LegacyGT.com

I installed sprinkler guts onto my shifter to get rid of rattle...

RobY

Not my idea...

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/drivetrain-components/22123-yay-fixed-ing-shifter-rattle-pics.html

I saw this on IWSTI.com i figured i would give it a try...

I have had an annoying shifter rattle that would present itself around 70mph in 5th gear. I currently have a KB short shifter and bushings.

I went to lowes tonight and dug through the meager winter stock of rainbird sprinkler heads and I found one that I needed. I proceeded to gut it and install the spring into my car...

From examination and speculation i can surmise that the spring is a very weak spring that puts upward pressure on the ball joint and creates a buffer between the rigid pivot.

Not my photo...

http://img115.exs.cx/img115/8080/shifter21mq.jpg

Ill let you guys know by the end of the week if it cured my rattle for good.

:lol: that almost looks like it belongs there.

Might also want to try putting thicker grease in there, and more of it. I have so much in there you can't see the white retaining clip. It seems to have helped for me, at least during the winter when the grease is really thick from the cold. I ended up putting a huge blob of red Mobil 1 synthetic grease in there.

The socket is packed full of grease. Theres so much grease in there its overflowing the cup. It does help but only temporarily... Once it squeezes out the rattle comes back within a week.

Hopefully this will be a more permanent fix.

Or everyone could just bitch at the damn companies that make the pivot out of metal. After trying kartboy, cobb, and perrin, I finally bought a SPT shifter from subaru so that I could get the plastic (whatever its made of) cover on the pivot. Much shorter throw and no vibrating/rattle.

Archived