LegacyGT.com

G35 vs Legacy GT Purchase

This probably the wrong forum to ask this in ;) I have a choice in my car buying to make this afternoon... here are the contenders.

2005 Legacy GT Limited 35000 miles - Garnet Red, automatic - $20,999

vs.

2005 G35 Sedan 30000 miles - Red, automatic - $19,999

I have driven both and here is what is important to me...

- Comfort, g35 slightly bigger feeling inside (I am 6'2" 270 lbs so big is better)

- Somewhat sporty, I am not looking to race the thing, I mean I am getting an auto :) but I want to have fun on my daily 30 min drive.

They both have very similar features inside and the subbie has the turbo and AWD obviously... so have to consider that.

any and all opinions are helpful :)

Thanks,

Brandon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try to find a non-limited GT.

Lose the sunroof and gain so much more space. Seriously.

6'4" here, I can't even fit in a limited legacy

/Wagons have even more space due to roof curvature.

That said, i'm a big fan of both the VQ and the ATESSA-E TS system. If they made a manual wagon version I might have considered them.

Too much for the LGT with 35,000 miles...Two different type of sedans go with the G for slightly more comfort and fit and finish or the LGT for the AWD and tuner friendly. If you just want a sporty day to day with no plans to mod and awd is not needed the G is your choice.

I love the G35! If they had the coupe in AWD, I would have definitely considered it.

Like someone mentioned, if you happen to live in an area with snow, the LGT would be the better choice. The LGT would be easier to modify for power as well.. if that's your thing.

Just make sure you get that seller to drop his asking price by at least $3,000. :lol:

In terms of comfort you are gonna fit way better in the G. I am only 6 feet and I find the LGT slightly cramped with headroom sometimes, but that depends on how I style my hair :lol:

If you do happen to live somewhere with a full blown winter you will want to consider the sube for the AWD. It has not failed me yet.

They will. G37x coupe should be coming out for MY09. Of course you can always pony up $70k for the GTR too. :lol:

The G37 is sweet! Interestingly enough, it costs around $55,000 in Canada so they'lll probably want over $60,000 for the G37x. :spin:

Better start saving now...

Yea I agree on the GT price - It is one coming off a lease so you know the subaru dealerships get GREAT buyout on those moneymakers.

I live in Seattle.. not TO much snow and not as much rain as everyone thinks (although there is flooding all over the state right now).

I am not as into the tuner thing and daily driving is my deal.

ok, so lets throw another contender in the mix (this is the problem with having a car that runs, I can change my mind a 1000 times before finally buying a car... before a car I was thinking about a Titan, till I listened to the collective ear of my green brothers here in the NW ;)) What about a 2004/05 Acura TL, anyone had one? I know they are FWD which alot of ppl don't like (personally don't care)

Brandon

I had a G35 Coupe before the LGT Limited.

The G was fun, especially in SLIGHT snow (1/2-1"). My CD player would CONSTANTLY skip when it was cold out, which bothered me like crazy and the dealer said it's not warrentied. I got clubbed over the head like a baby seal with the pricing: $25,900 for an 04 (this was in 9/06). Drove really nice though. Chicks loved it. Everytime I started to get the feeling that I was even a little baller, something more baller would roll up (M5, M6, SL600, etc...) and put me back in my place. Horrible car to have sex in (this was a coupe though). Sounded absolutely amazing. Mine was a 6MT, Premium Package (navi, sunroof, auto up/down windows, compass on the mirror, Bose 6-disc in dash), 'Sport package' (Brembo brakes, 18" wheels/tires), Aero package (front lip, rear side strakes, decklid wing).

LGT is more comfortable though. Just cruising around. Gets better gas milage. In the G35, I saw maybe 25mpg highway AT MOST (down hill, wind moving with me, high tire pressure, and 1/8th tank lol). The LGT I frequently see 27-30mpg in less than favorable highway conditions. I really liked the navigation system on the G, helped me out several times but I needed a newer disc. In my area, some roads existed for abour 7 years or so that weren't shown on the nav screen.

LGT cd player doesn't skip a beat for me. The gauge cluster looks a lot better. Sounds almost as good with an exhaust. Responds better to mods, and they're cheaper.

That said, i'm a big fan of both the VQ and the ATESSA-E TS system. If they made a manual wagon version I might have considered them.

My thoughts exactly. Between a G35 6MT sedan and a LGT 5MT sedan, I'd choose the G35, but the LGT Limited 5MT wagon was the best of both worlds for me. :)

I'd get the G35 if I had to choose between those two specific cars (ignore the Acura). However, if you get the GT you WILL mod it and never look back. If you get the G35 you'll stay stock (except for stereo and tint) and not enjoy it as much. Like nm+ said, just get the non-limited and you're good. Good luck!

hrmm between that year G35 and LGT, then i would go LGT. I didnt like the suspension on those G35s.. they were too bumpy for my taste..

now the new sedans.. i would definitely want that.. but i would have the LGT over the coupe.. LOL im way too confused

Before I got my Legacy I kept thinking I wanted a G35 couple with a 6MT but I just couldn't get past how much I hated that front end. The Legacy is a much better looking car, IMO. Looks aren't the most important thing (I do, after all, own a bugeye WRX) but I just couldn't see dropping $20K on a G35 if I wasn't happy with it. I love my Legacy but I do know what some of you are saying about space. I'm 6'4, 275# so if I keep my cell phone in my pocket it rubs against the e-brake and if I let my hair get too long it hits the headliner.

hrmm between that year G35 and LGT, then i would go LGT. I didnt like the suspension on those G35s.. they were too bumpy for my taste..

now the new sedans.. i would definitely want that.. but i would have the LGT over the coupe.. LOL im way too confused

:whore:

The TL is really nice, but has mad torque steer which sucks. The only TL I would consider is the TL-S, but they're still pretty spendy. And for that money, I'd get an RL with SH-AWD. If you're just looking for a big comfy car, you might look at a Lexus GS400. Gorgeous car IMHO and easily in that price range, RWD, 300HP V8.

The one part of the TL I liked was the interior - very roomy. I think the one thing holding me back on the GT is the room. Test drive was VERY fun. I currently drive a 2002 Lancer ES (that would economy sedan :)) and surprisingly it has more room.

So I see not many TL fans, although they are very hard to find with low miles at a competitive price.

While we are at it, what do you guys think of the Lexus is300? (BTW that gs400 does look like a big comfy car, I would probably have to go to old to get to my price range though, and I am still trying to keep my youth alive just slightly :) Watch after I say that I am going to end up coming back here and tell you about my brand spankin' new Camry ;))

- Brandon

I'm your height and another 10-15 lbs larger and the only fittment issues I ever had with the car are getting my size 15 1/2 shoes to not hit the trim above the pedals. Otherwise the car has been great over the past 3 years.

If you live in the Land of Eternal Rain, AWD would be very useful. It's true the LGT is not a large car. To me the IS has no qualities that set it apart from other cars; it's the Cressida of this decade. At that point you could just get a Hyundai Azera and enjoy the remainder of the 10yr warranty and have just as much car and twice the speed. Drive one and see what you think - the room will blow your socks off, and that's before you try out the go pedal.

While we are at it, what do you guys think of the Lexus is300?

Given your size concerns, keep in mind that the previous generation IS300 and the current IS250/IS350 are TINY. They are considered sub-compacts by the EPA based on interior volume. We're talking about 87 cubic feet of interior passenger space (not counting cargo space) versus 93-94 for the Legacy sedan or 97 cubic feet for a Legacy wagon.

Archived