Stage 3 clutch poll. give me your opinion

charlie_sheen

stage 3 clutch options. vote!  

10 members have voted

1. 1. stage 3 clutch options. vote!

• clutchmasters fx300
    • exedy stage 2
    • spec stage 2+

poll: stage 3 car in need of new clutch (65k miles), will be paired with 06-07 flywheel.

options are;

clutchmasters fx300 approx. $695.00

exedy stage 2 approx. $570.00

spec stage 2+ - approx. $585.00

priced without flywheel.

clearly the prices vary, i have my mind set on the fx300, i just want to see if it REALLY is that much more prefered before i spend the extra $120.00

• Mega Users
poll: stage 3 car in need of new clutch (65k miles), will be paired with 06-07 flywheel.

options are;

clutchmasters fx300 approx. $695.00

exedy stage 2 approx. $570.00

spec stage 2+ - approx. $585.00

priced without flywheel.

clearly the prices vary, i have my mind set on the fx300, i just want to see if it REALLY is that much more prefered before i spend the extra $120.00

Fx300 is 885 shipped from ajw with a smfw

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I'll probably get the FX300 with my 18G.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Stock. LWFW's are terrible.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I know I am a smartass much of the time but I am indeed serious.

The exedy feels like a full race clutch imho when you compare it to the COMP and the COMP holds a lot more. The exedy engagement reminds me of an unsprung clutch. I was going to go FX300 but the price of the COMP was right and the performance of the Exedy was wrong for me.

I think the poll should include ACT, Spec, COMP and CM.

I hear ya, another thing I forgot to mention though was when I was coming up with these options to choose from was when I searched for the comp clutch it seemed as if I could only find it for the 07+ chassis.

Really the only reason exedy is one of the options is because they make the stock clutch, so why not soncider them...but after I heard how terrible stage 1&2 are I figured I could see if anyone was running the sstage 2+

Before I forget, what stage comp do you have, and how is pedal engagement/feel as compared to what we know about the fx300's?

Exedy make great clutches as long as you stick to OEM or their much more high end multiplate systems (like some drift circuit cars are running). Their stage 1 and stage 2 systems are a major improvement over oem in clamping force but without the requisite tq holding capacity and comfortable pedal feel. When I wrote the Exedy Stage1 review I was comparing it in my mind to my previeous UNSPRUNG 3 puck clutches that I used when dragracing Hondas. Compared to them it drove great. Compared to Spec, ACT, COMP or CM, no thanks. The Exedy TOB is inferior to OEM and vastly inferior to the beefy COMP unit too. I find my COMP 2300/stage3 to be very comfortable to drive. Stiffer pedal feel than stock but nothing like the Exedy Stage1 full-race-feel.

ACT = seems to be the go-to guy for those with money, I see no reason to go with ACT over COMP considering the price, performance and driveability of the COMP. I have not personally driven ACT (in a LGT, personally had a few ACT setups in Honda's) but I have ridden in ACT and have depressed the pedal and felt engagement in a LGT. Seems a little heavier pedal than COMP but not dissimilar.

Exedy = too stiff for the performance/poor TOB/not worth saving a few bucks

CM = very nice, softest pedal feel of aftermarket clutch. CM if you want your grandmother who knows how to drive stick to be able to cruise around in your staged LGT like its nothing in bumper to bumper traffic.

COMP = dollar for dollar insane value, great clamping power, a little more driveable/soft than ACT, no problem for the wife in bumper to bumper and considered a relief after the exedy.

SPEC = No personal experience. Mostly well reviewed.

COMP SCC 2300 / Stage 3

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-722/Competition-Clutch-Performance-Clutch/Detail

This segmented Kevlar material with a performance pressure plate will provide the ultimate in street and strip combinations. This assembly is suited for 150% increase in torque capacity. Provides quick but smooth engagement and extended life. 500 mile break-in REQUIRED with this set-up.

The 2300 Series kit includes a performance pressure plate, a high torque sprung disc with segmented Kevlar facings, all applicable bearings, and the appropriate alignment tool.

Includes:4140 forged steel flywheel

Rated to 500ftlbs aw/tq

Fits: 05-09 Legacy GT (5mt)

If you are not a nutter like me (which is most of the forum since I am planning for FPGreen + e85) save $100 and consider the COMP Stage 2

Street Series 2100 Clutch Kit / Stage 2

This assembly provides an estimated 80% increase in torque capacity and is properly suited for aggressive street use and moderate track use. The Carbon Kevlar material with its alloy backing matched to a performance pressure plate will provide smooth engagement and extended life. 500 mile break-in highly recommended with this set-up. 300 mile break-in REQUIRED with this set-up.

The 2100 Series kit includes a performance pressure plate, a high torque sprung disc with antiburst steel backed Carbon Kevlar facings, all applicable bearings, and the appropriate alignment tool.

Includes:4140 forged steel flywheel

Rated to 450ftlbs aw/tq

Fits 05-09 LGT (5mt)

Hope it helps! Don't forget the 5% off coupon code on LGT.com to drop the price of the 2100 even more if you buy from infamous.

wow thanks for the detailed post man. great info on those kits. i do like the contents of the stage 2 package.

since im making 345awhp/365awtq i think the 450 holding capacity should be enough. would you say that the 4140 fw that comes with the package is comparable to that of the 06-07 wrx flywheel for drivability's sake?

Don't combine it with a lw pully and at 350+tq you will be happy with the driveability. No matter what reducing FW weight will reduce launch power (not that you should be doing 5k clutch dumps) but it is certainly less dramatic at higher tq levels. At 425tq I could idle up a steep hill, off throttle, with a 13lb flywheel and lwpully but

I would still stall the car once in a great while without enough throttle in stop and go at stage 2 power with the exedy stage1 cluch/lwfw.

If you are not at the track every weekend I would get the COMP 2100/stage2 at your power level. 450wtq is a LOT of tq and you likely will not got near that without upgrading internals. If upgrading internals/going roated/etc, you could certainly afford the $100 difference in the 2100/stage2 kit and the 2300/stage3 kit.

i have no intentions of getting a lw pulley. or going rotated :lol: my main goal is for the clutch to not chatter during my 80 mile per day commute, hold my power when i want it to, and not be an olympic leg press. i think either the CC and the CM are good options, its just about whether i feel like spending the extra $100 or so.

does yours make alot of noise?

There is a tiny amount of "tinny" LWFW noise that I can hear with the windows down occasionally at full stop but it is very quiet, particularly compared to how my Exedy setup was. Anything but an OEM flywheel is going to do at least that (SM or DM).

There is no chatter. Engagement is smooth, firm and quick. Some chatter with Exedy when paired with a 13lb lwfw (which is just too damn light for these cars)

Mike you didn't think the Exedy stage 1 with the F1 13lb LWFW I had going on was a little juddery if you did not goose it a little and engage fast? Maybe that was just a terrible clutch with an inappropriate FW choice on my part:mad:

Pretty sure my Exedy Stage1/F1 LWFW is Mike's most loathed clutch setup.:lol:

It certainly redefined inconsistant 60' times to not before seen embarassing bounds.

I do not ever remember trying to use just the clutch with your Exedy. It was so friggin stiff. I had to push my back against the seat to hold position while pushing it to the fire wall. Literally was not heavy enough to push in the clutch without bracing myself.

So by the time I was "releasing" it, meaning I was sliding up the seat, I was dropping the throttle.

By far the worst clutch I had ever driven.

Archived