LegacyGT.com

OMG They Keep Getting Heavier! - LGT Model Year & Trim Differences

cyniclaus

OK, so lighter is not always better, but I am having a hard time seeing the value in the ballooning weight of the LGT (and most other modern cars for that matter). Is there something just so awesome in the newer cars that justifies the ever-increasing weight and would compell me to buy a 3530-lb '08 specB vs a 3300-lb '05 LGT? If there is, please let me know!

Anyway, I will probably be buying an LGT next month. I am a performance-oriented driver, so a MT is a must. I am looking at a 2006 LGT (non specB). I say '06 because the '07 weighs 50 lbs more for no justifiable reason (3415 vs 3365). What are we paying for? SI-Drive so I can dumb down my throttle response whenever I get the urge?

In fact, I am tempted to pick up a non-limited 2005 model, since it only weighs 3300lbs. That way I would not have to deal with the extra weight and loss of rigidity from the sunroof. One problem: I love leather seats; I have beautifully fitting European Recaros in both my current cars. The LTD has leather, but they are both heated and powered, two features that do nothing for me other than add weight. Anyway, is there anything else that the LTD has other than the seats and sunroof that explain/justify its 65-lb weight increase over the base GT? Do both cars have auto climate control, because I have heard it is a lot easier to go aftermarket on the stereo if you have manual A/C.

I was looking for a sticky in this forum that had all the differences in the base trims and available packages over the years...could be helpful to prospective buyers?

All my weights came off MSN car research; I don't know how accurate they are but the relative differences are probably close enough for the sake of argument.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just weighed my non-limited '05 at the (same) track. 3235lb without me in it and 3/8 tank of gas. The non-limited's have the same automatic climate control. I had leather in my past few cars but I don't mind the cloth in this one at all.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I have a 08 LGT 5 speed. I weghed it at the track and it weighed 3300lb, without me in it and about a 1/4 tank of gas. The spec B 6 speed is quite a bit heavier than the 5 speed. It is also quite a bit stronger.

"curb weight" is supposed to include a full tank of gas, so that partially explains the difference between your weight at the track at MSN's reported weight for an '08 LGT at 3415.

Anyway, the point is that your '08 weighs significantly more than an '05 (approx 150 lbs more). I just wonder what the '08 has that makes it 150lbs better than an '05.

I just weighed my non-limited '05 at the (same) track. 3235lb without me in it and 3/8 tank of gas. The non-limited's have the same automatic climate control. I had leather in my past few cars but I don't mind the cloth in this one at all.

I like leather 'cause in my experience it is easier to keep clean and looks nicer.

Thanks for confirming on the climate control, even if it is bad news to me!

So I wonder, as an owner of an '05 non-limited, is there something that the limited or the newer cars have that you wish you had and would justify the extra weight? If you could upgrade to a ltd or specB at no cost, would you?

"curb weight" is supposed to include a full tank of gas, so that partially explains the difference between your weight at the track at MSN's reported weight for an '08 LGT at 3415.

Anyway, the point is that your '08 weighs significantly more than an '05 (approx 150 lbs more). I just wonder what the '08 has that makes it 150lbs better than an '05.

I like leather 'cause in my experience it is easier to keep clean and looks nicer.

Thanks for confirming on the climate control, even if it is bad news to me!

So I wonder, as an owner of an '05 non-limited, is there something that the limited or the newer cars have that you wish you had and would justify the extra weight? If you could upgrade to a ltd or specB at no cost, would you?

We are trying to explain to you that there is maybe a 75lb weight increase from 05 to 08. It is mostly due to the limited only version availible. You get a Sunroof, and leather seats. The sunroof alone can add about that much weight.

You are comparing a 05 lgt nonlimited to a 08 spec b. The spec b will be alot heavier due to the 6 speed transmission, navigation, and 18" wheels.

Fold down rear seats will add some extra weight as well. That became standard in '07+ (GT's and Spec.B's) IIRC.

The Spec.B 6MT, R180 rear diff., wheels, and navigation will all add a bit more weight versus the GT (Nav not available with GT-5MT).

Spec.B will also have aluminum suspension components which are more rigid and slightly lighter. I can tell you, from experience, that the difference is entirely academic for daily driving.

You are comparing a 05 lgt nonlimited to a 08 spec b. The spec b will be alot heavier due to the 6 speed transmission, navigation, and 18" wheels.

05 LGT: 3300

05-06 LGT LTD: 3365

06 specB: 3400

07-09 LGT LTD: 3415

07 specB: 3515

08-09 specB: 3530

from 06 to 07 the LTD went up 50 lbs

from 06 to 08 the specB went up 130 lbs

My point in comparing the 05 LGT direcly to the 08 specB is that, in terms of performance potential and utility, you pay a 230-lbs premium for what? A beefier rear diff, an extra gear and a nav system?

If the 18" wheels do contribute to the weight increase as you suggest, then shame on Subaru for adding unsprung rotating mass to their "high performance" version of the LGT.

Spec.B will also have aluminum suspension components which are more rigid and slightly lighter. I can tell you, from experience, that the difference is entirely academic for daily driving.

It makes you wonder how much they saved with the aluminum, given the overall increase in curb weight.

I guess I've decided that the specB is not for me since I can do better in the aftermarket. The only sticking point is the 6-speed. But it seems to me, if you are going to update the power of the car, then the shorter gear ratios of a 6-speed would only work against you.

Are those really the only differences in the '05 LTD then--the sunroof and seats? So if I were to buy the LTD front and rear seats separate and install them the only difference would be the sunroof?

in 06 the spec B did not come with a 6 speed. It had the same 5 speed as the LGT. so the 50lb difference from the 05-07/08 LGt limited is probably due to the folding rear seats as allready mentioned above. From my expierence it has been really nice having folding rear seats. Also the 07+ LGT has Si drive I dought it adds that much weight, but it is a cool feature for some.

Perfomrance wise, you won't notice much of a difference between the years. If it were me, I would take a 115lb extra weight for a super strong 6 spped. Its not just a extra gear, its a better trany all around. If you don't plan on modding it above 350whp the 5 speed will be just fine.

Just my $.02

Hope this helps

Adam

in 06 the spec B did not come with a 6 speed. It had the same 5 speed as the LGT. so the 50lb difference from the 05-07/08 LGt limited is probably due to the folding rear seats as allready mentioned above. From my expierence it has been really nice having folding rear seats. Also the 07+ LGT has Si drive I dought it adds that much weight, but it is a cool feature for some.

Perfomrance wise, you won't notice much of a difference between the years. If it were me, I would take a 115lb extra weight for a super strong 6 spped. Its not just a extra gear, its a better trany all around. If you don't plan on modding it above 350whp the 5 speed will be just fine.

Just my $.02

Hope this helps

Adam

OK, now we're getting to the value-added! Folding rear seats alone definitely won't sell when there's weight involved, but they might help push me in that direction. They were in the specB in 2006 then became standard in 07?

Is the 6-speed really that much stronger than the 5? Do you have any data to back this up? I don't plan to go over 350 whp (probably not much over 300 whp) since it will be a daily driver, but I would like a clutch/tranny that can handle AWD launches, and if the 6spd can save me a clutch upgrade/replacement then it might just be worth it.

The thing that really turns me off about the specB, other than the weight, is the nav system. I hate factory nav systems since they never seem to be as good as the aftermarket ones and are inevitably out of date and generally useless after a few short years. I would want to replace it with an aftermarket Nav/DVD, which not only seems like a waste, but is probably a fairly expensive thing to do install-wise.

The only way SI drive makes sense to me is if I planned to routinely loan out the car (which I won't) and wanted to be able to use it as a sort of valet mode.

I believe the clutch in the spec b 6 spped is tha same as the LGT.

Somone correct me if I am wrong.

I have done quite a few AWD launches with my 5 spped at the track. The car is now in the shop with tranny problems. I think I just have bad luck, but the 5 speed can be broken.

'05 - GT offered in LTD and non-LTD. No spec.B model.

'06 - GT LTD only. Spec.B = GT LTD + Nav (not available with regular GT + MT) + Wheels + Suspension

'07 - GT & Spec.B Fold-down rear seats, SI drive; Spec.B gets 6MT + R180 Diff.

'08+ - Styling tweaks, new wheels for GT and for spec.B.

You can get valet mode with the Cobb Accessport and it won't be easily defeatable unlike SI-drive.

I have both - 05 non-limited and 05 limited (both wagons).

I like the cloth in 05 although the lack of two way height adjustment on the non-power seat means lack of thigh support. But it's not really uncomfortable for me.

Limited. I like the bigass moonroof on the wagon, although the cover squeeks/rattles sometimes, so it's bit annoying. The leather is surprisingly nice (I've been always opposed to leather in cars). Power driver seat is nice, too.

All in all it's kinda wash.... I think the non-limited variant is more "sporty" and limited is "luxo". I would certainly not pay the difference for limited when buying new. I bought my non-limited new, and the limited used, so the depreciation hit on the limited was taken by the original owner.

In may be in my head but I think the extra 85 lbs. between non-limited and limited wagons is noticeable accelaration wise.

We are trying to explain to you that there is maybe a 75lb weight increase from 05 to 08.

Yep. I would have thought the weight difference to be greater but just 65 lb's from '05 non-ltd GT to '08 GT. Same scale used, both weighed last Weds night at the track. My '05 has 18" wheels/tires so that might have added a few negligible pounds.

I prefer not to have the sunroof. I've always preferred leather but on this car I don't care. Folding rear seats would be nice, but I don't think I would have used them yet honestly. When I bought my used '05 it just happened to be non-limited. If it were limited it would not have made any difference in my decision to buy it.

The 6-speed is the one thing I'd love to have!

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

So if you put the LTD seats in the '05 non-LTD, is the interior then identical?

I'm still not sure about the 6-spd. If there is any valid reason to get the specB over another version, that would be it...but what are the differences?

From Edmunds:

"This reworked version of the WRX STI's gearbox is standard equipment in spec.B models, and is much slicker than the five-speed (now found only in Limiteds), as if the six-speeder's guts were dipped in vegetable shortening."

Anyone have eperience here? "dipped in vegetable shortening"?

I do like the blue alcanthra seats--reminds me of the Audi RS2. Are they easy to clean?

"Let's recap: The Limited, which was never really limited, remains so, and although last year's non-Limited version was limited, it isn't anymore."

I love how all the smart asses in the world end up working for car magazines :)

OK, so lighter is not always better, but I am having a hard time seeing the value in the ballooning weight of the LGT (and most other modern cars for that matter). Is there something just so awesome in the newer cars that justifies the ever-increasing weight and would compell me to buy a 3530-lb '08 specB vs a 3300-lb '05 LGT? If there is, please let me know!

Anyway, I will probably be buying an LGT next month. I am a performance-oriented driver, so a MT is a must. I am looking at a 2006 LGT (non specB). I say '06 because the '07 weighs 50 lbs more for no justifiable reason (3415 vs 3365). What are we paying for? SI-Drive so I can dumb down my throttle response whenever I get the urge?

In fact, I am tempted to pick up a non-limited 2005 model, since it only weighs 3300lbs. That way I would not have to deal with the extra weight and loss of rigidity from the sunroof. One problem: I love leather seats; I have beautifully fitting European Recaros in both my current cars. The LTD has leather, but they are both heated and powered, two features that do nothing for me other than add weight. Anyway, is there anything else that the LTD has other than the seats and sunroof that explain/justify its 65-lb weight increase over the base GT? Do both cars have auto climate control, because I have heard it is a lot easier to go aftermarket on the stereo if you have manual A/C.

I was looking for a sticky in this forum that had all the differences in the base trims and available packages over the years...could be helpful to prospective buyers?

All my weights came off MSN car research; I don't know how accurate they are but the relative differencey another are probably close enough for the sake of argument.

Less weight = better power to weight and better handling:lol:

You can drop another 100 pounds with Cos (60), 17" light rims (30) , Tubular sway bars(5);)

I love the 05s.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I believe the clutch in the spec b 6 spped is tha same as the LGT.

Somone correct me if I am wrong.

I have done quite a few AWD launches with my 5 spped at the track. The car is now in the shop with tranny problems. I think I just have bad luck, but the 5 speed can be broken.

Any manual tranny can be broken with ease

Spec B has more bolstered seats than the GT and exclusive to '06 comes in Titanium Silver w/Brick red interior and limited to 500 units, '07+ Specs are regualr production models. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Braille B2015, RBS grill, Borla CBE, Zero/Sports rad shroud, Hayden TC, Group A crank & alt pulley - Mike

Archived