LegacyGT.com

Looks like Tribeca is done.

hmmrdwn

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's sad. Hopefully they'll replace it with a bigger, more capable vehicle, and the Tribeca spirit will live on in some new form. I've really liked mine. I bought it with just over 20,000 miles, and it now has 142,000 miles. It still drives like new (well, almost).

It's sad. Hopefully they'll replace it with a bigger, more capable vehicle, and the Tribeca spirit will live on in some new form. I've really liked mine. I bought it with just over 20,000 miles, and it now has 142,000 miles. It still drives like new (well, almost).

...ditto, we've only had ours for about 2-months and it's a surprisingly nice drive. It handles decently for a crossover and is generally able to get out of its way.

My local Suby dealership told me that they were told by Subaru to expect a 3 row CUV next year as a 2015 model.

What that means exactly IDK, will it be an extended Forester, or are they planning on a new larger 3 row CUV. I have heard that they may be developing one that may share the platform with the Toyota Highlander, but who knows. I guess well may find out sometime next year.

Maybe the problem with the Tribeca is that it was too good-looking. Subaru has a history of creating not-so-good-looking vehicles that have lots of character (she's homely, but she has a nice personality), so Subaru buyers don't expect good looks.

The '05-'09 Legacy suffered the same way - it looked attractive, but just didn't sell well.

Maybe those of us that like attractive vehicles have bought into the wrong brand...

I just hope it's not an Outback clone - that thing's rather unattractive. The Forester looks pretty good. Make it a grown-up Forester and big enough for 7 adults (maybe 8), and it will sell well.

Highlander, Pathfinder, Pilot, and Acadia disagree. Just being "grown-up" isn't enough for mommy and daddy to spend an easy ~$40k on a base model.

They need to give the Tribeca a personality of it's own. More power and better MPG.

Highlander, Pathfinder, Pilot, and Acadia disagree. Just being "grown-up" isn't enough for mommy and daddy to spend an easy ~$40k on a base model.

What they need is rather a vehicle with its own cult status level - like the original VW bus. Of course - you can't just copy that one due to crash safety reasons. Unfortunately the Tribeca has suffered from being ugly and thirsty in its first incarnation and that probably made it worse for the later models.

As it has been - the Tribeca was not quite a family bus and not quite a wagon. It has always been something in between. If they are going to get into that market they need to look at the VW bus and Ford Transit and build something that can be varied a lot depending on the need of the user.

320px-2006-2011_Ford_Transit_%28VM%29_140_T330_van_%282011-11-18%29_02.jpg316px-Ford_Transit_Sport.JPG320px-VW_T5_PanAmericana_Facelift.JPG320px-Samba%281%29.jpg

453747.png

• Mega Users
Maybe the problem with the Tribeca is that it was too good-looking. Subaru has a history of creating not-so-good-looking vehicles that have lots of character (she's homely, but she has a nice personality), so Subaru buyers don't expect good looks.

The '05-'09 Legacy suffered the same way - it looked attractive, but just didn't sell well.

Maybe those of us that like attractive vehicles have bought into the wrong brand...

Please tell me you're joking. The tribeca is by far the most horrific looking vehicle that subaru's put out in the last decade.

Did u say decade because of the 2003 baja? lol

I think Tribeca didnt sell because people shopping looked at it and it never won them over. It didnt have best in class anything.

Mpg, interior looks, exterior looks, amenities, power, bargain pricing, etc

The only thing it had going was the subaru logo and the symmetrical AWD which is probably why the ones that DID buy it, bought it. Because of its off road capability, subaru reliability and branding. prvious subaru owners probably moved up but most will be happy with an outback or forester.

The market for mid-sized suvs is just too competitive. Make it cheaper, best in class mpg or something, better looking interior and then maybe there wouldve been a chance. just my opinion

Please tell me you're joking. The tribeca is by far the most horrific looking vehicle that subaru's put out in the last decade.

If you're referring to the B9, I wouldn't say horrific, I'd say quirky.

For the '08+, it's bland but attractive. Same as the '05-'09 Legacy - maybe a little less bland, but still attractive.

Did u say decade because of the 2003 baja? lol

I think Tribeca didnt sell because people shopping looked at it and it never won them over. It didnt have best in class anything.

Mpg, interior looks, exterior looks, amenities, power, bargain pricing, etc

The only thing it had going was the subaru logo and the symmetrical AWD which is probably why the ones that DID buy it, bought it. Because of its off road capability, subaru reliability and branding. prvious subaru owners probably moved up but most will be happy with an outback or forester.

The market for mid-sized suvs is just too competitive. Make it cheaper, best in class mpg or something, better looking interior and then maybe there wouldve been a chance. just my opinion

If my local Subie dealer is anything to go by, they said that sales were on a strong upswing when the '08 was released, but gas prices shot up to $4.00/gallon, and that killed sales. It never recovered.

It seems the MPG rating was a large factor in its lack of success. The small-ish size didn't help matters. Everything else was fine - it handled well, looked good, had a versatile interior, etc.

If my local Subie dealer is anything to go by, they said that sales were on a strong upswing when the '08 was released, but gas prices shot up to $4.00/gallon, and that killed sales. It never recovered.

It seems the MPG rating was a large factor in its lack of success. The small-ish size didn't help matters. Everything else was fine - it handled well, looked good, had a versatile interior, etc.

I think it has lowest in class mpg, outdated interior (like most subarus), small rear legroom and small third row seat.

It wasnt a bad car, just didnt outshine all the competition out there when people are car shopping and looking to spend $30k+ on an suv

soccer moms arent enthusiasts. They hear all their friends having hondas and toyotas and chevys and they copy

Subaru just can't compete in the full size SUV class with the flat six and inexpensive interiors. The most recent Tribeca liked like a slightly lifted Chrysler minivan.

But if I had to chose between the two I would take the Tribeca over a Chrysler any day. The Chrysler would age a lot faster feeling outdated in a year in addition to unknown quality issues.

Just because something looks new and fresh at the dealer doesn't mean that it stays that way for long.

453747.png

I agree here. My Tribeca has 142,000 miles on it, and the exterior still looks almost new, it drives almost like new. The interior, well, it has suffered a bit from all the lumber and playsets I've moved, but it still looks pretty good.

I once owned a Chrysler minivan (Plymouth Voyager), and it was dead before 142,000 miles, and that was even after an engine and transmission transplant. Tranny died at 65,000 miles. Engine had knocking issues before 50,000.

I'm pretty happy with Subaru longevity.

I agree here. My Tribeca has 142,000 miles on it, and the exterior still looks almost new, it drives almost like new. The interior, well, it has suffered a bit from all the lumber and playsets I've moved, but it still looks pretty good.

I once owned a Chrysler minivan (Plymouth Voyager), and it was dead before 142,000 miles, and that was even after an engine and transmission transplant. Tranny died at 65,000 miles. Engine had knocking issues before 50,000.

I'm pretty happy with Subaru longevity.

No doubt. We've owned two dodge minivans. They held up okay, but weren't that great. The Tribeca is boring looking though. The other large SUVs can be polarizing, though have market share.

• Mega Users
There's also no room for the tribeca with how the legacy/outback platform is evolving. It's just getting bigger and bigger. I imagine in the next couple of years, the outback will come with some foldaway 3rd row seating.

Archived