LegacyGT.com

('09 SE) 5-speed shift points

I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.....

'09 SE, stick, no modifications, 20,500 miles

I came from the Honda world where the engines encouraged high revving shift points due to good hp but low torque.

I am now in the Legacy and haven't figured out good shift points yet. For normal driving, I am shifting around 3,500 RPM and for quick acceleration, I am shifting around 5,000 RPM. How bad am I butchering the power/torque curve?

thanks

I have a dyno sheet for my car, same specs as yours. Mind you I don't have it on me so this is a guesstimate. Max power and torque are around 4500 RPM. Those values for peak whp and wtq are about 126 and 127. So, for quicker acceleration you're going to need to see 4500+ to get on it. In spirited driving I may go up to 5500-5800 tops, but much more than that, it doesn't really provide much benefit to our cars. It really just helps to have higher RPMs when you shift to the next gear thus hitting the peak of the curve sooner. So what you are doing, revving to 5000, isn't bad at all as far as the curves go.

For normal driving I usually rev to 3000 tops, 3500+ for on ramps. Depending on speed limits I'll either go to 3k and shift each gear. Or rev up a little higher to 3.5k or 4k then skip gears, example: 2-> 4 once again depending on what speed I'm getting up to.

I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.....

'09 SE, stick, no modifications, 20,500 miles

I came from the Honda world where the engines encouraged high revving shift points due to good hp but low torque.

I am now in the Legacy and haven't figured out good shift points yet. For normal driving, I am shifting around 3,500 RPM and for quick acceleration, I am shifting around 5,000 RPM. How bad am I butchering the power/torque curve?

thanks

Well the problem is the same as your honda but worse due to AWD and not having a turbo. The 2.5i isn't a performer in that regard LOL. You will find that a high RPM shift isn't typical due to the ECU holding the RPMs while the clutch is in, anyway don't expect this car to zip like a civic it is slow and not much you can due to improve that :)

Well the problem is the same as your honda but worse due to AWD and not having a turbo. The 2.5i isn't a performer in that regard LOL. You will find that a high RPM shift isn't typical due to the ECU holding the RPMs while the clutch is in, anyway don't expect this car to zip like a civic it is slow and not much you can due to improve that :)
all true what you say, except I don't understand the ECU comment. This is a manual tranny, it shifts when I tell it to. :)

I wasn't talking about improving performance, racing or trying to be a "race" car of any type. Just trying to utilize the 2.5i gearing to the best that it can give.

Well the problem is the same as your honda but worse due to AWD and not having a turbo.

You have driven a Honda VTEC? The DEFINITION of high rev no TQ.

N/a boxer motors provide more low end grunt and less high end power than Honda motors. OP whatever feels right is what you should be doing for DD. Dont look at the gauge, drive with your ears and ass.

For spirited driving make sure you are not dropping below 4000-4500rpm so you will have to shift well after 5000rpm or slip the clutch into the next gear.

My Honda track builds often did not start making much power before 5000-5500rpm+! (rev to 9000rpm+)

... or slip the clutch into the next gear...

Wha? Why would you do that?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^like when you change gears mid/entering/exiting turn. you know, stupid agressive driving

The vtec and our avls are the same in theory and both offer Little TQ up top if that clears things up.

To the OP, if you ever try to shift really quick you will notice that the driveline doesn't unload the split second your off the throttle these cars are drive by wire. And that comment was more geared toward the fact the the ECU holds the RPM btwn shift bc it is programed as such to promote smoother shifting ( it assumes gearbox and engine speeds are equal thus a smooth shock free engagment of the clutch) this is annoying bc sometimes you want the RPMs to drop like say you go to shift and see the light change and want to gear down if you notice the rpm will float at the point you pressed the clutch for a few seconds

Anyway drive it the way that feels best to you and do not launch it or slip the clutch as these gearboxes don't like either not to mention your engine doesn't make enough power to spin the tires unless youre on snow or wet Tarmac or grass

Archived