LegacyGT.com

MSD coilpack questions

Purchased the msd 8239 coilpack without actually reading up on it and didn't know it was gonna be special to install. I figured I could just bolt it down and plug it in. So anyways now I'm looking to install it, and am wondering what other people have done to install theirs. Where did you get the correct plug to wire in the coilpack? How did you mount the coilpack to the intake manifold? I understand that different people may have taken different routes to get it all together and just want to see what will work best with me.

Check your local junkyard for a 1996-2003 Dodge Neon coilpack connector. Slice the wiring off at a good length because you're going to splice the wiring into your own (you have to cut yours off) & re-wire the new connector exact the same way the old one was wired up.

I think you can get the Mopar wiring harness pretty cheap (like $10 online from places like Rock Auto) if the local yard doesn't have it or wants more $$$ or it's too stinking cold to mess with.

I am thinking again of doing this mod to my car- the idle could use improving (the car still shakes a bit- idle is 650- 700 RPM). The only thing I haven't checked is the IACV.

As for the MSD coil- is the wiring as straightforward as you describe? (new wire on the left goes to the old wire on the left, etc...)? I've also read where you should solder the connections instead of using crimp connectors

Okay, I'll chime in. I like to pretend I'm smart when I actually know about something subaru related.

MSD coil will only line up with two of the mounting bolts on the intake. The wiring from subaru to coil is something like.

Subaru------>Coil

Red---------Red

Yellow------Yellow

Blue--------Black

Fair warning. Some people around the subaru forums have issues with the car wanting to run rich with the msd. Leading you to lower mpg. The member on here, Rubysu, had their leggy not pass emissions after msd due to the increase in burn off I guess? The thread is http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/failed-emissions-damn-215776p2.html

This could have been other factors though, as some people run the MSDs with ZERO problems and love them. So just something to keep in mind and to keep your eye on after the swap.

Good luck and as always just my .02$,

-LT

I think I'm gonna try ordering that harness online, I've been working everyday now because one of my co-workers quit and I've been covering most of their shifts and the people who run the junkyard near me are pretty useless when it comes to knowledge about cars, they probably wouldn't even be able to tell me if they have a neon on the lot.

I think I'm gonna try ordering that harness online, I've been working everyday now because one of my co-workers quit and I've been covering most of their shifts and the people who run the junkyard near me are pretty useless when it comes to knowledge about cars, they probably wouldn't even be able to tell me if they have a neon on the lot.

Probably the best deal I've found- less than $10 shipped

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1358085&parttype=2592

Probably the best deal I've found- less than $10 shipped

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1358085&parttype=2592

and if anybody else in the future uses this thread for reference to whats need for install, I just read up on nasioc that you can get 2 bolt holes to line up with extended bolts that you can buy at most hardware stores, and the bolts should be M6 x 2"

Yes the wiring that Irishlt posted is correct so is the bolt up, only two will line up iirc there was

a member or shop here that used to make a plate that would bolt into the manifold to accept

the msd on all four bolts. I think paranoid fabrications was the name but don't quote me. I made my own and used counter sink bolts for the plate, the difference is a about 3/8ths of an inch on the bottom holes.

I liked the msd mod with ngk plugs/wires..the idle was really nice on overgapped plugs. The stock

Gap is.44 you want a 46 gap w/copper plugs which I would recommend. I had mine for well over a year installed before I sold my bd I still see that car weekly and its still running strong on the same g-powers. I have heard the reports of them not lasting long but I just got another one off a friends srt-4

that has a date stamp from 2008 that I'm installing on my 1st gen wagon this spring when the motor goes back in. It is truly one of the best things to add with other upgrades as well. Just be sure to track all your grounding points down and clean them and when making the harness insulate all the wires and use shrinkwrap.

you dont have to cut your harness tho, you can cut the end off your old coil and make an adapter to put in between your OEM harness and the MSD. that way, you can go back to the OEM coil without rewiring it if youre not happy with the upgrade.

I was thinking about making an adapter because I have an extra old coilpack lying around anyways, but I hadn't looked at it yet to see if I could get the plug connector off without ruining it, but good to know that its possible, probably going to install mine like that just in case something with the msd goes wrong and I have to switch back to the stock pack real quick so I can drive around till I get it figured out.

Just cut it off as close to the coil as you can, it would be better to do it with a 95 or above coil pack, some of the older ones have a merged ground wire. It will look like four wires but merged to one. The msd adapter will be long enough for you to re-route under the throttle position sensor. The stock coil will be ruined when you cut them off but you will have a much better coil to replace it.:)

You don't have to ruin the old coil. I was thinking of wiring in spade connectors with my installation and wire the connectors onto both the new and old coils, so if I have problems with the MSD, I can always go back to the old coil in a pinch (since it's still functional)- just a thought anyway.

not sure. but if needed i can pull my adapter i made off and take pics of the wiring and such. i also have another neon harness already cut so i can do the same for my 96 when i get the new MSD.

That would be a great idea!- especially we can make this thread into a sticky.

Really? I couldn't find it in the same spot, it sent me from a link to summit. Yeah that write up was

real good.

I was going to add earlier that it would be a good time to seafoam the heads and I/m since your buying plugs too right? A lot of buildup will come out and you will foul the current plugs but its very

nice.

Archived