LegacyGT.com

Im starting to smell burnt plastic under the hood?

Lately I have been noticing a bad smell while driving. I thought it may be an exhaust leak but after closer inspection I found the smell coming from under the hood. I see what looks like smoke rising from the passengers side of the engine after doing any driving and I dont think its a good thing. I dont see anything like wiring on the exhaust manifold or a plastic bag sucked up under the car so I am hoping someone has had this problem before. Could it be coolant leaking or some other fluid? It seems like turning on the A/C makes it worse and ya, thats about all the info I have.

I am going to take it into the dealer this week so any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated.

^ n00bs below this line

OMG, that sounds very similar with a hot day and smoke from under the hood, WOW! So what happened, did you have to claim insurance or did Subaru take care of it?
^ n00bs below this line

I pretty sure we're talking about two different things, anyways I drove my car for a week before the dealership got the parts in. Keep an eye on your oil level and stay out of the boost, you should be ok.

Ok, I think I have it narrowed down to the turbo oil feed inlet, and after smelling it again I would say that smells about right, more so than plastic, it seems like this should be more well known since this can have dire consequences.

Do you think spirited driving/track days played a part in this problem or is it just a random faulty part?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/complaintresults.cfm?start=1&SearchType=DrillDown&type=1&year=2007&make=SUBARU&model=LEGACY&component_id=0&summary=true&PrintVersion=YES

^ n00bs below this line

When I took it in yesterday Subaru tried to tell me it was my CV joint, what dorks! I dont even have to drive, I can just let me car idle for 5 minutes and it will start smoking. :p
^ n00bs below this line

Ok, so its confirmed that it was the turbo oil hose! But I had to spend an hour fighting with them to get a rental car while the part takes 2 days to get here. Get this, their reason for not giving me a rental car was that they only do it for safety related issues. MY CAR CATCHING FIRE AND BURNING TO THE GROUND ISNT A SAFETY CONCERN?!?!?!?!?!?! Finally I got through to someone at the Subaru Customer Service hotline and they took care of me but it seems like such an ordeal for such a no-duh decision. Anyways, I just wanted to keep this thread updated incase someone else runs into this problem one day. I may hate Subaru for a couple weeks but I sure as hell still love my Legacy! :D
^ n00bs below this line

I had the same issue with the oil feed lines. Apparently whatever is holding them on (bad solder maybe?) cracks and that leaks oil on extremely hot things under the hood. Smoke ensues and morale becomes low.

Dealer knew exactly what the issue was as soon as i brought it in. Took a week but new ones (nothing special, just replacements) are holding up so far (knock on wood!) :rolleyes:

i know its diff but car is pretty much the same engine and tranny set up but i have the same smell and same simptums but there is a small leak from my tranny seal and it smoke and smells like greasey or oil burning so check out under there put it up on some ramps when it warms up and look under there and see what the problem is u know kinda see whats going on for yourself you know

• 1 month later...
when exactly do you guys get this smell? i have been noticing the burning smell every morning for the past couple days, but it only lasts for about 30 seconds before it is gone. maybe i have such a tiny leak that the small amount of oil is able to burn off in that time?

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

I notice a burning smell that is coming out from under my driverside. It appears that the powersteering rack is leaky and directly above the exhaust. Does Lucas Oil powersteering conditioner work? Maybe the seals are leaky and that will condition them.. I notice the smell when I'm stopped at a light and it wafts into the car. regards,

Pete

Just check what is leaking first and try to rectify it.

Some power steering seals will die if the wrong oil is used. (I don't know how sensitive Subarus are to this)

I know that Porsche 944 suffers from this and it will result in a complete disaster if the wrong oil is used.

453747.png

Lately I have been noticing a bad smell while driving. I thought it may be an exhaust leak but after closer inspection I found the smell coming from under the hood. I see what looks like smoke rising from the passengers side of the engine after doing any driving and I dont think its a good thing. I dont see anything like wiring on the exhaust manifold or a plastic bag sucked up under the car so I am hoping someone has had this problem before. Could it be coolant leaking or some other fluid? It seems like turning on the A/C makes it worse and ya, thats about all the info I have.

I am going to take it into the dealer this week so any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated.

Goddamn! Subaru has worse problems with oil leaking in the 90's and 20's than Volkswagen had in the 60's and 70's. They use to say you could tell where a bug drove by the line of oil! Goddamn, I guess subarus you could tell where one has been by the big puddle of oil!!!

Also if you can differentiate the different smell between power steering oil from crankcase oil, to transmission oil that would help.

when exactly do you guys get this smell? i have been noticing the burning smell every morning for the past couple days, but it only lasts for about 30 seconds before it is gone. maybe i have such a tiny leak that the small amount of oil is able to burn off in that time?

No the oil is'nt burning off. The engine component is heating up and expanding thus creating a tighter seal. The problem is underlying. Just like a piston and it's rings.

Archived