LegacyGT.com

Outside Temperature Alarm?

On my way to work this morning I hear the Legacy chime all of a sudden so I look down at the dash and the SI-Drive graph I normally have on the gauge cluster display is displaying "Outside temp. 37" in a big font. Then a few seconds later it reverts back to the SI-Drive graph again. Anyone know why my Subaru all of a sudden decided I needed to know how cold it was out? Very weird...

Wouldn't it also make sense if the same multifunctional display didn't show the exact same thing as the red door open warning light between the turn singal indicators. Or the STUPID Auto HVAC system that requires you to turn both knobs to make the temps the same? :mad:

Subaru thinking ahead as usual! But the turbo is so much fun! :)

^ for the same reason as rao stated.

Hey I have an 05. will I get the same thing?

:hide:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Water doesn't freeze until zero degrees though :confused:

Wow....water freezes at 32 degrees fahrenheit dude.

My 1993 BMW used to give me a nice little chime at 37 degrees as well, i guess they figure thats the highest temp it can be for the roads to start getting icy.

37 degrees F is Subaru's arbitrarily designated warning point of when road ice could occur. Keep in mind that bridges and similarly exposed structures are often colder than ambient temperatures due to the temperature loss associated with having multiple surfaces exposed to the cold, as opposed being moderated by ground contact. My guess is that Subaru wanted that margin of safety for such circumstances.

BTW, I'm befuddled by the "degree" of ignorance displayed by my fellow Americans in this thread. The U.S. and two other countries (Liberia and Myanmar) are the only ones that don't use the metric system. 32 degrees F = 0 degrees C = freezing temperature of water. 212 degrees F = 100 degrees C = boiling point of water at 1 atm (roughly sea level). Basic 6th grade science. Sheesh! :(

Wow....water freezes at 32 degrees fahrenheit dude.

My 1993 BMW used to give me a nice little chime at 37 degrees as well, i guess they figure thats the highest temp it can be for the roads to start getting icy.

Look at his location. Not everyone uses Fahrenheit to measure temperature.

Geeez... sorry I didn't know the units of measure used in Myanmar and Liberia. I guess I can't joke without it being 100% correct.

No worries. My comment wasn't direct at you. Your early post clearly indicates that you're aware that the U.S. anachronistically clings to the Fahrenheit system. Anyone who has ever traveled out of the U.S. realizes what a bubble we live in. :lol:

Archived