LegacyGT.com

Heavier Steering Feel?

Pricci09

The legacys steering is way to light for my tastes.

Im looking to tighten up the steering, and add a nice heavier feel to it.

I know sways will help when the roads get curvy, but im looking to change the basic feel of the car when driving around town etc.

What modifications could help me accomplish this?

thanks!

Yeah, the sways tightens up things even during normal daily driving. RSB will give it a better balance, but for inital turn in, I noticed even bigger effect with the FSB upgrade.

Changing steering shaft mounts to poly ones tightened things up a bit as well, and it's pretty inexpensive, expecially if you do it yourself.

But neither of the two above will make the steering heavier. I think the biggest upgrade is the LCA bushings. Get the caster adjusting ones, and the steering will be heavier with a much better on-center feel.

The legacys steering is way to light for my tastes.

Im looking to tighten up the steering, and add a nice heavier feel to it.

I know sways will help when the roads get curvy, but im looking to change the basic feel of the car when driving around town etc.

What modifications could help me accomplish this?

thanks!

weird. i thought it already was on the heavy side...

you buy this used recently?

what tires are on?

Offset LCA bushings to add caster- will give a more planted feel. Sways will help. I also installed Whiteline Roll Center Kit (ball joints and tie rod ends) at the same time which may have also contributed to the heavier feel. The car feels well planted and very responsive. It will also track down the freeway in a straight line for long distances without having to move the wheel.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1796/AVO-Caster-Adjustment-Bushing/Detail

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1472/Whiteline-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

Good Luck

underdrive the power steering pump?

I think the assist is engine speed dependent - it decreases with higher RPM. This is a cheap way of making it almost road speed dependent.

If so, you'd want to overdrive the pump.

At any rate, either LCA bushings, or camber/caster-adjustable upper mounts (top hats).

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 3 months later...

Archived