LegacyGT.com

p0335 + p0340 + p0345 codes with a non-start situation

hey guys, had another issue that wasn't clearly documented.

so, driving to gas station, no issues. got gas and tried to start car.

no clicking of starter, and 3 engine codes popped up immediately.

reset ecu, checked all fuses, no funky business. still no start.

got the car towed home, and the tow driver helped me trouble shoot the problem. tested my optima battery, tested my starter, tested my alternator... all good.

after towing home... the car started! was really weird. very slow start. took longer to turn over on its own. but it did start. that is when we tested the 3 electrical components. it worked several times and i hit the sack thinking it was self corrected.

so the next morning, car didn't start up again. talking to my friend... he mentioned try tapping the starter and bam! the car started.

moral of the story, if you have these engine codes and no clicking or starter noises, it is most likely your starter solenoid going bad. sometimes it started, and the rest, i have been getting by by hitting my starter with a wood stick.

i wanted to document this for others to try...

20150929_221207.thumb.jpg.8ae5228e3bf3c7a0321d2cf9609c610e.jpg

20150929_224838.thumb.jpg.0344bb13564cafdb270d9bd5bc532572.jpg

20150929_224855.thumb.jpg.ab144c2dd2291b805fcdb2e718bfc1ae.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thanks, had this exact issue, the same 3 CELs and all. Same behavior. Sometimes tapping helped and other times just waiting. I changed my started today. Hope that is it. Thanks.

Seriously many others have written about this, but your post helped the most.

• 1 year later...

My car threw all 3 of these Codes on Friday. Drove home just fine with no issues but when I went to leave an hour later the car wouldn't turn over. No starter clicks or anything. Ran the codes and pulled the same 3, so I cleared the codes and reset the ECU and nothing. Popped the hood and pulled the battery + terminal which had some corrosion build up. Cleaned it off good on both terminals and reattached.

My wife dropped me off at work but when I came home after work I tried to start it up and it fired right up. Started it up a few times yesterday and let it run to operating temps and no issues. Today I'll try to drive it and see if it'll run find and won't keep me stranded somewhere.

Thanks for the information in this post!!

• 3 months later...

I just had the exact same issue! I figured for sure it was the crank position sensor, because the car started after I poked the connection and then it started, but that was a red herring.

I had the same three codes, but I started (heh) to suspect the starter after thwaking it with a mag-light got it to spin again. Fortunately I found this post, and $100 later I'm back up and running.

In my case, it seemed to be heat related - the car started fine cold, but after a drive with the A/C on, wouldn't restart. I'm ok with 216,xxx miles out of the original starter however :-D

• 5 months later...

OP thanks for the helpful post.

I had the exact same experience a few days ago after work. Same three P0xxx codes and everything. It wouldn't start on it's own, but it bump started just fine.

My car stalls like crazy for a few days after an ECU reset (thanks elusive misfires), so driving home in rush hour traffic while trying to keep the RPMs high enough to not stall was the most sphincter clenching drive of my life. I'll remember it 'til the day I die.

It started (just slowly like you described) in my driveway later that night, but then wouldn't start the next morning.

Archived