LegacyGT.com

Please HELP - 2005 Outback XT Rear Wiper Not Working

I tried replacing the motor a while back because the rear wiper had quit working. Of course, the new motor did not solve the problem. I had given up on fixing it for a while mainly due to having other things going on. Anyway I am back it. My wife wants it fixed for winter. :)

Here's where I am at. Like I said, I tried a brand new motor with no luck. I have the steering column torn apart along with the lower dash panels on the driver side. I can hear the relay keep clicking when the rear wiper is on intermittent mode. I am not 100% sure where the relay is for the rear wiper but it sounds like it is coming from inside a black rectangular box that in one corner says "ABS". There are a bunch of wire harnesses going to this box. I don't know if the ABS is for the plastic or because it is for the ABS brakes.

At any rate, I am perplexed. The relay is clicking. Could it still be bad even though it is clicking? Does anyone know with certainty where the relay is located if I need to test it? Is there a common location the wire(s) can get worn or broken? I tested for power to the rear and it is either not there or VERY weak. Would very weak power be a sign of a bad relay?

Thanks for any help!

Never mind... I found the problem. I found two wires from the interior of the car going to the hatch that were completely broken. One was on the left side and one on the right. By chance, I found a post on here were someone mentioned it was common for the wires going into the hatch to break. They were such a clean break, it looked like they were cut. My wife did have the rear wiper blade replaced at the local Subaru dealer. You don't think they would have... I hate to even suggest it, but there are few dealerships I trust.

Anyway, I am happy it's fixed. I'm sure my wife will be even happier. I also got the remote start fixed (just had to re-solder a couple wires my dad had accidentally pulled off a switch), so all in all it was a good night.

• 1 month later...
Never mind... I found the problem. I found two wires from the interior of the car going to the hatch that were completely broken. One was on the left side and one on the right. By chance, I found a post on here were someone mentioned it was common for the wires going into the hatch to break.

Hey, I've got the same issue. Where should I look for the broken wires?

• 10 months later...
Me too! Where were the wires? My rear wiper fluid works, but the wiper does not.

I'd love some help!

Sorry, it's been a while since I've been on here. The wires are located inside a black rubber grommet/cover that runs from the car to the hatch. You will see it if you open the hatch all the way. If I recall correctly it was on the passenger side where the wires for the wiper run. I believe there is a rubber cover on both sides. You just pop the ends off from the metal and you'll see the wires. You have to push it back kind of hard to see the wires. Good luck!

Archived