Georgia roll call

tougefox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love to come out to the meets. No performance mods done at this point. I've done the few hacks found on the forum that are great. It's just a matter of money and priorities. I'll probably do a few more cosmetic things and lust over an intake/exhaust upgrade for a while.

Let me know about an upcoming meet.

im always at the meets on thursday at northpoint, trying to make it out to more events and shows. So your welcome to come out anytime. If you wanna meet up and ride out to the meet just let me know. I stay on upper hembree. Mine is fast enough for me, its just on mtn runs where i notice the weak low end pull, gonna try a pulley and see if that helps. For now its just on tein springs, sti strut bar, momo steering wheel, intake silencer delete and aggressive alignment.

Columbus, GA here. Although I go frequently to Duluth for tuning at Subaru of Gwinnett.;)

05 STI CGM~520whp/463wtq...more to come!

08 STI Aspen White/Gold BBS~305whp/365wtq:D

Both tuned by Scott Siegel!

• 2 weeks later...
Douglasville here.. cars too dirty to be going to any meets right now :p infact I'm poking around the southeast forum to find a good atlanta area detailer that actually DETAILS.. because PRESSURE WASHING is not DETAILING!!one!!one1!11!
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

(peter griffin) perhaps.... (/peter griffin)

TBH, I've never actually been in the perimeter and driven myself heh, I dont know anything about the streets downtown.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Hello People!

I will be a resident in Athens, GA within the week. I am so excited if you cannot tell! I found a place 3 miles out of town for rent surrounded by woods. Gotta love that too. Leggy gets to make the most moving trips. I was up to 42 mpg on my last trip, but my overall trip average came out to be 38.7. 565 miles on that tank of gas. wohoo! I have a pic of it, but it is WAY too large of a file to attach. I tried (any ideas here?) K&N, 44 psi, mobil 1 5w-30 (Havent even done the amsoil diffs and tranny yet. I expect it to go higher in mileage.) Thats why it gets to do most of the driving for the move. The Vehicross is delegated to pulling a utility trailer for one trip and making me broke. I expect about 15 mpg for that run. :eek: At least after sitting for a year and being driven twice a month the only thing it needed for the trip was a battery charge (darn optima reds) and oil change. Likes up to its namesake- a short bus Trooper! Lol.

I dont know how soon I will recover financially for any meets unless you head to Athens for one! :lol:

Hello People!

I will be a resident in Athens, GA within the week. I am so excited if you cannot tell! I found a place 3 miles out of town for rent surrounded by woods. Gotta love that too. Leggy gets to make the most moving trips. I was up to 42 mpg on my last trip, but my overall trip average came out to be 38.7. 565 miles on that tank of gas. wohoo! I have a pic of it, but it is WAY too large of a file to attach. I tried (any ideas here?) K&N, 44 psi, mobil 1 5w-30 (Havent even done the amsoil diffs and tranny yet. I expect it to go higher in mileage.) Thats why it gets to do most of the driving for the move. The Vehicross is delegated to pulling a utility trailer for one trip and making me broke. I expect about 15 mpg for that run. :eek: At least after sitting for a year and being driven twice a month the only thing it needed for the trip was a battery charge (darn optima reds) and oil change. Likes up to its namesake- a short bus Trooper! Lol.

I dont know how soon I will recover financially for any meets unless you head to Athens for one! :lol:

42 mpg? How do you do that? I cruise at 65 on the highway and the best I can do is 34.

Its really easy! slow down about 10 to 15 mph. Seriously, not being in a hurry is what yields the best mileage. You HAVE to be in top gear, have torque converter locked, lower rpms, the flatter the better. at lower rpms the engine uses less CFMs of air. Less air = less fuel that the computer is managing. Being a torquey boxer engine, this is where the scooby is most efficient- less CFMs, and still in the powerband enough to maintain road horsepower and still maintaining speed. Also, less aerodynamic drag. I find 50 to 55 the highest mileage range due to drag, rpms, and engine torque finding their sweet spot. As soon as you have traffic lights, stop signs, and other various speeding up and slowing down, kiss good mileage goodbye. It is very efficient down to 45 and even 40 mph, but any extra load causes the tranny to unlock the torque converter and/or shifts into 3rd gear. Also, that low of an rpm is a little less efficient due to the lack of efficiency from the powerband at those speeds. Dont forget, I was going through S. GA, and I didnt have to stop for anything but to wee wee at the 1 gas station on hwy 15 that was open the whole trip (it was at night). Besides, would you even want to stop on a foggy night in the Altamaha area? Lol

Oh yeah, I forgot to add...

I filled up N of Jacksonville, never stopped except once at 4:00 am in Sandersville? GA. I was also at sea level to start the run, and it was about 70 degrees. All of this adds to the efficiency. No cold starts, not many towns in which to slow down for. My mileage didnt start to drop until I was driving city speeds, starting and stopping, cold starting, and at higher elevation going up and down hills. :spin: Whew!

yea.. if I see more than 25mpg on a constant flat highway trip I'm happy.

my car averages 17mpg on my commute and its 70% highway..

Yeah, especially in Georgia where it seems everyone's in a hurry. Years ago when I commuted to school (and the speed limit on New Jersey highways was still 55 mph) I would cruise at 45 mph to save gas. Crazy, but it worked. Today, I can't seem to do less than 65 - 70. What drives me nuts is seeing people in trucks and SUVs barreling down GA 400 in the morning doing at least 80.

GA 400 is the georgia autobahn.. or at least thats what people tell me.

average traffic flow I'd say around where I am is between 65-85. Once you start getting closer to alabama tho the limit goes up to 70 and people wil almost run you off the road unless you do at least 90... its insane! I'm glad I didn't move out that way.

and everyones not in a hurry in GA.. beleive me lol, infact a good number of people from this state have all day and nowhere to go EVER.. just.. not in the atlanta area. Think southeast GA, statesboro, waynesboro, millen..

You would have loved my previous commute in Alabama which I did every weekday for 4 years- 110 miles round trip. If it makes the ATL people feel better about speeding to work and such. Yeah, the pay was good before the gas prices went up. Commuting from the state line of TN to Huntsville, AL on I-65 and 565, I regularly set my cruise in my VX at 115. The wifes old Acura at 140. The Legacy never got pushed past 120 though. She was new back then. The best part about it compared to ATL? NO TRAFFIC AT ALL. :lol: Just dont ever exceed whats safe for the road conditions there, though. My first leg was a 30 mile trek through no mans land. Twisty 2 lanes. Wildlife and road conditions were the only hazard. A few alternate ways were shorter, but it was VX run only. There were 3 stream crossings that could ruin your day in the early AM fog after a rain! On one small bridge, I could get 5 feet of air without even unsettling my coffee due to the slope on the other side. Now you know why I drive slow now. Ive had all the fun I could have ever imagined over the last 2 decades of driving. Now, overpopulation and driving in traffic just scares the hell out of me.:hide: I just granny along unless somebody around me gets me scared of them.

Driving anywhere today is nothing like it was even a few years ago. I remember a jaunt I took with a high school buddy from ATL. Greensboro, NC to ATL, GA after school on a Friday to see a concert that evening at some punk club downtown- in a hair under 3 hours! A 1992 GTI no less. I wont even tell you the one way averaged speed.

Today, that sounds like suicide , right?:eek:

I just got a call from my new landlord. It will summarize why I decided to move back to a decent place- especially a southern, rural, old fashioned kind of place that barely exists anymore in my home state on NC, but yet, is right outside of a party town. Much less an hour from a major metropolitan city.

I looked online for a place to rent. I dont want to get in over my head right now, so I was being humble and started to look for ANYTHING affordable until I get a feel for the area to buy something. I tried to call several landlords. Already rented. Already rented. Darn college kids :icon_cry:. 2 more weeks of looking. I found 1 place out of town, and wasted 16 hours of driving to be disappointed by strategic photography. :spin:Why live in the sticks to have bubbas 20 feet away on either side? I looked for the Athens newspaper online. It read, "2Br/1Ba all major appliances. Private, wooded lot. 5 minutes to UGA $675/mo." Damn, it was 2 days after I was just up there. I called and talked to the sweetest older lady, and over the phone, she told me I could rent it. She has ived in that area her whole life. She liked my "personality and attitude about rural livin'. Lol. She asked if I could do my yardwork? I said, " ma'am, I love to do yardwork, and have a 26hp Husqvarna garden tractor". She called me a "big shot" jokingly. Lol. This saved money for rent. It was now $650/month!!! I also promised to not use my 5 expert badges to shoot her wildlife except with a camera! Lolol. Its no challenge, but I could if I needed to eat. She also had no problem with having my animals there. She then let me talk to her daughter who did all the "technology stuff" Lol. She emailed me pictures, and I told them I would send money to hold it as I knew some smart UGA roommates would know a party spot when they found this!:eek:

Today, I called and left a message about the possibility of me driving the truck and trailer load up there, and them having a little time, and also delivering the money, and meeting them. No call. At 4:00 pm I went to the Post Office to overnight the money. She called at 6:00pm when she arrived home and checked her messages. Oh goodness! she said. She had people looking at the place as she spoke, but didnt like them. When I told her that I overnighted the money because I didnt want to just show up unannounced, she said ok, If I was saying that I sent it, and was interested, she will take my word, and tell them its already rented. She gave up good money on my "word" that I did something? I assured her that It was with the Post Office, and would be there Thursday morning. She hasnt even met me?!

How often does that happen anymore????? Someone used my "Word" for the first time in however long? I had forgotten how much my "Word" used to mean to me, and how long it had been since I had met anyone that accepted "Word" as credit! :rolleyes: I think myself, my wife, and my cats are going to be very happy with our new "place out thar in the sticks". Why didnt I move there years ago? Alabama was a little more rural, but this place is a perfect mix of both worlds.

When was the last time you did business on your "word"?