LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy STi Coupe!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe that's a very nicely done photochop. Certainly doesn't follow Subaru styling. It's got a bit of a ferrari style to it in the back. The wheels are directly copied from a Porsche Carrera GT. The center caps gives it away. Given all that, I have to say I like the concept. If this was ever made, it would be one hot looking coupe for sure. I'd like to see what the front looks like though. :)

http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/coupe3/SUBARU-LEGACY.jpg

discuss.

Derivative, but very nice. Great looking photochop, and a really good place to start.

I like the profile of the Aston roofline on that car, and the high-beltline look. However, I can't see Subie copying it that closely.

The upward sweep of the quarter windows matches the upsweep of the bodyline into the trunk. Nice effect.

The tail is a little blank. I like the diffuser section of the rear bumper, but I've never been sold on the big exhaust pockets. it makes even decent sized tips look small. Plus it is clearly an RX8 trait.

The removal of the license plate pocket in the trunk lid leaves a big flat surface on the back. plus the detail line in the middle doesn't match the slight arch to the upper rear edge.

I would put the license plate pocket in the rear bumper, but I'd have to figure out something to spice up the back surface of the hatch (it should be a fastback hatch), like incorporating tail light elements (like BMW E46 coupe) more on that later...

The front end looks ok, but can't see much other than there being no wrapped-around indicators. I'd like to see a further stylized version of the legacy headlights. Perhaps shorter bottom to top, with two projectors and a squintier "dirty harry" expression. Along with a four sided grille, rather than the sedan/wagon's six-sided one. Something like a smaller, inverted (tapering downward) version of the new forester's grill.

This goes to show how closely Subaru aped the look of the Carrera's wheels for the GT. I'd love it if Subaru started using some neutral or positive offset wheels. the lip on those CGT wheels (probably both rear wheels chopped on, no centerlock nut shown. should be red or blue, depending on which side of the car it is on.)

Probably not much chance of that, though, with AWD, since the front axles and uprights require the negative offset, which holds over for the rear wheels to be the same.

I'd do someething further with the tail lights just to differentiate it from the sedan a tad bit. Maybe the age-old trick of extending them to the trunk lid.

Or shorten and reshape the tail lights in the rear fenders, and put the wagon's reverse lights in the trunk lid... something to switch it up a bit.

As for it fitting Subaru's design language. It definitely doesn't, but that isn't all bad. A coupe would be a great way to stretch and sophisticate their designs... But not a flat copy of other designer's work. that is too easy and too derivative in the steel.

I have mentioned in the past thinking that Subaru should update the SVX to the new Legacy Platform, and go with a pseudo-coupe, with two coupe doors, and two rear half doors, similar to the RX8. They could use fold-to-floor rear seats, that create a flat load floor all the way to the front seat backs. The Mercury MC4 and Pontiac Rageous, and more recently the Jaguar R-D6 concept car (R-Coupe is sleeker, tho) have shown that theme. Very Subie-practical, and very sporty. A logical place for subaru to go.

I'd integrate the upper-door-cut-line with the upswept quarterwindow theme, possibly with the glass covering over the window frame, to avoid the thick-pillar-and-frame look of the RX8. Also a longer fastback rear glass than the RX8, as well.

Heck, even the door cut line is still there, from the residual sedan the chop originated from. Extend the wheelbase a tad, or shorten the forward door a bit, or a tad bit of both, extend the rear quarter glass and reshape it a bit, and you have yourself a rearward opening half-door.

I'd also incorporate some sort of glass roof, either double-paned with an opening front pane (like Mini and Tc) or a slatted glass roof (like G6) or even just a stationary safety-glass panel. Something to continue the glass from the foot of the windsheild all the way to the back of the rear hatch glass, and emphasize the buttress roof rails.

Pair that with a twin turbo 3.0 H6, 6MT (from 3.0R Spec B overseas) with VTD, Rear LSD, Bilstein suspension, and Brembo brakes. A healthy 400hp, and commensurate handling and brakes.

A true GT coupe for the rest of us who can't afford an Aston DB9. Classy and aggressive styling, practicality and performance for every day, and a night on the town. Possibly designed by Guigiaro, but hopefully less sensitive to the passage of time than the 90's SVX, and certainly better than the 80's XT wedge. There is a startling lack of classically-designed cars these days. So many cars will look dated in 5-10 years. So many 10 year old cars look dated now.

It would destroy the RX8, G35c, new IS coupe and sedan (rumored), and the BMW 3 series, and pretty much everything less a corvette, and much more practical than that, to boot. All for decent money. They could do it for ~32-36k. I'd save and trade-in for that, as long as the rear seats are hospitable for adults for a trip into the city.

A smaller, more focused, light, sleek 2-door coupe could come from the Impreza line. lowered as an import tuner car, but raised a bit for a rally-stage strafer. A more stylish resurrection of the GC8 2.5RS coupe, with 2.5RS, WRX 2.5T, and WRX STi 2.5T drivetrains. (Rally-spec 2.0 Twin-scroll for home market homologation for rally use along side the WRX STi sedan.)

Just my humble opinions. But they sure sound nice to me.

Archived