LegacyGT.com

advice appreciated in 4th gen LGT ltd search

GrendelGT

I have found parts of these answers in the forums but I was hoping some 4th gen owners could help me out with complete answers. If there is a thread I didn't find please post a link in addition to calling me an idiot, in depth searching gets tedious on a smartphone...

My situation: not a lot of cash on hand or time right now. My car runs, but is deteriorating. I drive around 11k miles a year, mostly babying the car but I like to have my fun. I work about 58 hours a week so serious projects are out but I can save up a down payment in a couple months. Also, I hate the tan leather interior. I'm only planning on a stage 2ish build.

My big questions:

Is there a significant non-cosmetic difference with 08-09 other than a catless up pipe?

Is a search for the 1 owner low mileage unicorn worth it?

Or

Is picking up a car in excellent cosmetic condition but mediocre mechanical condition priced accordingly worth it?

Is a new STi enough better to be worth waiting 9 months until my next promotion and being cash strapped for a couple years?

Opinions, insults, and smartass comments welcome :lol:

After some searching online I came across a silver with black leather 05 GT ltd at 83k in good shape (according to the dealership) that is actually within driving distance. Asking 12,000. The last car I looked at was a black on black 06 GT ltd with 62k in excellent shape, new tires & brakes, asking 17,500. The bank would only loan me 13,000 on that and I can't scrape that together.

Let me give you some pointer to add to your list of criteria. You are looking for a older iteration of the 4th gen so there are different things you should be concerned about and look out for. If you want one on the older side (05/06) make sure the powertrain is in good shape (turbo shaft play, compression, clutch assembly is in good working order, gearbox isn't grinding, the basic factory maintenances have been performed) The body is a bonus but typically they will be in good shape across all mileages.

I would look for a clean record lower mileage LGT in as good mechanical shape as you find within your budget, desires etc search. The CarFax isn't going to tell you if the the Pressure Plate is bad (as in my case :lol:) but youll get an idea if it has been maintained well.

I bought a 2009 LGT 1 owner 81K miles for $15.5K spotless inside and out, drivetrain untouched, all oil changes done ahead of factory OCI but it has a failing Pressure Plate. I cant be too picky the car is my exact dream Black on Black no wing, no mods, no pets, kids, smokers and from a warm climate (no salt).

Cosmetic wise the 05-07 has slightly longer bumpers front and rear than the 08-09 and a different grille, different fog lights and reflectors in the rear bumper. Non cosmetic the 05-06 has a VF40 turbo, no air assist pump, SI drive, dual mass fly wheel, non of the general improves made model year over year that the 08-09 has and possibly the 07.

Wheel bearings seem to fail more frequently with the earlier 4th gens, as well as oil pickup tubes. Generally the first of something has bugs and deficiencies that the later version will have resolved.

Other than that if you do find a earlier 4th gen that needs a little work once that is completed youll have a solid ride.

As for an STi I would never buy one new for nearly $40K I probably wouldn't buy a used one as they still go for upper $20K's mid $30K's. Yes the EJ257 is a stout engine but I enjoy driving the WRX more that the STi (not so harsh a ride and the 5MT doesnt need as much shifting for daily usage) Now I would love to have one for the shear thrill factor but after a while its just a car :redface: A car that costs more to drive than most other cars in that price range.

Is a new STi enough better to be worth waiting 9 months until my next promotion and being cash strapped for couple years.

It's not sound financial planning to buy a car that you will leave you cash strapped for years. If you wanted a new car, I would recommend a WRX over STi if the STi is going to leave you cash strapped.

I don't know if your curren car has a car payment but if its payed off you always save 500/month for the next 9 months for down payment to reduce your car payment further (or keep some of it for as reserve fund if you don't currently have one)

My two cents...be patient and save some cash and be prepared with financing and all for when the right car comes along. I almost messed up buying a car a few states away. Thank goodness the salesman dragged his feet, I ended up finding my LGT ten miles away with less miles and the same price, color, and options.

Patience grasshopper! I would also recommend the wrx it has more aftermarket support than any other subie and as long as you keep the exterior mods civil you shouldn't have ricers in civics trying to race you at every light. Or draw the attention of the cops for that matter.

About the cops... I work in a wealthy uppity town and I have a grey gen3 eclipse with a stock body. Driving home from work at 3am I get followed by just about every cop I see. Even a new 5 door STi wouldn't draw attention like that! I like the wrx, but the STi is my dream car and I wouldn't be able to stick with the wrx for ten years. The LGT is a car that could see future duty as the daily driver, especially if my wife really likes it. I have an investment that matures in late 2015, so being a little strapped for cash until then isn't the worst thing. From what I understand, searching for the low mileage 1 owner southern unicorn is really worth it. Prior to purchase, a compression and leak down test is essential. The turbo and up pipe should be inspected, especially in 05-07. Condition of the oil should be a concern as well. Tire and brake wear can tell a lot about the vehicle, that I know how to check. I was a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic for a couple years, but that knowledge doesn't translate directly to an import....

This is a difficult choice! Thanks for the input, it is very much appreciated.

If your heart is not in the wrx then you are right to avoid it, but then again the newer wrx is built on the 4th gen legacy platform...but the 4th gen is also the nicest looking legacy to date. Finding one with low miles and a clean history should be relatively easy even in the south, they pop up pretty regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

After going through pages of threads (great info in the high mileage threads!) I have come to a few conclusions and have more questions. I will be looking for a 2009 deep bronze metallic GT limited with a black leather interior. I'll also look for an 08 and blue or black exterior as backup. I expect to have 3-6 months for the search, so I'm okay with hunting a unicorn for a while. I work second and third shift so the slightly lower maintenance needs of the later years suits me better. It's hard to work on a car at 3am in January in Wisconsin... I will probably work with a dealer to find me a southern car at auction.

I prefer the longer, sleeker looking front and rear bumpers of the 05 and 06. Can they be fitted right to an 09? Also, do the black housings of the 05 fit?

If memory serves me right, Subaru changed the engines and power ratings on the WRX for the new 08 body style. Did the Legacy receive those same updates and get detuned or did the engine and accessories stay the same? Or am I completely wrong?

I will be looking for a 2009 deep bronze metallic GT limited with a black leather interior. I'll also look for an 08 and blue or black exterior as backup. I expect to have 3-6 months for the search, so I'm okay with hunting a unicorn for a while.

According to the 2009 Legacy brochure, deep bronze was not available for LGT or spec.b trims levels.

I found a car in Rhode Island that looks to be a good candidate. 2009 LGT with 64k miles for $18,000. Diamond grey with black interior, my ideal color scheme. It is a 1 owner with excellent maintenance records on the Carfax. There is just 1 issue that has me very concerned. The short block was replaced at 55k under warranty for "engine noise." Is that indicative of anything other than abuse? I'm worried that a compression and leakdown test won't show anything with a short block that new. Any thoughts? Anybody in the area feel like taking it for a spin?

http://www.balisesubaru.com/used/Subaru/2009-Subaru-Legacy-ed66e1290a0a000202ac4503cd032338.htm

If you plan on doing any type of racing go for a sti. If not the lgt makes a great dd and a stage 2 lgt is comparable in straight Line acceleration. The way I see it that motor has 11k miles on it either way you spin it that's a good thing. If compression and leak down test check out that's a good car. Obviously try to knock the salesman down a little in price.

Compression and leakdown will tell you the overall condition of the entire combustion chamber including pistons and rings. It wont tell you if it has a bad rod bearing. That is why being able to see the car in person is important. You truly will only trust your own judgement. Being that a subie dealer us selling it I would consider that a plus on its own. Check out other areas of the car like pedals and shifter play and see if they are abmormally worn or sloppy. The engine relaced undr warranty on its own isnt much of an indicator of abuse these engines have been known to fail prematurely no manufacturer is perfect hence the warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1. Is there a significant non-cosmetic difference with 08-09 other than a catless up pipe?

2. Is a search for the 1 owner low mileage unicorn worth it?

Or

Is picking up a car in excellent cosmetic condition but mediocre mechanical condition priced accordingly worth it?

3. Is a new STi enough better to be worth waiting 9 months until my next promotion and being cash strapped for a couple years?

Opinions, insults, and smartass comments welcome :lol:

1. 09 Limited has the Harmon Kardon Stereo. Its not bad at best, though i hear swapping out the subwoofer can be a nice improvement. Also these LGT head units can not just be swapped out like most cars because its circuit board is integrated with the HVAC controls.. This would be a big factor for me searching for an 09 over an 08.

Wasn't 08 the year that started the fold down rear seat? Also a big reason I would avoid the earlier years.

2. I would not overly stress it. You could find one with 2 owners in the 60k mile range that was well taken care of. I had a highly modified WRX with bigger turbo etc, and it was at 150k miles when it started to show signs of head gasket issues. Otherwise the previous owner and I were diligent in taking care of it, and not beating on it like idiots..

3. No. The new STi has "torque Vectoring" and new interior.. that appears to be it. Otherwise the same STi. If you really want an STi, I would wait until summer and see what deals you can get on the leftovers.

If your looking at the LGT, the WRX will probably be a more pleasant ride, similar, but better power, and better mpg. Hopefully the new interior is on par with the legacy. If there is a hatch in a year or two, I will own one.

My suggestion. Dont buy a WRX/LGT/STi. Don't be cash strapped for a couple years. Going from a WRX to an Legacy 2.5i reduced the fun in my life 10%. The extra cash, free time, and less stressed increase my fun in life 50%...

Get a 2.5i 5-speed. Its a little better on gas and uses regular. Also insurance is dirt cheap. Get ahead in life financially first. Maybe spend a few hundred dollars on springs and sway bars.

as someone who had to make a choice between a custom ordered 04 STi or a custom ordered LGT wagon, be sure you know what you really want to do with the car. For 6 years, my wagon was the perfect choice. Then it wasn't. Turning the wagon into a STi cost as much as buying a used STi.

If you don't have cash to buy a LGT now and afford the repairs that might be needed, especially buying an 05 LGT, buy something else. Really. An 05 LGT in good shape will run for a good while before needing maintenance provided you don't flog it, however, you're not going to get it for $8k either.

An adult owner, well-cared for STi is likely a rarer beast. Those cars were made to flog and most were.

If you are dead set on buying an 05 LGT, widen your search parameters. Many of the color/body combos only had 100 built. So you are looking for a rare car. If you add in the requirement of unmolested, you have narrowed the options even more so. Expect to pay more for such a car.

All that said, there is a 05 LGT 5mt wagon for sale that claims good history - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/red-2005-subaru-legacy-gt-wagon-manual-219912.html

As far as the STi goes, I would only buy new. The way they hold value it isn't much of a risk, and I would own that car for 10+ years. Unfortunately, that depends on the VA coming through with disability, and I won't find that out until sometime around August.

Thanks for the input Boxkita, I appreciate it. I started out leaning towards the 05 and 06 but digging through the wealth of info on this forum has set me on getting an 09 (possibly an 08) as they have fewer major issues and less maintenance. Fold down seats are a real plus too, as are the low mileage examples. In addition, I will be able to finance the newer car over a longer period of time with less money down. That will leave me with a repair fund and, oddly enough, lower monthly payments. I'm expecting a big raise in march and if that doesn't come through I'll go look for a better paying job. Also, sometime late summer the VA should be righting the wrongs the Army did to me, and that will really help my budget crunch. And if things just don't want to work out, I have a substantial investment that matures in November of 2015. I have a dealer hunting nationwide auto auctions for me and I will have him search for a spec.B until my eclipse dies. If nothing turns up I will borrow my dads crappy old truck and have the dealer get me a LGT.

I'd rather buy a car now that I will have and enjoy for the next 8 years. Kind of like buying a Snapon wrench set instead of harbor freight. Besides, a budget crunch really only means we don't get to go out on dates or shopping every weekend, and I'd rather watch a movie on the couch or play Xbox anyways! :lol:

Archived