LegacyGT.com

How many miles are on your 2nd gen Legacy?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2095203548.html - Speaking of high mileage, hears an Outback from around where I live.

987687, in that mileage range (I'm closed to it too) it seems like a lot of things start to go wrong with cars but once you get passed it and get those things repaired you are good to go! But that is why most people ditch their cars around 100k.

I bought it with 87k miles 2 years ago. In this time I've done front axles, my water pump seized (92k miles....) and ate the timing stuff, clutch, wheel bearing, brakes all around, so much other crap. I've done the vast majority of that myself, so it didn't cost TO much, but still. It's been a lot of work in the past 30k miles.

Part of me is sick of the car and wants to dump it, and part of me says that I'll just have all the same problems again, and I don't feel like fixing them all again with a different car. I hate working on EJ subys... And I don't want an EA as my main commuter. It needs tires now, one actually fell apart it was so old... I'll probably keep it, it's been a decent little car overall.

I put it for sale, someone came to look at it, and the notion of it going away made me too sad. haha. It's my first car and I (probably unfortunately) have this weird sentimental attachment to the thing.

Yeah that is how I felt with my car. It went into the shop for something minor not to long ago and then they told me that the timing belt needs to be done, the head gaskets will blow eventually, my tranny was nearing the end, my valve cover gaskets are leaking, the oil pump is leaking and my struts up front are shot and I needed new tires. After hearing all that I was ready for someone to come along and total the car honestly.. I was so irritated.

So what did I do about it? I got new tires, did the timing belt, put a low mileage tranny in and that is where I stand right now. Little by little I chip away at stuff. But I'm the same way with my car (sentimental reasons).

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2095203548.html - Speaking of high mileage, hears an Outback from around where I live.

If it were near here, I'd jump on it.

This legacy really sold me on Subaru's. I also have a Forrester with 215K.

I figure if the engine goes on the Legacy, I'll drop a new one in and keep going. I really love the body style and it's cheaper than buying a new vehicle.

I sold my 97 lgt w/ 168k miles as winter was starting here in co and w/ in 4 hrs of posting on craigs... it got into a bidding war and. I sold it for $3100 when I listed it for only $2700 gotta love the resale value in the rocky mtns. Not so much when I bought my 05 lgt had to buy it out of state

Just bought a 96 Legacy L Wagon 5spd today with 166K for $2400 :)

Question: I have no records for this car. At 166k miles, the timing belt must have been replaced at some point am I right? Any other maint. I should just go ahead and do? It's getting an oil change, coolant is clean and green, small oil leak, all other fluids look good and axles look fine. Thoughts? thanks

Should have the 2.2, and should NOT be running on the original t-belt. You should be all set for another 35k miles I think. Most of the time the belt is changed out at 100k. If you want to, a belt, water pump, and thermostat (and even a tensioner) is under $200, and you can do it just to have the added security that you know that it's all set. Check the simple things: plugs, air filter, wires, all fluids, tires...I'd imagine that you're running on the original struts too. Might want to swap those out...and then the mod bug bites ;)

At 166k it could still be running the original Tbelt.... It's a non-interference engine, so if it breaks it won't kill the car at least.

My family has a 99 outback with the DOHC. We didn't do the timing belt until about 160k...... Running in borrowed time for sure!

335,843.... runs great. i weekly take it out to the back roads and plow though snow filled trails and 6 foot snow piles at the end of the trails. i loss my bumper awhile back and ran it over. still summer i may do the 50dollar paint job. it looks. if done right it comes out good, even after 3 years.

335,843.... runs great. i weekly take it out to the back roads and plow though snow filled trails and 6 foot snow piles at the end of the trails. i loss my bumper awhile back and ran it over. still summer i may do the 50dollar paint job. it looks. if done right it comes out good, even after 3 years.

I have no bumper since my Ex G/F (who pays for gas and stuff) rear ended someone. Still running strong at 170k. I feel I need to do some routine maintenance now though.

Got '97 back from kids. Would like to use it for back country to access trails off logging roads. Need to increase clearance. Any easy advice to lift:mechanically handicapped. Pete

Lifted my 98. Search this forum... I have a thread that tells you how to do it.