LegacyGT.com

Off-the-shelf Cobb maps?

I just installed my Magnaflow cat-back and the '07 STI uppipe is going in tomorrow. Now, I want to wait until I get an aftermarket turbo and TMIC before I go out and pay for a pro-tune. How good are the OTS maps as-is? I want to see if an OTS Stage 1 base map (everyday driving) with Stage 2 real-time (for fun) can last me a few years until I upgrade the rest or if I really should get a pro-tune even with this small amount of mods I have. Any help is appreciated.

Full list of powertrain mods right now:

Unorthodox lightweight crank and power steering pulleys

Perrin turbo inlet hose

Magnaflow cat-back

'07 STI uppipe

Accessport V3

The Cobb maps are fine. Not the best or the most agressive but they are quite safe as they had a lot to lose by selling all those Accessports with maps that were too hot.

Load up stage 1 and have fun for now. I DON"T SEE a downpipe on your list of mods. Why the hell not? That is the first thing you should be going after, along with the STi up pipe for your 05.

If you load up stage 2 maps to your car and haven't eliminated the down pipe cat, you will have problems.

get a DP.

OTS maps aren't that great, imo. It's a generic map for a car that isn't yours. A protune will give you an entirely different car than just slapping the cobb map on it. You could always just do an e-tune for now and then protune when you get the rest of your mods.

The Cobb maps are fine. Not the best or the most agressive but they are quite safe as they had a lot to lose by selling all those Accessports with maps that were too hot.

Load up stage 1 and have fun for now. I DON"T SEE a downpipe on your list of mods. Why the hell not? That is the first thing you should be going after, along with the STi up pipe for your 05.

If you load up stage 2 maps to your car and haven't eliminated the down pipe cat, you will have problems.

get a DP.

The great nation of California is the "why the hell not". :mad:

If it wasn't to make the UP look stock to unsuspecting mechanics, I would've purchased a 3rd party one along with DP instead of an OEM STI UP. Gotta keep a stock cat in there somehow to stay outta trouble. :p

I'll consider aftermarket if there's a catted DP available with fully sandblasted exterior so it doesn't scream "I'm aftermarket!" when someone checks under the car. That or I get some help welding the stock DP heat shield onto the aftermarket DP to disguise it. :lol:

The great nation of California is the "why the hell not". :mad:

If it wasn't to make the UP look stock to unsuspecting mechanics, I would've purchased a 3rd party one along with DP instead of an OEM STI UP. Gotta keep a stock cat in there somehow to stay outta trouble. :p

I'll consider aftermarket if there's a catted DP available with fully sandblasted exterior so it doesn't scream "I'm aftermarket!" when someone checks under the car. That or I get some help welding the stock DP heat shield onto the aftermarket DP to disguise it. :lol:

You could gut the the inside of the stock downpipe.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Cobb stage 1 is fine, my wagon was on it for years, read that as, about 120,000 miles. Stage 1 is how the cars should have come from the factory.

You'll be fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks guys, I think I've decided on what to do now. Good news and bad news at the install today. Good news is, whoever owned this car before already had an STI UP installed. Bad news, I don't know what to do with the one I bought. :p

I'll run Stage 1 for now. I've decided to get a catless DP when I find a good deal on one, and stash the stock DP someplace safe for the once-every-2-years smog check.

Archived