LegacyGT.com

are these good tires?

muddy02

i just got a quote on a new tire for 18" Rotas that i want to put on my LGT. Anyone have any opinions on the FUZION ZRI BL 225/40R18 ? Also, i was thinking of using them this winter. Or are they not good in the snow? should i wait til the spring to swap wheels/tires? i have the sotck RE92's right now. any help would be appreciated. thanks!
It's not about speed, it's about acceleration!

thanks for taking the time to write back. I don't think they are classified as "All season" but Tire rack suggested them as all season tires. Usually they have an AS or ASX designation right?

Per the Tire Rack site, those ZRi tires are Summer tires, the Fuzion HRi are the all-season.

You do NOT want to run the ZRi in winter!! I would recommend getting winter tires on your stock rims (rather than all-season).

Ron

I suspect they are not the best but they are quite cheap.

According to CR H-rated tires:

15 Bridgestone Potenza G009

16 Dayton Daytona HR (it is Bridgestone brand)

17 Fuzion HRi (it is Bridgestone too)

With Bridgestone ~ 40% more expensive than its brands but almost equal in performance.

Krzys

I run ZRi on my Z and do NOT use them in winter. They are summer tires and will likely get you in an accident driving on snow. They do ok in the dry but you have to wait for them to warm up. The good thing about them is that they have good thread life and cheap.

If you're only looking for Bridgestone, then look into the RE960A/S for all season. Which I believe are available in the sizes you need.

If you keep your stockers for winter wheels, look into a set of good Winter tires, then look for some nice Summer only options for the 18" wheels. Again, if for some reason you're just looking for Bridgestone, check out the RE050 series, particularly the RE050A PP

If it's just all season for you, and you still want the 18" wheel but are open to other manufacturers, check out the Toyo Proxes 4, the Pirelli PZero Nero, Michelin Pilot Sport, and Kumho ASX

If you're only looking for Bridgestone, then look into the RE960A/S for all season. Which I believe are available in the sizes you need.

If you keep your stockers for winter wheels, look into a set of good Winter tires, then look for some nice Summer only options for the 18" wheels. Again, if for some reason you're just looking for Bridgestone, check out the RE050 series, particularly the RE050A PP

If it's just all season for you, and you still want the 18" wheel but are open to other manufacturers, check out the Toyo Proxes 4, the Pirelli PZero Nero, Michelin Pilot Sport, and Kumho ASX

I'm glad to hear your suggestions. I spent about an hour talking with the guy at Town Fair Tire last night, and i'll try to summarize my situation without confusing everyone:

My buddy had a WRX with Kumho ECSTA Supra 712's on his 18" Rota's (summer tires only). So he's giving them to me. I'm still running stock. One of his wheel's had a flat, so i figure i'll just get another Supra 712, right? Well turns out the tread is too far gone to just replace one on an AWD, so i need 4 new tires if i were to use these 18's. i hadn't planned on buying 4 new tires, but since i am, i think i would just get a set of All Season's and forget swapping back and forth.

so right now, i'm getting quoted both a set of 4 new Supra 712's, and ALSO a set of Kumho ASX's.

So i'm glad someone suggested the the ASX's. I think i'm gonna go with those, and keep them on year round.

To answer the Bridgestone question, they tried to pimp the Fuzion since i went to a Firestone shop. They came accross as about $40 over priced than tire rack. screw that. If the kumho ASX's are good all seasons, i will go with those.

thanks for allllllll the help guys!!

Tirerack has a huge sale on the contiental contiextreme contact high performance A/S tires.

I have them on mine, and I love them

They are about $20 off per tire right now for the 215/45/17 and 225/45/17 on tirerack. Don't know how much is the discount for the 18's because I wasn't looking for them. The price sure is tempting for me...

They are about $20 off per tire right now for the 215/45/17 and 225/45/17 on tirerack. Don't know how much is the discount for the 18's because I wasn't looking for them. The price sure is tempting for me...

Just curious, what are you using in CO right now? All season RE92's? if so, how were they. I have yet to experience a winter with this car yet, so i have nothing to base the RE92's on in the snow.

Def give them a look, If they are about the same $ I'd go with them.

i just checked them out on the site,

225/40ZR18 Continental ContiExtremeContact Blackwall In Stock 012345678

$115.00 each $460.00 set of 4

225/40ZR18 Kumho ECSTA ASX Blackwall In Stock 012345678

$85.00 each $340.00 set of 4

i guess this means that the Kumho's are a better buy. agreed?

(have i prompted everyone who doesn't have them yet into thinking about All Seasons? :lol: )

Well, a better price doesn't necessarily mean a better buy. I have no personal experience with either tire to base my opinion on though, so on price alone, yes, a better buy and by a healthy margin.

I think what people are saying though is if you have the option to buy winter tires now, and dedicated summer tires AND have individual sets of wheel to mount them on, that would be the preferred method. :)

I had a hard time convincing myself to get winter tires, but I'll just buy the summer tires in the spring, and in reality, since I'm not running the tires year round, they should end up costing about the same amount.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41976

First impression while mounting........thin sidewalls and no rim protector. The 225's are a must for rim coverage. They balanced nicely. I did not perform an alignment yet as to get a subjective opinion on their performance.

I will start with my only bitch right now, they flat spot when the car sits and cools.:icon_mad: Tire presure is set to 35 frt and rear.

1. Ride comfort is cushier on impacts, but the BS's were overall smoother. I think once tread wears down, they will be comparable.

2. Dry road grip is 100% better that the BS's......no squeal and I swear the car feels more neutral, less understeer is very noticible. You can enter corners much, much faster than before. Grip coming out of corners on full throttle GRIPS.

3. Straight line stability is top notch, gets better as speed increases.:icon_bigg No shimmy at all once warmed up. You can feel more "road feel" with these tires.

4. Noise; They seem quieter than the BS's but it is a different type of tire noise....more of a "white" noise if you will. You don't get that "hollow" sound I had before.

Rain and snow still have to be determined, but for $87.00 each including shipping, they are a great tire.

I rate them an "8". If it weren't for the rumble while they are warming up, it would be a "9".

i agree, an individual set for winter/summer would be ideal. The only problem, is all i have right now, are 17's with RE92's on them. They would be summer tires (not what i want at all). If buying one set of ASX's gets me on 18's year round, i'm game for that.

Thanks for all the help guys. i'm headed to the Subaru dealer to get some quotes (would they mount them for free do you think?) i'll review these tires as soon as i can.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41976

First impression while mounting........thin sidewalls and no rim protector. The 225's are a must for rim coverage. They balanced nicely. I did not perform an alignment yet as to get a subjective opinion on their performance.

I will start with my only bitch right now, they flat spot when the car sits and cools.:icon_mad: Tire presure is set to 35 frt and rear.

1. Ride comfort is cushier on impacts, but the BS's were overall smoother. I think once tread wears down, they will be comparable.

2. Dry road grip is 100% better that the BS's......no squeal and I swear the car feels more neutral, less understeer is very noticible. You can enter corners much, much faster than before. Grip coming out of corners on full throttle GRIPS.

3. Straight line stability is top notch, gets better as speed increases.:icon_bigg No shimmy at all once warmed up. You can feel more "road feel" with these tires.

4. Noise; They seem quieter than the BS's but it is a different type of tire noise....more of a "white" noise if you will. You don't get that "hollow" sound I had before.

Rain and snow still have to be determined, but for $87.00 each including shipping, they are a great tire.

I rate them an "8". If it weren't for the rumble while they are warming up, it would be a "9".

Pump those babies up.......39f/37r

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I'll 2nd what ih8vtec13 said in the post above.

You are planning on buying a set of wheels & tires now anyway, so why not get winter tires for the 17" rims now, then defer the purchase of summer tires for the 18" rims until next Spring?

I am a charter member of the "All-Season Tire = No-Season Tire" club.

All that a/s tires really have is a tread comound that works in temps below 40F (unlike summer compound tires). They offer very little to assist in winter driving in crappy conditions.

Ron

I'll 2nd what ih8vtec13 said in the post above.

You are planning on buying a set of wheels & tires now anyway, so why not get winter tires for the 17" rims now, then defer the purchase of summer tires for the 18" rims until next Spring?

I am a charter member of the "All-Season Tire = No-Season Tire" club.

All that a/s tires really have is a tread comound that works in temps below 40F (unlike summer compound tires). They offer very little to assist in winter driving in crappy conditions.

i totally agree with you. i just wanted to try to avoid buying TWO sets of tires if i didn't have to, while keeping one set of 18's on. I just wish the RE92's didn't suck, i could just use them in the winter!

Really? I have to check the sidewall, they are not XL rated (usually says 40psi on sidewall with XL) I think the sidewall shows 36psi.

I thought of that, but if you saw the roads I have to take to hit the highway you'd recomend 31' BGF All Terrain TA's:lol:

Really? I have to check the sidewall, they are not XL rated (usually says 40psi on sidewall with XL) I think the sidewall shows 36psi.

I thought of that, but if you saw the roads I have to take to hit the highway you'd recomend 31' BGF All Terrain TA's:lol:

All of the ASX tires have a max psi of 50-51.

Up to 40 psi is no BFD for street use.

Ron

Archived