LegacyGT.com

Lack of oil = problems HELP

I have a 2005 lgt with roughly 90k on it. I went stage 2 and ran a standard Cobb map for about a week. My brother was driving it on the freeway one day doing 65 (not pushing it) and heard some bad noise. I wasn't there, just woke up to the phone call:mad:.

It was clear at that point the turbo was trashed- took it out yup. That was replaced and a new turbo was installed. We started tried starting it up and it sounded terrible.

Moving right along- I have bad scratches in the journals in the heads and on the cams. The block is seized (in the process of splitting). As stated the turbo was all play and not shaft. The oil pan is off and I found what I think is a wrist pin

I'm really looking for some help with a diagnosis as I would like to avoid this in the future. All signs point to lack of oil pressure- unless I maybe missed something?

Going back into my car will be a completely rebuilt ej257 short block, heads to be acquired yet?(just found out today machining will cost me about the same as just picking up new ones), and the newer vf46? Turbo.

I'll post my findings when I get the block split. This has just been a long emotional and financial blow. I'm just trying to get up and running proper again with some piece of mind.

Any help as to what could have gone wrong or head ideas or any useful insight would be massively appreciated.

NOTES

-oil light never came on

-after taking apart the oil pump nothing looks weird there

-oil pick up looks fine

-the proper amount of oil drained out of the motor right before we pulled it

:spin::spin::spin:

Damn! Sucks to hear.

A whole thread full of these stories....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/anyone-oem-blown-turbo-please-post-83047.html

How often did you change your oil?

Not that this is a determining factor though as some have had this issue with regular and short OCI while others are able to go with longer OCI's.

Did you ever have the screen in the banjo bolt checked or cleaned?

Here's an article about that last question...

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

I'm sure others will chime in with what you should do on the new engine. The popular solution is to remove the screen from the banjo bolt and get an inline filter on the turbo oil line that is easily accessible. Check it often and change your oil regularly.

Best of luck with the new engine and turbo!

Cheers!

From what you describe is either the turbo banjo oil feed was clogged, causing turbo bearing failure, or debris in the oil (I.E. OCI probably too long). The oil press light comes on at ~ 2psi. extremely low, still, failure can occur without the light coming on. Recommended oil change interval for these cars is 3000-3500 miles.

Recommended oil change interval for these cars is 3000-3500 miles.

You mean I should have done more than 4 oil changes in the past 46k miles?

Damn.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

OP is your crank scarred?

Any bearing damage?

Would it be cheaper to buy a new motor?

Your head should be fine. They aren't typically damaged in oil starvation situations. New but used block plus selling your old head might be easier.

Any bearing damage?

Your head should be fine. They aren't typically damaged in oil starvation situations. New but used block plus selling your old head might be easier.

Oh really? I have have heads to prove you wrong. Very wrong.

rob-2, don't worry about your banjo filter.... when your turbo blows and takes out the motor due to your oil change experiment it will be the nail in the coffin in convincing your wife that Subaru sucks and Honda is the way to go...

Thread #40 has one with debris in it here...

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/2005-forester-xt-blown-turbo-77989/index3.html

TSB# 02-106-08R and 02-103-07

I too had a set of heads from a oil starved engine.......the journals were pretty bad........now I have a set from an engine that cracked a ringland.......no signs of wear in the journals at all.

Case and point. I agree with BMX for the first time ever! Woohoo!

[

Any bearing damage?

The block is not split yet. I already have a rebuilt sti short block. The heads aren't fine. I have those off and have taken them to a local performance shop that rebuilt heads from my Rs. Considering the cams ride on a flow of oil in the journals I'd think oil starvation would be the perfect way to damage both my journals and cams.

It has 2.0L heads if I remember correctly......sure it will work. Guys do 2.5 blocks with 2.0L heads all the time.....not sure if it has AVCS though. Tuning will definitely be required. What are they asking for the heads?

EDIT: Yep 2.0

[

The block is not split yet. I already have a rebuilt sti short block. The heads aren't fine. I have those off and have taken them to a local performance shop that rebuilt heads from my Rs. Considering the cams ride on a flow of oil in the journals I'd think oil starvation would be the perfect way to damage both my journals and cams.

Normally a piston or a crank bearing goes before the head. Once you have it all opened up you'll know the damage.

Best of luck.

The journals are scratched up. It doesn't really matter to me what is destroyed in my block since I have a replacement. My question is Why? I don't want to deal with this again if possible.

Is there some bad ass oil pump or something I can pick up? I got all new oil lines to the turbo already.

Archived