LegacyGT.com

My Review-2007 Legacy GT

2007 Legacy 2.5 GT Review:

After test driving a variety of cars, including the Subaru WRX, Mazdaspeed6, BMW 328XI & 330XI and the Audi A6, I found myself close to buying the Mazda. Sadly, the less expensive Mazda also has some issues with turbo failures and the car is just not all that solid.

Enter the Subaru Legacy GT Limited Sedan. This review is for the Turbo, but NOT the Spec B which I also drove and passed on. More about that later.

The Legacy GT is a sophisticated and refined sports sedan challenging some of the more expensive European builders. At the outset the Legacy Turbo brings it's most potent quality to the table in it's AWD system that is second to none in the market. This is what Subaru does and they've got it down regardless of price point.

Appearance:

The Legacy GT is a car that looks much better in person than in photos. Still, she's no boy wonder rocket ship. She's very smooth and understated. Only her spoiler and air scoop on the hood hint at what's below. With so many fake scoops around, the GT could be mistaken for an ordinary car. For mature enthusiasts this is a car that is pleasing to look at, but it won't draw tickets as easily as an STI with a big wing on the back.

Interior:

This is an excellent interior, especially once you've spent time in it. Once again Subaru went at the design from a function following form approach. The driving position is excellent as are the leather seats. With the seat all the way back, the gear shift could be an inch closer, but that's a nitpick and I'm 6'3. Legroom is very good. The interior feels classy, upscale and also performance oriented.

Handling:

Do some searched online and you'll see a wide range of impressions from drivers. In stock form the Legacy has tenacious road holding ability, but there is also body roll. The entire experience is generally excellent, but at the limits some drivers might consider changing the suspension. But we're talking about some pretty heavy limits here and the Legacy does quite well against the Mazdaspeed6 for example, though the Mazda communicates to the driver a bit better. At higher speeds, from 80-120 MPH the Legacy feels secure and steady. A recent high speed run in a BMW 330 produced more wind noise and a slightly more nervous ride than the Legacy. For most drivers the stock Legacy will provide a lot of fun. If you get bored try some higher end struts and springs.

Keep in mind that a LOT of people are just thrilled with the Legacy GT's handling in stock form. You may be as well.

Transmission:

The 5 speed tranny is a tad notchy, but generally pleasing to use. Thus far I have no issues with it.

Engine/Power

WHOMP! The Legacy has some serious torque going on here and some tests show her doing 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and grabbing a 1/4 mile in 14 seconds or less. That's some pretty fast company, folks. Power is available down low and a single shift from first to second will take you to 60 MPH in a blistering fashion. The engine has plenty of wind and pulls strongly well into the triple digits. Facing off against a 2006 WRX 2.5, the Legacy was faster off the line and pulled away slowly in 4th above 70 MPH. Against an STI the Legacy was certainly slower, but at highway speeds it's not like the STI is faster by leaps and bounds. You need a new Vette (3.5 seconds to 60!) for that kind of crazy speed. Win or lose, the Legacy GT has serious power and it manages to reward the driver with a much quieter and less busy run than any of the econo-rockets. I believe this to be the most fun you can have anywhere near 30K in a sedan of this type.

Cool!

The GT also features a SI system that lets you pick how you want to drive, Choose Intelligent mode for best economy. Or switch over to Sport or Sport Sharp for instant and aggressive power. It may sound like a gimick, but it really works. My wife tends to use the economy mode and I'm almost always in Sport Sharp!

AWD System

Recent shootouts and tests might put the Legacy behind some other sports sedans, but remember what she can do. This is an AWD car. If you live in a place where rain and snow can be a problem this car will provide fun all year. FWD and RWD cars will not do as well and that's a fact. Add to that that Subaru has the best AWD system and the Legacy is even more of a standout. Now, if you DON'T require AWD there are plenty of fast and fun FWD and RWD cars to buy. This IS a sports sedan with seductive power. Mount some snow tires on her and she's ready to be your all-weather car as well.

What about the B Spec?

The B Spec is Subaru's sport tuned version of the Legacy GT. It features seats that I like far less, a 6 speed manual transmission from the STI and a tighter suspension that's still not tight enough for the extra money spent. The simple problem is that the cost of the car is too high. For less money you can make a standard handle even better than the B Spec and make other tweaks. So unless you have to have the 6 Speed, I feel the Legacy GT Limited is the turbo of choice. As Motortrend pointed out, even the B Spec is a bit soft for all of the potential offered by the GT. So if you're into a few mods for your cars, I think the B Spec isn't a great value.

Compared to:

WRX is also a great car, but it's spartan and stiff around town. It's great for shorter drives, but noise and bumps make it a less than ideal touring car. With the new 2.5 in the WRX, torque is vastly improved. It's a far better car than 2002-2005 models, but it's still waiting to grow up in some respects.

Perhaps the closest competition would be the Mazdaspeed6, which I also reviewed. I love the car and it's stock handling is slightly better than the Legacy GT. Slightly is a word that a lot of folks will argue over since any small suspension mod on either car can make a world of difference. But in STOCK trim, the Legacy is trying to blend more ride comfort into the mix than the Speed6 and you can feel it. From behind the wheel the Speed6 sits above the WRX in comfort and feels more substantial, but it's still not in the league of the Legacy which offers more comfort and a superior AWD system. I STILL might have bought a Speed6 if not for a "lightly built" feeling about the car and a SERIOUS turbo seal failure issue noted in my review of that car. The Speed6 has some more growing up to do, while the Legacy is all grown up.

I've driven several BMW's including the 330 and 328 XI versions. These are great cars, perhaps more grown up than the Subaru Legacy GT. But in their AWD trim they are also quite a bit slower and less engaging to drive. Still, a 330XI felt VERY precise flying down our twisty roads much of the time. I didn't care for it above 110 MPH, but it could have been the tires.

Summary:

Is this the best AWD Sports Sedan around? Nah. Several others (without AWD) are as good in some respects and better/worse in others. The bottom line is that the Legacy GT is right up there. And if you live in an area with fun twisty roads that get snow several months out of the year it may very well be the best pick. If you've wanted a STI or an EVO, won't have anything less than AWD, but also want an adult car that will look at home for a night on the town, the Legacy GT Turbo may just be your girl. :cool:

Our Car

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/Bobsprit/RobsGT.jpg

Capt RB

nice write-up, tim mahoney! ;)

btw, where is the link to this review?

Perhaps the closest competition would be the Mazdaspeed6, which I also reviewed. ....I STILL might have bought a Speed6 if not for a "lightly built" feeling about the car and a SERIOUS turbo seal failure issue noted in my review of that car.

Archived