LegacyGT.com

SenSen Struts - an ongoing review.

harrumphicus

I'm the proud owner of a 2nd Gen Leggy SUS, for the last 2k+ miles of its life. I took a long bouncy trip from MN to CA about a month ago and so I began searching for a new suspension.

Was planning on getting some KYB GR-2's as they seem to be the most sporty OEM replacement (not to mention being among the only direct replacements) and dropping with some H&R springs. I ended up getting the springs, but opted to buy the SenSen struts as I had heard they were very comparable to KYB. A bit of research revealed some of the components of the strut are exact matches. Price difference is only 100 dollars, but from 300 to 200 on a tight budget is a pretty big deal.

I got the struts (and springs) put on Saturday, so I figured I'd start a kind of review/blog/thread on the struts in case anyone else is looking for a cheaper replacement.

Initial drive (so far only gone about 40 miles on them) feels excellent, though they might still need a bit of settling. I have never driven on KYB's (knowingly) so I can't compare directly, but they're definitely on the stiffer side. I'll be putting on my sway bars this weekend (hopefully) and possibly taking a little trip up to Riverside just for the heck of it so I'll post back then.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i've had a set of Sensen struts since oct 2012 on my outback,

You get what you pay for as with any part

For DD they are absolutely fine no big issues feel a bit stiffer then KYB actually, but the build quality is low.

On rear struts prepare to change lower shock eye bushings as original made from bubble gum. Not a big deal but another 20 bucks on poly bushings and three hours of work.

Couple weeks ago my wife hit a curb while pulling in parking lot and bend one of them, the hit was not really that bad and I am sure KYB's would not have bent.

Still bought another front set from sensen for the fronts.

So do they improve ride over the old worn out yes absolutely, they did not leak after 30k miles in NYC, but quality is not the best. Still would recommend over 10 year old stock suspension.

• 1 year later...
i've had a set of Sensen struts since oct 2012 on my outback,

You get what you pay for as with any part

For DD they are absolutely fine no big issues feel a bit stiffer then KYB actually, but the build quality is low.

On rear struts prepare to change lower shock eye bushings as original made from bubble gum. Not a big deal but another 20 bucks on poly bushings and three hours of work.

Couple weeks ago my wife hit a curb while pulling in parking lot and bend one of them, the hit was not really that bad and I am sure KYB's would not have bent.

Still bought another front set from sensen for the fronts.

So do they improve ride over the old worn out yes absolutely, they did not leak after 30k miles in NYC, but quality is not the best. Still would recommend over 10 year old stock suspension.

Where did you find the bushings? I need some for the less than 10k sensen rear struts on my 02.

Archived