LegacyGT.com

How do i change my cabin air filter, 2005 legacy?

So I don't know a whole lot about cars and have not been able to figure this one out after some online searching. I got the glove box itself out, but the cabin air filter is still inaccessible unless I remove the whole panel thing for the glove box. Apparently this design was redone in 2006 to make it somewhat easier, but this doesnt really help me. any suggestions?

I haven't found an easier way to do it. You've just got to take it all apart, starting with the center console/storage box/arm rest.

Silly, right?

So I have to take the whole center console apart? Is there a trick to this or is it pretty basic to figure out?

Also, the 08 model has a newer design that makes it somewhat easier. So when you look on that thread you see the part where he says you "remove those 5 retarded screws". I don't have that section built into glove box area. So after I drop the glove box its just all one big piece of annoying plastic that wont come out.

• 1 month later...

If anyone can help. I have a '05 LGT without the cabin filter 'option' and I've seen/read the thread where you have to dismantle the centre console/dash to change it and some even took it upon themselves to 'mod' the glove box so that it would be easier in the future.

I remember the 'mod' was that they would dremel out a chunk of the plastic and such where the filter tray would hit. My question is would it be possible to dremel that section without taking apart the entire center console/dash??? Has anyone ever tried that?

thanks

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just be careful that you're only cutting through the plastic panel.

I had thought about doing what you're describing just the other day, but I ended up doing the install through the opening under the windshield cowling method instead. Folded the filter a little to get it in, and unfolded it over the panel. Took <10 minutes.

Just do what I did and get someone parting out their totaled car ang get the glove box assembly without the door skin.

Even if you gut, you'll have a huge hole where stuff can fall out which is covered by a cloth in the one with the retrofit.

Just in case for those with the retrofit:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Mm--92aTw]YouTube - Changing Cabin Air Filter[/ame]

Just do what I did and get someone parting out their totaled car ang get the glove box assembly without the door skin.

Even if you gut, you'll have a huge hole where stuff can fall out which is covered by a cloth in the one with the retrofit.

Just in case for those with the retrofit:

YouTube - Changing Cabin Air Filter

Thanks, I'll have to search the scrap yards...have not seen too many LGT where I am. Are the 2.5i compatible...can anyone confirm? I'm assume everything is the same between the two.

Archived