LegacyGT.com

JD Power's dependable cars list

lejjasie

Buick number one?

Do Buick owners drive more then 1000 miles a year? I don't think too many people in retirement homes drive all that far.

Grats to Subaru for being in the top 10, just slightly above Jaguar which is renowned for their excellent reliability!

Buick number one?

Do Buick owners drive more then 1000 miles a year? I don't think too many people in retirement homes drive all that far.

Grats to Subaru for being in the top 10, just slightly above Jaguar which is renowned for their excellent reliability!

I think my grandma's 99 LeSabre had around 7,000 miles on it when she sold it this year.

It's been very reliable after all these years! :lol:

I had the same question about buicks. Who in the right mind below 55 would buy a car like that and drive it for the heck of driving or to go to the clubs. They are banned in the district anyway. They should have asked the folks that drive the one's that are converted to cabs here if they are truly reliable. I doubt if cabbies ever care about answering these surveys.

On a side note - Camrys are a huge hit with the cabbies here. Especially the hybrid ones. LOL!

I'll vouch for Buick. I have owned two older Buicks since I have been driving(13 years or so). My 87 Lesabre was probably the most reliable vehicle I have owned. I had actually considered a Lucerne before I bought my LGT.. Too bad they don't have AWD..

I'll vouch for Buick. I have owned two older Buicks since I have been driving(13 years or so). My 87 Lesabre was probably the most reliable vehicle I have owned. I had actually considered a Lucerne before I bought my LGT.. Too bad they don't have AWD..

See thats funny because my parents had an '88 Century wagon that blew up at 8,000 miles. And that was the end of that.

You cant go by that now. I was reading an article not too long ago that Hyundai/Kia Motors have a great reliability rating and good initial quality.

I can vouch for that. Had an 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT. One of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. I put 167,000 miles on it in four years without any breakdowns or failures. Only had to put a timing belt and a new clutch in it.

I guess Consumer reports have never surveyed some legacygt.com members. My car has been a turd as far as I am concerned.

Guess it depends on the generation. Up until my mom got rid of it, my car had a better service record than her RX300 (which actually didnt have a terrible number of repairs it required in the 8 years we owned it) and they were both the same age. I used to gloat about it.

With 94,000 miles on my odo. I can't complain at all really. Its all been normal wear and tear.

Funny thing is that the Big 3's worst selling label is the highest rated meanwhile the big Japenese brands have all of their labels on this list

1) Buick: 145 - worst selling GM label

1) Lexus: 145 (tie)

2) Cadillac: 162

3) Mercury: 168 - worst selling Ford label

4) Honda: 169

5) Toyota: 178

6) BMW: 182 - driven by the 3 series...the rest of the line is unreliable particuarly the X5

7) Lincoln: 182

8) Subaru: 192

9) Oldsmobile: 196 - killed by GM

10) Jaguar: 197 - good thing they don't sell many of their X's because those cars are turd's

Isn't it intersting that Buick used to have all these sedan and wagon options and now they only have two sedans, neither of which are as big as the Roadmaster, and the rest is minivans and SUVs. I think that GM is setting themselves up for another Oldsmobile style exit.

You can share only so many vehicles between car lines. GM's minivan was shared between Buick, Saturn, Chevy, Pontiac, and until recently Oldsmobile. No wonder no one brand reports overwhelming sales of that van.

You cant go by that now. I was reading an article not too long ago that Hyundai/Kia Motors have a great reliability rating and good initial quality.

i really dont know how much of that is bandwagoning.

we test drove a brand new sonata and the rear suspension was squeaking through the rear after every undulation.

on roughly 30% of the sonatas i've seen on the front bumper a corner juts out unnaturally. it's near the headlight.

they're getting good. they're getting close. but they're not "THERE" yet.

my dad was a hyundai-ish fanboy for awhile due to what he read (similar to stuff you've been reading) so he was really rooting for them. came away disappointed from the test drives. his 7 year old avalon was still light years away from a supposed "competitor" the azera.

I just feel like the bandwagon is "the japanese did it, so everyone from asia can do it too." Cultures are different, attention to detail is different. Pride in work is different. For example: made in japan stuff as opposed to made in china stuff. which has a better reputation, and for how long in the past?

car for sale. PM me!

they were in production 3 years ago...

this test is a test for 3 year old cars.

...and it's not really that big of a challenge to keep the cars running for three years. They should do the same reliability check after five or ten years and see how the rankings change.

They should also post average mileage, or at least have a minimum mileage to be considered in the rankings so those low-mileage ones don't distort the rankings.

• 3 weeks later...
Lincold (sic), Oldsmobile, and Cadillac are the three least reliable brands that I can think of. Something is fishy here.

A decent blog has an interesting take on this point:

"... lines
bought largely by geriatrics and stodgy daily drivers
who might not demand much from their vehicles, and who therefore would
a)
have fewer reliability problems and
b)
have a low threshold of "satisfaction." "

When you get old folks driving cars for less miles than average and demanding less from their vehicles, its easy to see why cars chosen by that demographic are going to score higher in satisfaction surveys.

My $0.02.

Buick number one?

I love my Subarus, but I've got to say that the build quality of Buick automobiles built in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada equals or betters most every other brand sold in the North American marketplace, and has since at least model year 1999.

You can bet that if Oshawa's Buick assembly plant built Subarus, paint complaints (sic) as we now know them would be history.
;)

Archived