LegacyGT.com

New brake discs

Grinchy

My front brakes were sticking so I decided that while I changed out the calipers I would go ahead and change the discs. After receiving the new ones that I ordered from Advance, they were quite a bit smaller. Being in the position that I was in, and not being able to reuse the old discs. I put them on to check fitment. The pads stick out probably 1/4 inch on the outside of the discs. I bled the brakes, got everything right, then test drove it on the country road. Car stopped like a champion, and everything seems fine. I'm a little worried though. I would have liked to just keep the old discs until I get a different set of new ones, but that couldn't be the case. My queston is, Will I damage anything using said new discs, and has anyone else ran into anything like this? I called Advance and double checked their records and they assure me that they are the right ones.

Thanks,

-Mike

Well, since this was not posted on April fool's day, I'm going to assume you've actually done this. It would appear that you've put discs on from a 2.5 or an outback onto a GT. This is not safe. Take the discs back and get your money back. It is possible that the discs were mis-marked on the box or that the parts monkey at Advance Auto did not select the GT (Turbo engine) legacy. Get the right discs. Get them installed. Don't cry poor when it comes to this, get it fixed. If you get into an accident and it's discovered that you did the brake work, guess who is going to be negligently at fault?

See that's what I thought. I kept asking him if they were correct, for a 2.5 turbo, and he kept assuring me that they were. I wish I would have been under better circumstances when I changed them, and I wouldn't have put them on at all. I haven't driven the car since, other than to get home. *work van* I think I'll order some from somewhere else, then change them and get my money back for them. One of my friends kept trying to tell me that it was ok as long as it was stopping ok, but I had my doubts.

Thanks for the reply Pirate.

See that's what I thought. I kept asking him if they were correct, for a 2.5 turbo, and he kept assuring me that they were. I wish I would have been under better circumstances when I changed them, and I wouldn't have put them on at all. I haven't driven the car since, other than to get home. *work van* I think I'll order some from somewhere else, then change them and get my money back for them. One of my friends kept trying to tell me that it was ok as long as it was stopping ok, but I had my doubts.

Thanks for the reply Pirate.

Please send us an e-mail to sales@azpinstalls.com we can get you the proper parts for your car. This is what happens when you end up buying local from kids who don't care and just push out whatever the computer tells them to sell.

We've been in this business for 12+ years and are enthusiasts. We strive to get it right for each and every customer. It may cost a few pennies more but it saves time and is safer in the end.

-mike

Hm, I wonder if they gave you rears. I don't know if they'd fit properly on the front, but they are quite a bit smaller than the fronts and would still "technically" be a correct part for the car.

I hope you get this resolved quickly though. FWIW, the vendors on this site have been great to me so far getting parts and offering suggestions. Also, Rockauto.com has been quite a resource when needed. They've got some good rotors as well, so long as you know what you're looking for.

Hm, I wonder if they gave you rears. I don't know if they'd fit properly on the front, but they are quite a bit smaller than the fronts and would still "technically" be a correct part for the car.

I hope you get this resolved quickly though. FWIW, the vendors on this site have been great to me so far getting parts and offering suggestions. Also, Rockauto.com has been quite a resource when needed. They've got some good rotors as well, so long as you know what you're looking for.

Archived