LegacyGT.com

A transmission issue with new wagon.

I've just bought myself a Legacy and decided I should join this community because I'm fairly ignorant and not exactly mecanically minded and felt I could get some help from some experts here.

I managed to get myself a 1998 2.0 Auto Legacy Wagon for pretty cheap and so far I'm absolutely loving it, simply a great car. I do have some issues with it though. I've noticed that when I'm doing around 80km/h + and I put my foot down, it just revs the crap out of it when trys to change down. I've checked the transmission fluid and that's all fine. I should mention that it does not happen all the time, about 30% of the time. Can this be fixed or will the transmission need to be replaced?

• I Donated

98 2.0L? Are you twin turbo....in New Zealand....

Sounds like you have the EJ20R engine. That is one hell of an engine.

Anyways, how many miles (or km in your case) are on the car? Subaru transmissions can start acting kind of weird if they have dirty fluid in them. You can try dropping the transmission pan, changing the filter, and putting new fluid in to see if that helps you out at all.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

There is no turbo in it and it's done 240,000k. I knew when I bought it that the k's were a little on the high side but It had a good maintenance record on it. I plan on looking after it well.

I'm glad to hear it's a good engine though! And I'll do a complete change of the fluid tomorrow to see if that helps.

• I Donated

You don't have the engine I was thinking of. Here in the US, none of the Legacys came with any kind of 2.0L. Most of the 2.0L Subaru engines are turbo as far as I know.

Either way, just about any Subaru EJ engine is pretty solid. I would not flush the transmission. This can be harmful on a high mileage / km transmission. Just do the filter / fluid thing I said above. Thats the safer option. Make sure you use good fluid too. I don't know what brands are available on your side of the world, so I can't really advise you of what fluid to use. I would visit a local Subaru dealer and just buy whatever they recommend

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived