LegacyGT.com

2008 spec b navigation mod question

precioso6804

hello everybody,

I have a 2008 subaru legacy spec b that came with a kenwood TV model: FGZ204UF2.

I trying to upgrade that TV with all in one aftermarket GPS, using the existing hole in the dash, but I can't find the pin-out of the 16 pins and 20 pins connectors. On the 16 pins connector only 12 have a cable connected to it and in the 20 pins connector on have four cable on it. I found a post here that talked about installing a nav on non-nav subaru but the nav model is different than mine plus is missing the speaker, speed and reverse because the current nav used it. So, i only need the whole pin-out details because the cables are already there.

I attached the nav and car pictures.

thanks for help in advance.

2030439275_2012-02-2414_25_37.thumb.jpg.a342ab3b5154183210e59f8cf31acacc.jpg

1765225533_2012-02-2414_25_30.thumb.jpg.ceb9eb8bb462765236a854373d70cfba.jpg

589904317_2012-02-2414_40_34.thumb.jpg.e6273d0870a20c9b368db31f9d9e0318.jpg

786025409_2012-02-2414_40_46.thumb.jpg.61f726aa85efb187700aa78ca04ae718.jpg

• 1 year later...
hello everybody,

I have a 2008 subaru legacy spec b that came with a kenwood TV model: FGZ204UF2.

I trying to upgrade that TV with all in one aftermarket GPS, using the existing hole in the dash, but I can't find the pin-out of the 16 pins and 20 pins connectors. On the 16 pins connector only 12 have a cable connected to it and in the 20 pins connector on have four cable on it. I found a post here that talked about installing a nav on non-nav subaru but the nav model is different than mine plus is missing the speaker, speed and reverse because the current nav used it. So, i only need the whole pin-out details because the cables are already there.

I attached the nav and car pictures.

thanks for help in advance.

As I sit here with my dash in my lap I'm asking myself this same question. What can I replace this dinosaur with? Bumping in hopes someone might actually answer. I can't even find a manual for this dinosaur anywhere online. The Subaru parts online store says it's discontinued which seems odd since it's only a 2008. I am trying to figure out if the yellow video port is for input.. or output. Hm.

I think i love you:wub:

What is the second manual for? Looking through the first manual, it still doesn't tell me if the video connection on the back is input or output. However, IF i can find a replacement (hoping subaru of america will get back to me) then this won't matter. Every place i've gone to tells me I am stuck with this setup permanently. I can't accept that.

I think i love you:wub:

What is the second manual for? Looking through the first manual, it still doesn't tell me if the video connection on the back is input or output. However, IF i can find a replacement (hoping subaru of america will get back to me) then this won't matter. Every place i've gone to tells me I am stuck with this setup permanently. I can't accept that.

The second manual is for the unit under the driver seat. Where the disc and 'nav' unit are.

sorry guys there is no direct replacement for our navigation. As for the 4 pin connector it's not that hard to make one.

Not direct but there's a JDM dash kit and I believe it's SVXdc who makes the wiring harness pieces to allow for a nice 2 din or 1 unit installation.

The 4-pin Molex socket is strictly for the rear camera function. That and the yellow aux RCA are completely independent of each other. You don't need anything in the camera socket for the aux to work.

One of the buttons at the bottom of the monitor unit pulls up the aux input (also independent of whatever the OEM HU is doing -- i.e., it doesn't have to be switched to its aux audio input). If I recall, you have to ground the parking brake input into the monitor (either have the p. brake engaged, or hack the factory wire).

Some people rigged things up so they could watch a camera in the aux input (i.e., without being in reverse gear). At least one person also added a video switch so he could have multiple video devices connected (or the rear camera plus another device, such as a DVD player or game console). There are other thread(s) that talk about that.

The 4-pin Molex socket is strictly for the rear camera function. That and the yellow aux RCA are completely independent of each other. You don't need anything in the camera socket for the aux to work.

One of the buttons at the bottom of the monitor unit pulls up the aux input (also independent of whatever the OEM HU is doing -- i.e., it doesn't have to be switched to its aux audio input). If I recall, you have to ground the parking brake input into the monitor (either have the p. brake engaged, or hack the factory wire).

Some people rigged things up so they could watch a camera in the aux input (i.e., without being in reverse gear). At least one person also added a video switch so he could have multiple video devices connected (or the rear camera plus another device, such as a DVD player or game console). There are other thread(s) that talk about that.

I have to disagree. I hooked and ipad 2 up with a RCA out and got nothing. Unless you can identify the button that pulls up AUX....

The monitor has a physical switch inside the RCA jack. It only checks that at boot up (when you turn your key from off to ACC or ON). If you try to plug in something after that time, it keeps the aux input disabled.

Once the monitor has recognized that you have an aux device plugged in, press the INFO button to pull up that video. Press INFO again to go to the data screens you normally saw when you didn't have an aux video source. As I said, your parking brake must be engaged (or you must hack the wire to permanently ground that input into the monitor).

The monitor has a physical switch inside the RCA jack. It only checks that at boot up (when you turn your key from off to ACC or ON). If you try to plug in something after that time, it keeps the aux input disabled.

Once the monitor has recognized that you have an aux device plugged in, press the INFO button to pull up that video. Press INFO again to go to the data screens you normally saw when you didn't have an aux video source. As I said, your parking brake must be engaged (or you must hack the wire to permanently ground that input into the monitor).

Trying this tomorrow. Parking break is always engaged when parked because my viper system requires it. Also found this: HERE

Archived