LegacyGT.com

window tinted: better in a shop or outside?

c-lo

Anyone know of any problems having a mobile tint shop tint your car outside? Used this guy on my other car but his shop is too far for me to go to. He is mobile and can come to me but was little worried about getting it done outdoors.

Is there any need concern here??

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

don't have a garage at work, so it would be outside.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

if the guy is quick then being outside shouldn't pose any problems. the only thing being outside is if it's windy but since they spray the window down with a little soapy water before applying the tint, the person has a good 5 minutes to move the tint around before it sets into place.

also, if it was me and the tint didn't come out right for any reason, i wouldn't pay him or i'd ask for a refund. they're suppose to push all the air bubbles and make the tint crease-free so if you see any problems, point it out.

Any shop will have an issue with dust. If the windows have stuff on them when the tint is applied, you will have bubbles. I would think an outdoor application would be more likely to have issues vs indoor. Any shop worth their salt will re-tint at n/c if there is dust.

I perfer to do it at outdoor, you'll be able to see all of the tiny bubbles. You'll need to clean both side of the window and make sure there are no little tiny hairs still on hanging around. Also, make sure its not too windy too and alots of water on films to prevent sticking together (hopefully).

If the guy installing the tint is comfortable doing it outdoors and is willing to retint if there is bubbles or dust underneath, then there isn't any reason not to have him do it. Just let him know your concerns and I'm sure he can set your mind at rest. I'm sure he won't do the job if its going to be a problem and he'll have to come back. I don't know any professional who is willing to take that kind of risk. Who knows... maybe he has a portable windscreen that he uses for outdoor jobs.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived