LegacyGT.com

2006 Spec.b Speakers Don't Work. Thougts??

jeguzik

I have a 2006 Spec.B which I installed 4 6.5inch Polk replacement speakers this summer, the rest of the setup is all factory. They have worked great and then about 3 weeks ago, I lost all sound to the speakers. The head unit is still on and displaying and the climate control works. I turned off my car and restated and the speakers came back.

Tonight while driving in the rain home, I lost all of the sound to my speakers again. This time I turned off my car, and I still have no sound. The HU is still on, just no sound? HELP ME PLEASE, I cannot drive in a car with no radio. Anyone have this problem or does anyone have any ideas.

do you listen to the music at loud volume levels? Was the stereo on when the speakers went out or did you start the car up one morning and there was no sound? All four speakers going out at once points to a global source... such as the amp/head unit itself. Its possible its failing from the amp being over driven.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Playing it loud are you? Most amps/HU will kill themselves for a bit of time if you are over working them, to protect themselves from total melt down. Which it sounds like that may be the case since dies after playing music for a period of time.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Weasel, I thought about that as well and no I was not listening to it at loud levels. Maybe had the dial set on 13-16 listening to Opie and Anthony, so I was not driving them hard at all. Neither time was I driving them hard. Could there be anything wrong with the speakers or wiring that could cause the head unit to protect itself? I am so very confused.

do you listen to the music at loud volume levels? Was the stereo on when the speakers went out or did you start the car up one morning and there was no sound? All four speakers going out at once points to a global source... such as the amp/head unit itself. Its possible its failing from the amp being over driven.

Weasel, I thought about that as well and no I was not listening to it at loud levels. Maybe had the dial set on 13-16 listening to Opie and Anthony, so I was not driving them hard at all. Neither time was I driving them hard. Could there be anything wrong with the speakers or wiring that could cause the head unit to protect itself? I am so very confused.

I don't have the OEM stereo in my car anymore, but if I remember correctly, 13-16 is pretty high for that volume knob, as to where it would be with stock speakers anyway. Someone with a stock system would have to chime in on that.

My point is, if your new Polks are less efficient than then OEM speakers and require more power, you may be simply pushing your head unit's amplifier past its capabilities and into thermal protection, even if the volume you listen to is a comfortable level.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I believe all Subaru radios go up to 30.

I would:

A. Remove the radio, unplug harness, and test for ground continuity on the speaker leads. - A shorted speaker will cause no sound, after restart or not.

B. Purchase a reverse harness, and power up the stock radio on a solid working surface. Put in a CD and turn the volume up half way. Using the speaker leads on the reverse harness, test them with a known good speaker. - This will prove if its the radio or the speakers.

If its A, go back through the install of speakers. The most common culprit is the terminal and connection at the speaker, touching metal. This can be cured by using insulated connectors, or shrink tubing the connection. Duct/electrical tape works too. It is possible, after the install, the terminals wore the paint down enough to finally ground out.

If its B, well.. you'll need a new radio. But hold on.. it could have been A, that caused the B. A small resistance short at the speakers, will wear down the caps inside any amp overtime. Most in-radio amps have protection circuits, but are only useful if there is a huge spike or excess heat, as opposed to a tiny ground.

Try that out first and let us know. Good luck!

Rich @ HCA

I don't have the OEM stereo in my car anymore, but if I remember correctly, 13-16 is pretty high for that volume knob, as to where it would be with stock speakers anyway. Someone with a stock system would have to chime in on that.

My point is, if your new Polks are less efficient than then OEM speakers and require more power, you may be simply pushing your head unit's amplifier past its capabilities and into thermal protection, even if the volume you listen to is a comfortable level.

I routinely have my dial somewhere between 18-24. :lol: I'm gonna make my self deaf, but hey, I can fix that. :D

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

polks are generally very sensitve at 95-100+db so my guess is they are more as efficient or more so then the oem paper, but def sounds like you have an amp issue

generally you can get better / louder sound out of shitty speakers and good amp vs good speakers and shitty amp

on fm 18 is plenty loud doing 80 on the highway with the windows open for me

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived