LegacyGT.com

Catalytic converter replacement or aftermarket?

Hi people,

I just built my full exhaust system. I made the mistake of throwing on a "high flow" cat that I had laying around. Now cel has come on (didn't check what code though and have since reset it) and exhaust really stinks. I think its the catalytic converter not being effective since it's a 3" high flow cat.

I am now hunting for either a stock catalytic converter or an aftermarket replacement that will work.

Does anyone know a cat that will perform as effectively as a stock cat?

Or what would be suitable? Which size, model, brand etc.

I am on a limited budget. (I haven't priced out a dealer part yet)

And I don't want to hack up my stock exhaust in case I need to put it back on for any reason.

At the moment I have a WTB thread for an oem cat here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wtb-stock-2-5i-catalytic-convertor-192290.html?t=192290

I really don't care about performance or loss of HP from not using a more restrictive/more effective cat.

You put a 3" exhaust on a N/A Legacy?

Put the stock exhaust back on.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

yea. I got a deal for a fms cbe for lgt. unless there's something aftermarket for 2.5i about the same price I would have gone that route.

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. I'm not aiming for HP or anything.. I mean I put UEL headers on the car.. so its purely for the rumble.

I already know the pros and cons.

I just want some input on whether there is a catalytic converter out there that will perform as well or almost as well as stock.

thanks

You put a 3" exhaust on a N/A Legacy?

Put the stock exhaust back on.

Right that's what I want to do. I'm just trying to see if anyone has experienced a functional aftermarket alternative.

Otherwise I will have to suck it up and go with an oem cat.

Thanks

You have an '06. Buy the Vag-com cable and delete the cat code. I mean, er, replace the cat with a functional one! ;)

He meant use the Vag-com cable to delete the code rather than replacing the cat...at least that's what I think...

This. Most people fix that problem with a software/ECU change rather than finding an "acceptable" catalytic converter. This should be cheap and easy!

This. Most people fix that problem with a software/ECU change rather than finding an "acceptable" catalytic converter. This should be cheap and easy!

So what is the software ecu change? An update or a complete new ecu? And what is the approx. cost? I have the same issues with my 05

It could also be as simple as moving the O2 Sensor back about 1/2". When I put my 2 1/2" exhaust with High Flow Cat on my 98, the shop did say the High Flows sometimes flow to quickly past the rear O2.....

I asked how that was fixed, and the answer: Move the O2 back 1/2" or so to account for the additional flow.

Archived