LegacyGT.com

Adjusting front camber

Drift Monkey

So I got around to rotating my tires last night (way overdue) and upon inspection, I noticed that my front tires were wearing quite a bit on the outside! I'm sure this is because I (probably) have 0 degrees of static camber (damn that camber loss). I know the front has factory camber bolts and have a pretty good idea on how to adjust it (unbolt lower strut bolts, push brake inward) but I'm wondering just how hard it would be to dial in some negative camber by myself (without teh help of a shop). I've read the stock bolts are able to give about 1.5 degrees of negative camber so that should be enough for now. The only other question is...how to measure the camber? Thanks.

Get a bubble level and wire it or find a magnetic one. Better hardware stores may have one. I have one with 2* graduations on it.

You might need to clooge one up with an angle and a smaller line levels that are commonly used for laying pipes or setting a patio while hanging on a snap line.

Get a bubble level and wire it or find a magnetic one. Better hardware stores may have one. I have one with 2* graduations on it.

You might need to clooge one up with an angle and a smaller line levels that are commonly used for laying pipes or setting a patio while hanging on a snap line.

Would this work?

...also, when adjusting camber, will my toe be offset? If so, I guess I could pick one of these up too...

Measure all four wheels before adjusting any. You can then see if you're parked on level ground first.

Magnetic, yes--but is there a flat part of the wheel that you can stick it on?

The brake rotor?

Yeah, I'm probably gonna measure the current settings before proceeding, and my garage is pretty level, so I should be ok.

DM – Firestone has a deal for $130 you get a lifetime alignment. You can go in as many times as you want and have them adjust it. Not a bad deal for a new car, you can also transfer it when you sell the car. I did this when I changed out my springs and struts. I figure in the summer go back for a little more negative camber myself ;)

DM – Firestone has a deal for $130 you get a lifetime alignment. You can go in as many times as you want and have them adjust it. Not a bad deal for a new car, you can also transfer it when you sell the car. I did this when I changed out my springs and struts. I figure in the summer go back for a little more negative camber myself ;)

rclark0032 - which Firestone did you go to? Happy with their service?

Also, I read somewhere about one free alignment from the dealer in the first 10K miles, or something like that. anybody tried this? I noticed my OB pulling right today.

Sorry for the threadjack, DM.

Adjusting camber will change the toe. And if you maximize negative camber you'll be changing toe a fair amount. Also if you're seeing excessive outer tire wear it may be as a result to too much toe in. Toe will usually kill tires faster than camber.

Adjusting camber will change the toe. And if you maximize negative camber you'll be changing toe a fair amount. Also if you're seeing excessive outer tire wear it may be as a result to too much toe in. Toe will usually kill tires faster than camber.

I am aware of that, so I'll probably be going for the Firestone and get that $99 lifetime alignment deal. I could, however, string the car and measure toe in that way, but it doesn't look like my camber is moving anywhere anyways..

I am aware of that, so I'll probably be going for the Firestone and get that $99 lifetime alignment deal. I could, however, string the car and measure toe in that way, but it doesn't look like my camber is moving anywhere anyways..

Just make sure to take your own specifications (they can be found in manual) with you to firestone. They don’t have the '05 stats on the computer :rolleyes:

Would this work?

...also, when adjusting camber, will my toe be offset? If so, I guess I could pick one of these up too...

Those only work when the car is on a leveled surface and when the car is back down on the wheels, it's hard to adjust-on-the-fly with those tools. The best is get something like this which you can lean up against the wheel. When leveling, you can just loosen the top strut bolt (the bottom one is the pivot one) and slow turn the bolt. If you put your hand on the brake rotor, it wont move in. If you put your hand on the brake rotor and turn the bolt at the same time, you can feel the camber go in and out (depending on the lobe). Use the Smart tool before you raise the car (to get static camber measurements). you can lay the Smart tool on the rotor as you rotate the bolt so you can see how much your camber adjustments are moving.. then you can tighten the NUT (dont turn the bolt to tighten the strut bolt). Lower the car, double check your numbers again with the car lowered and driven around a few 100' (cuz the shocks have some stiction on them after lowering) and you should be good to go.

Keefe

the toe changes very slightly. If anything you are worried about is running too much toe.. because the whole tire will look like it's been plowing/scrubbing on a grind stone.

Keefe

Keefe

For those buble levels, all will work. AT rest on the ground or uncompressed in the air, what you reall want to look for is the change in camber. This works even if your car is not level.

Using the magnetic level, note the starting camber then move the top of the rotor in the desired amount with the eccentric lobe. Don't forget to change the toe. Someplace in here somebody figured out how many turns equals how much toe change.

But then ~100 for a lifetime alignment is a great deal. So long as the shop if halfway competent and willing to make custom alignments, do that instead.

You can go back every month or so to tweek your camber to balance even tire wear with performance.

If you have adjustable camber top mounts, I'd invest in a bubble level to make adjustments at the track or auto-x.

The brake rotor?

Yeah, I'm probably gonna measure the current settings before proceeding, and my garage is pretty level, so I should be ok.

Yes the rotor, and yes, it's a relative measurement. As long as you are close to level, just measure the change.

The lifetime alignment is on special for 99.99 at most firestone's right now...i juss got this done the other day.

Bah, I stopped by my local firestone (W Little York and HWY 6) and he told me I needed a coupon. I've searched through my junkmail with no avail. Which one did you goto and would they be willing to adjust the car to me custom settings?

Bah, I stopped by my local firestone (W Little York and HWY 6) and he told me I needed a coupon. I've searched through my junkmail with no avail. Which one did you goto and would they be willing to adjust the car to me custom settings?

They adjusted mine to my custom settings but made notes of it. They said this was incase I bought tires I would not complain about uneven wear :rolleyes:

http://shopping.ajc.com/PortalWeb/Portal.aspx?groupid=8&pagename=itemdetails&channelid=4&itemid=2979579

They adjusted mine to my custom settings but made notes of it. They said this was incase I bought tires I would not complain about uneven wear :rolleyes:

http://shopping.ajc.com/PortalWeb/Portal.aspx?groupid=8&pagename=itemdetails&channelid=4&itemid=2979579

Thanks, though I think I'm gonna try another location. I spoke to some local car guys and it seems that particular Firestone is known for being Nazis. :lol: When I asked they guy about the special, he insisted that I need a coupon and even pulled out his coupon stack to show me what it looked like. :rolleyes: A place near my workplace did my friends car for the special price with no coupon! :mad:

Yeah..the firestone I went to had a little free-standing display on the counter. I went to the one off of 59 and bellaire. It's by Sharpstown mall.. or what used to be sharpstwn mall is more like it..haha:lol:

Yeah, I'm probably gonna try the one at Memorial City Mall tomorrow (and print the coupon just in case). It still is Sharpstown Mall man! :lol:

Archived