LegacyGT.com

iPhone and iPod (5th gen) integration?

Madjik_Man

So I've had my 5th gen iPod for years now and just bought an iPhone 4.

Obviously the two of them use different connectors (the 3.5mm headphone jack withstanding).

As of now I'm running an FM modulator with the iPod cable. Again, obviously this does not work for my iPhone.

Does anyone have any cheap suggestions/alternatives to integrate both devices?

Thanks in advance

A Subaru OEM iPod adapter would work well for you if you've got the OEM headunit. I'm pulling mine out of my car to do my aftermarket headunit install. The only catch is it wont charge the newest iPhones or iPods, but it's a thought.

I'm not worried (as of now) so much about charging the iPhone, I just want it to play through the soundsystem/head unit.

How does the OEM iPod adapter connect to the OEM head unit? I'm in a 2.5i and do not have an AUX in.

Also, how does the iPod adapter work in the iPhone? For my FM modulator I have an iPod adapter cable and it is currently not working with my iPhone.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not worried (as of now) so much about charging the iPhone, I just want it to play through the soundsystem/head unit.

How does the OEM iPod adapter connect to the OEM head unit? I'm in a 2.5i and do not have an AUX in.

Also, how does the iPod adapter work in the iPhone? For my FM modulator I have an iPod adapter cable and it is currently not working with my iPhone.

Thanks in advance.

Is the 2006 headunit satellite ready (I think it may have been 2007+, but I can't remember), meaning do you have the "sat" button on the bottom of your mode selection dial?

Edit: I checked cars101.com, and it looks like the cars weren't wired for satellite until MY2007.

The OEM interface attaches to the back of the headunit where satellite radio would go. You switch to iPod mode by pressing the "sat" button. From there you can use steering wheel controls to skip/fast forward songs, and you use the radio preset buttons to select different things such as playlists, artists, songs, etc.

Looks like I'm SOL.

Will have to save up and wait for an aftermarket HU...

Thanks for your replies.

No problem, I was in the sane boat as well recently.

Another option is to look for someone selling a 2007+ headunit. Maybe you can find one at a good price.

Doing the JDM dash is also a great option. Having an aftermarket headunit really opens up the possibility for an audio system.

Archived