts would I need? SS clutch slave cylinder?

I have often wondered this myself, if there's anything special with a turbo 5 spd? They certainly charge more for it. I've bought a used ss 5 spd for 1000$ shipped, cuz my 2nd gear synchros were going. When it came I swapped it out ad it was worse than mine, had to figbt to get my money back. I ended up using scotty tranny cocktail and it felt like new. Anyways I did a lot of research and most answers poi.ted towards no its nothing special, but they weren't definative. then I came across one site I forgot where, but it said the turbo 5speed gearset was shotpeened to a harder spec. I couldn't confirm it anywhere else so I don't know for a fact. Hope someone else can chime in on this one.

Hmm, this makes me wonder if I should even bother putting in the turbo 5spd. My stock leggy trans is working just fine. Maybe it would last quite a while. I don't think I would be going too crazy launching it. My swap won't be happening anytime soon, but I am trying to slowly gather all the parts I will need for it to happen.

usliberty, please dont ever buy an ss trans for a 1000 bucks unless its a steal with ppg gears. ss trans in working order run about 300 bucks.

monkey, ive launched my friends 93 n/a 9 times in a row at the track and the clutch didnt even flinch. use it till it explodes then upgrade to something better... (like a 6sp)

Yeah, it was about 6 years ago. Where have you found a 5 spd tranny for 300$? A 5spd turbo legacy is pretty damn rare in these parts. I have automatic notifications setup from all the local junkyards nearby that tell me whenever they get a first gen leggy in. Eitherway I wouldn't waste my money on a 5 spd knowing what I know now and with prices of 6 spds constantly dropping.

Yeah I had no idea the price has come down that much, for that price I may consider taking my car to a track and thrashing it, and keeping a spare 5 spd at home. If I had a spare tranny ready to go in I'm pretty sure murphys law wont let mine break. How about getting the synchros replaced in a 5 spd? Is this something a normal trans shop could do? Ever had it done? how much did they charge? That's all that's wrong with mine, 140,000 miles on it and 2nd gear synchros are shot. If it weren't for scottys cocktail, I would have issues quick shifting.

think the cost of replacing synchos would exceed just getting a different,

a little perspective on trans prices when shopping around, i picked up a 04 forester XT 4.44 trans, differential, 4 cv axles, center drive and trans mounts for $900

Well, not buying the SS trans will save me $400. One reason I wanted it was for the LSD rear diff, but I can probably live without it, lol. From a few threads I read, the stock trans holds for a while with 300 hp+ builds. And the SS trans does fine up to 260 or so for some guys on bbs. A Sti 6MT from ebay is about $2300 or more last time I looked.

Usliberty, what is Scotty's tranny cocktail? And I might need your stock 22T ecu if you still have it to tide me over until I get a robtuned 20G ecu. I will probably start the swap in the spring since I don't have a garage and I am still gathering parts and figuring out how do to it.

I have a friend down the street who put the lgt 5spd4:11 tranny in his SS, he got the parts from a Junkyard, I did not like the shorter gears. Maybe it was his wheel size but it seemed like he was shifting before i was. A 3rd gen lgt is much heavier and would need lower gears to keep the trans from breaking up under launches. Ie: More leverage against the road. Any used tranny you buy is gonna have synchro wear, some more than others. I've bought 2 and both were worse off than mine so I'm not too stoked on a used trans. yeah they may guarantee its low mileage but its your time installing it and having to do it twice is a huge waste of time. Ill just save up for a 6 spd. I just bought a new glock 21c .45acp so transmission is on hold a bit longer.

Yeah I hav the ecu available still. Uncle Scottys subaru tranny cocktail is a mixture of castol hypo c, redline heavyweight shockproof, and penzoil synchromesh. I believe that's it, but just google, BBS.legacycentral or nasioc search it. There's a lot of naysayers about it but mostly its a guy tht rebuilds subaru transmissions for a living. Proof is in the pudding for me. The cocktail only last only about 10000 miles but if your synchros are going this will help shifting. It made mine feel like new, this

may be a bandaid but I'm on my 2nd oil change with it and it still works great. I can quickshift better than when I bought the car.

Yeah my synchros are worn beyond factory tolerances extra s doesn't make it shift any better when its that far gone. This is a bandaid and like someone said its not worth rebuilding synchros. This last ditch effort has kept my car drivable for 20,000 more miles. Everyone has their opinion on it, you couldn't say all those exploding transmissions were because of the cocktail, user error and abuse probably account for more failure than you lead on. I've seen sti gearboxes blow with extra s in them, can't say it was the gear oil. My transmission was prematurely worn out by the previous owner at 100000 miles when I got it. He was a subaru service manager with all records since he ordered his SS. and apparently didn't know how to rev match downshifts. Again, I use the cocktail as a last ditch effort to drive the miles out of my worn out 5 spd. Wish I didnt have to.

im not gonna get into a pissing match about the cocktail causing the issues. but when a trans is fine, then after using the cocktail, all of a sudden theres trans problems. so yes, to me... the cocktail was the cause of it... simple as that.

im not gonna get into a pissing match about the cocktail causing the issues. but when a trans is fine, then after using the cocktail, all of a sudden theres trans problems. so yes, to me... the cocktail was the cause of it... simple as that.

This.

Scotty's Cocktail is rubbish. Snychromesh is a fluid primarily suggested for use in cars requiring a GL-4. The only thing saving your trans from chewing up the front diff, is the Shockproof.

People can disagree with this, if they want, but it's simple science. I've found that most people who suggest Scotty's, don't actually know anything about how transmissions work.

If you've got a grind, run straight shockproof. Problem solved.

The SS trans IS different from the standard Legacy trans, but not enough to justify a substantially higher price. The case and everything are all the same, but the gearset is slightly different (the SS has an anti-lash spur on the front of first gear, and some other small changes). Mine blew up pulling into a parking lot at 10mph. I was only making ~230whp at the time, but I drove that thing like I stole it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ill let you guys know first, when it grenades on me, I just was unable to drive it without the cocktail. I was gonna trash my 5 spd 4 years ago and now its still shifting fine. I am willing to try anything that will help and you say running straight shockproof should have the same effect? I don't know jack about transmissions, and never claimed to. Just simply stating my results. When it grenades I'll be happy, POS 5 speeds have always been a weak link. I can't wait to swap it with 6 spd. I had problems at 100,000 miles when I got it.

Drove to vegas for the holiday weekend, unfortunately a coilpack decided to take a dump on me while I was there. I had spare plugs so I swapped one in, no go. Good luck finding an ej20g coilpack somewhere, so I unplugged the injector for that cylinder and drove it the 3hundred and something miles home on 3 cylinders. I was suprised it ran decent, besides at idle with the AC on it would try and stall. Ordererd 2 used coilpacks for 50/ea from outfrontmotorsports, they always have the hard to find parts for the ej20 motors.

The SS trans IS different from the standard Legacy trans, but not enough to justify a substantially higher price. The case and everything are all the same, but the gearset is slightly different (the SS has an anti-lash spur on the front of first gear, and some other small changes). Mine blew up pulling into a parking lot at 10mph. I was only making ~230whp at the time, but I drove that thing like I stole it.

Thanks BAC. What are your opinions on the 3.90 LSD rear diff? I can get an SS 5MT w/3.90 LSD diff for $400. I have only the most basic understanding of how a trans and diff function thanks to youtube animations. I'll have to research what an anti-lash spur is. What are the other small changes?

Glad you made it home US! :)

i sell them for 300. bbc has them also in the 300 range.

mind you this is just a trans... full swap will run in the 5-600 range depending on clutch.

You have an ss transmission available? It needs to be hydraulic pull type so I can use my clutch and flywheel. If so I'm interested in bying one before I have problems. If so, How many miles on it? Is it in good conditi. Id need it shipped to 86301

• 4 weeks later...
any body ever try and replace the scynros for 2nd gear them selfs??? I have never had a manual gear box apart. autos yes. mine is grinding almost everytime i shift. the local trans shop quoted me 1200. yeah thats too much for me(more than what the car is worth) I'm running 3quarts of 80w90 right now with one quart of lucus.

Archived