LegacyGT.com

Horrific trunk squeak on an 07 Spec B

I have been plagued by this trunk queak for a very long time. I have tried to pinpoint where it is coming from and I am having no luck resolving the issue. I have lubed all of the hinge points or torsion bars to no avail. It does appear, now, to be coming from the connection between the trunk lid itself and the bars. At one point I semi-resolved the issue by tightening the trunk bolts down but then the squeak came back pretty quickly.

I just tried to silicone spray the bolts after I loosened them up and that didn't seem to do anything at all.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and how did you resolve it?

Thanks,

-Nick

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem and it's the most obnoxious sound ever. I tried lubing with napa sil-glyde (didn't do anything) and then subaru silicone spray, the spray seems to have helped a little but there is still some creaking. Granted I did try to lube with the torsion bars in place since I'm not comfortable removing them, I was hoping the lube would work itself in if I opened and closed the trunk a bunch of times.

I've though about installing trunk struts, but I really don't want to go through the trouble if there's an easier way to fix this. I'm thinking the torsion bar brackets might've chewed through the paint on the torsion bars, and the noise is from the metal to metal contact? I have no idea.

Here's a video of the sound before I did anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7JT6Ym7zrI

I'm happy to report I was able to fix my trunk creaking. I had previously tried to lubricate where the trunk torsion bars sit on their brackets. It turns out I needed to lubricate the trunk lid hinge up under the rear deck, near the torsion bars. I sprayed a bunch of silicone spray at the driver side and passenger side hinges from every angle, and problem solved. My trunk still makes a little noise, but far from the ghetto creaking that it use to do before.

Video of how it sounds now

http://youtu.be/Bmhefa3Kajo

hingeside.thumb.jpg.be15f725b8950f56bbd0648b3caa2b7c.jpg

hinge.underneath.thumb.jpg.b08d03b82d142d364d884f80574c0abc.jpg

• 1 month later...
Sorry for reviving an old(ish) thread, but just an FYI for others experiencing the trunk creak: stick with a spray-type lithium or silicone lube. I attempted this with the lithium grease I had on hand (3 huge tubes that will probably last me for a lifetime) and a toothpick for application and while it reduced the creak by a significant amount, it's still there (slightly) at the top of the range of motion. Spray types will probably be a bit better for penetration as well as for reaching those hard-to-hit angles.

What do you suggest using on driver and passenger windows that are screeching on the rubber piece on the inside of the window? Sorry if this is off topic but I couldn't find an answer anywhere and its soooo annoying rolling my windows up and down

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

What do you suggest using on driver and passenger windows that are screeching on the rubber piece on the inside of the window? Sorry if this is off topic but I couldn't find an answer anywhere and its soooo annoying rolling my windows up and down

Eagerly awaiting a response on this one...

• 1 year later...

I recently fixed this by using 303 Aerospace Protectant on the inner window seal.

Archived