LegacyGT.com

Borla header replica install

I know some of you have done it before, but how the hell does that header go on ? I tried to put it on tonight and it seems that on the driver's side it hits the motormount, and if you try to slide it from either the front or back of the engine the studs are way too long for it to go touch the heads without hitting the motormounts.

I had a set of ebay headers and they took me 2 hours and a huge headache to put on they ended up cracking over the winter. the second time i sprung for the borla's fit up in 5 mis direct bolt on. power wise i have no power until like 3000 but screams at 5000-6000. i went with an impreza stromung mid pipe with high flow cat. what are you running for mid pipe.

it really all depends on your type of driving. but with a full exhaust you need to run your car to redline if you need to get from a dead stop. the car runs great on the highway above 65. if you haven't got it yet get a light weight crank pulley helped with low end power. you shouldn't regret the headers.

mah, i will just take it off, i am better off with the stock ones. the down low torque was prety awesome on the 4eat . All the rattling underneath the carriage is driving me nuts

i hated the rattling underneath did u reuse the cat back bolts with the springs that was some of the rattle.

the car had the perrin light weight crank pulley and that made a world of difference after the install. My car does not have the springs between the headers and the converter. However i think there might be a leak in the exhaust somewhere, but the vibration and the rattling of the header are driving me nuts.

i have a set of borla headers on my 97 lgt and a straight pipe back to a borla muffler....and i love it

i havent had any problems with it at all and it deff made a difference....

but does anybody know how much hp the headers give?

• 2 weeks later...
watch out on any 05-07 with these headers it caused me to replace my steering rack the headers rub on the return line under acceleration and wore a hole right through. if you are running these bend them down or something add a bracket.

watch out on any 05-07 with these headers it caused me to replace my steering rack the headers rub on the return line under acceleration and wore a hole right through. if you are running these bend them down or something add a bracket.

Damn :mad: I haven't put my headers on yet but now I'm really thinking twice... I want the rumble but not sure if this is worth it all. :spin:

They're worth it.

Mount them, see if it touches - check the link to my other posts above, has pics.

If it touches, take it to an exhaust shop and they can heat the headers and bend them for you.

To each their own, definitely... If you don't like them, for sure take 'em off.

You should be checking the clearance at the very least.

I could hear the metal on metal contact right away and knew there was a fitment issue and addressed it as soon as I could. Once I had the header tube bent to where it cleared, there were no more rattles etc and the car certainly has more power, particularly up top. I have Magnaflow mufflers which flow well plus a custom y-pipe.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37528&d=1179987882

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37527&d=1179987882

They're worth it.

Mount them, see if it touches - check the link to my other posts above, has pics.

If it touches, take it to an exhaust shop and they can heat the headers and bend them for you.

Unfortunately, they're in the process of getting ceramic coated so bending/denting them to clear might be a bit tough :( I hope I get lucky and it clears alright but I doubt it. We'll see what happens.

Nice touch on getting them coated...

So, if thats the case and they touch, you'll just have to work on moving the power steering line some. Its not too bad - loosen off the factory brackets and there's some room for movement right there. If it needs more, you may need to get a bit more creative.

Nice touch on getting them coated...

So, if thats the case and they touch, you'll just have to work on moving the power steering line some. Its not too bad - loosen off the factory brackets and there's some room for movement right there. If it needs more, you may need to get a bit more creative.

Thanks, will keep that in mind. I remember someone else got a muffler shop to actually move the line. Hope the place I go to knows how to do that.

i got mine installed and there was no problem at all except i had to put a shorter oil filter on...

but i have a BD legacy most of you guys have the newer legys so idk

Yup :) All this trouble talk almost makes me want to go out and buy myself a used RS :wub: It should go onto one of those no problemo!

• 2 weeks later...
To each their own, definitely... If you don't like them, for sure take 'em off.

You should be checking the clearance at the very least.

I could hear the metal on metal contact right away and knew there was a fitment issue and addressed it as soon as I could. Once I had the header tube bent to where it cleared, there were no more rattles etc and the car certainly has more power, particularly up top. I have Magnaflow mufflers which flow well plus a custom y-pipe.

they were alright clearance wise before i had to put the cat bolts back. after that they started touching the return line of the steering rack I have a pipe bender at home (16 ton) and i will try to bend andreinstall them. I had about 1" off where the header bolts meet the cat.

Archived