LegacyGT.com

Did I get screwed... !@#$

Selds

At the beginning of 06 I purchased a Brand new "05" GT limited sedan 5mt from Chaplins of Bellevue Washington. I have a friend that works there and he set me up with a salesman who he liked and put me on the "Friends and Family" plan. Basically the final price with rebates and such was 26,500 before taxes etc. Now after reading from peeps here I have a feeling I got duped.... I figured this was the inside track and I couldn't help but get a fair deal. Now I am not so sure :icon_mad:. I'm guessing there is nothing about it I can do now. I feel really pissed cause I normally do my research but in this instance I felt I was being taken care of so I didnt. Now after doing research it looks as if I could have gotten an 06 even cheaper. ARGHHHhh!@#$ If I did get duped then I warn all people in Washington state to avoid CHAPLIN"S auto in Bellevue. <crosses fingers hoping to hear someone has something good to say about this>

Thanks

Seems like you probably could have done a bit better on your own. I too have read on this that people were getting leftover 05 Limited GT's between 23,500 and 25,500. I purchased my non-limited 05 GT in October for 22,900 brand new. Did you get anything additional for that price? (Subwoofer, all weather mats, Compass/mirror? etc..) Still, could of done A LOT worse....
- The Mortgage Man

Hey, Don't take it so hard. You have an awsome car, and compared to us Canadians, you made out like a bandit!

Dealer cost on my 05LGT 5MT LTD - $37ish - at current exchange rates, I paid over $30 largeUSD. Don't sweat it.

It happens to the best of us! We trust what we think makes sense.:) I almost bought from Eastside Subaru up in Kirkland and they were offering me $26,400 after all rebates and such on a car without a spoiler. I came on here and found out what people were paying and decided to keep looking. I paid $25,900 in late August for one w/spolier but I had to drive down to Bend, OR to get it. You didn't get screwed by any means, just didn't get the "best" deal.

Are you happy with the car though? Do enjoy everyday you get in it? Is it still a thrill when you look at it? I answer yes to those everyday!:icon_bigg So even though people are getting these for $24K+ now, I still love my ride!!! You live and learn man. Don't stress! My first brand new LGT was an '02 I bought in Jan. of '03 and I know I overpaid at $22.2K for it. I still loved that car though!:icon_bigg

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Ya, I agree with LegGTLT... doesn't really matter if you like the car... nothing you can do about it now, so don't sweat it. You did what you thought was right; no point in blaming the dealership either.

Seahawks FTW!!! (My wife is a Spokane native... 8^)

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

I don't think you got duped, they probably actually did give you the preferred pricing. When I got my OXT in 10/04, the dealer offered me the Family price straight-away, as I've bought 4 Subaru or Miatae from him. This was $500 over invoice, which I politely declined. For most folks who do not know what they "should" be paying, the Preferred..... pricing saves them money and hassle. Most folks who buy Fords on the A plan, could have gotten their cars via thorough research and fierce negotiation. Look at it this way, your buying experience was stress free.

Well if you want to quantify it........that's a $1500 premium after-purchase service charge.

After accidentally paying a similar charge + a $700 extended BULLSHIT dealer warranty, I expect to be treated like a king everytime I come in. Hey, he gave me an I-owe-you with "Great Service" and damn it I'll squeeze every little bit out of that teet.

I keed I keeed

if you felt you got a good deal, dont worry about it.

some people pay MSRP and think they got a great deal and some pay under invoice and think they are getting screwed.

even though some others paid less than you for their LGT, dont get all worked up about what you paid. that dealer may have a great service dept that makes up for it. just be sure to do research on your next purchase.

I'd echo what others are saying...don't sweat it too much. You got a great car for just over 25K. I just bought a leftover MT '05 LGT as well, after doing a LOT of internet shopping and dealer emailing throughout the southeast. Some dealers wouldn't budge from the 25,000-26,500 range, while 3-4 (out of 15 or so) would. So in any given area, it is quite possible that 26,500 was only 500-1000 above the "best" possible price.

I ended up flying about 500 miles to buy my car and then drove it home. Well worth it for 23,700 OTD (before my local sales tax gets added), but this took some doing.

Bottom line, great car and still a great value. Really, we're all pretty lucky that the LGT isn't very popular. See tons of outbacks and foresters and rexes in ATL, but I'm yet to see another LGT. Keeps them selling for invoice and keeps me feeling like I've discovered a little secret that the general public hasn't caught onto yet.

26100 for a wagon here. seemed fair to me since wagons are about a grand more than sedans and plenty here were getting sedans for 25ish when I purchased. I'm sure I could have haggled and spent a few days going back and forth between dealerships to get the best possible price, but I offered to pay what I thought was fair based on what others were paying and availability of what I wanted .......

it's all about what the car is worth to you.

Just because you let yourself get screwed doesn't mean everyone should avoid Chaplin's Subaru. I bought my '05 GT Wagon there in March of 2005 for $1200 under invoice and had a very pleasant buying experience.

I wouldnt say it was Chaplins fault. Its yours..You trusted your friend to hook you up with someone that was supposed to give you an honest deal.
It wasn't even a dishonest deal; it just wasn't a really good deal.

Archived